11.0-RC1 unsupported by ports?

Bernd Walter-4
[61]cnc# make install
/!\ ERROR: /!\

Ports Collection support for your FreeBSD version has ended, and no ports are
guaranteed to build on this system. Please upgrade to a supported release.

No support will be provided if you silence this message by defining
ALLOW_UNSUPPORTED_SYSTEM.

*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[1]: stopped in /usr/ports/misc/raspberrypi-userland
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/ports/misc/raspberrypi-userland
Exit 1
[62]cnc# uname -a
FreeBSD cnc.cicely.de 11.0-RC1 FreeBSD 11.0-RC1 #0 r303979: Fri Aug 12 17:12:13 UTC 2016     [hidden email]:/usr/obj/arm.armv6/usr/src/sys/RPI2  arm

--
B.Walter <[hidden email]> http://www.bwct.de

Re: 11.0-RC1 unsupported by ports?

Kurt Jaeger-14
Hi!

> [61]cnc# make install
> /!\ ERROR: /!\
>
> Ports Collection support for your FreeBSD version has ended, and no ports are
> guaranteed to build on this system. Please upgrade to a supported release.
>
> No support will be provided if you silence this message by defining
> ALLOW_UNSUPPORTED_SYSTEM.

11.0-RC1 was superseded by 11.0-REL, so while that message is a bit
drastic, there's a point to it.

--
[hidden email]            +49 171 3101372                         3 years to go !

On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 07:20:45AM +0100, Kurt Jaeger wrote:

> Hi!
>
> > [61]cnc# make install
> > /!\ ERROR: /!\
> >
> > Ports Collection support for your FreeBSD version has ended, and no ports are
> > guaranteed to build on this system. Please upgrade to a supported release.
> >
> > No support will be provided if you silence this message by defining
> > ALLOW_UNSUPPORTED_SYSTEM.
>
> 11.0-RC1 was superseded by 11.0-REL, so while that message is a bit
> drastic, there's a point to it.

With that argument only the latest version would be supported.
That said, it is a release candidate and as such one could argue that
there never had been any official support at all.
In that case however the message is wrong, because when a support has
ended it implies that there was support.

The check in the code is this one:
.if (${OPSYS} == FreeBSD && (${OSVERSION} < 1003000 || (${OSVERSION} >= 1100000 && ${OSVERSION} < 1100122))) || \
    (${OPSYS} == DragonFly && ${DFLYVERSION} < 400400)

It is not about RC as such, it is explicitly about 11.0-RC.
My OSVERSION is 1100121.
So obviously support starts with the first release.
Fair enough, but then the message is still wrong unless it was supported.

--
B.Walter <[hidden email]> http://www.bwct.de

Re: 11.0-RC1 unsupported by ports?

Kurt Jaeger-8
Hi!

> > 11.0-RC1 was superseded by 11.0-REL, so while that message is a bit
> > drastic, there's a point to it.
>
> With that argument only the latest version would be supported.

https://www.freebsd.org/releases/ lists the supported releases.
There are no release candidates listed.

> That said, it is a release candidate and as such one could argue that
> there never had been any official support at all.
> In that case however the message is wrong, because when a support has
> ended it implies that there was support.
>
> The check in the code is this one:
> .if (${OPSYS} == FreeBSD && (${OSVERSION} < 1003000 || (${OSVERSION} >= 1100000 && ${OSVERSION} < 1100122))) || \
>     (${OPSYS} == DragonFly && ${DFLYVERSION} < 400400)
>
> It is not about RC as such, it is explicitly about 11.0-RC.
> My OSVERSION is 1100121.
> So obviously support starts with the first release.
> Fair enough, but then the message is still wrong unless it was supported.

What's stopping you from upgrading to -REL ?

--
[hidden email]            +49 171 3101372                         3 years to go !

Re: 11.0-RC1 unsupported by ports?

Mark Millard-2

On 2017-Jan-24, at 11:55 PM, Bernd Walter <ticso at cicely7.cicely.de> wrote:

On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 07:20:45AM +0100, Kurt Jaeger wrote:

> Hi!
>
>>> [61]cnc# make install
>>> /!\ ERROR: /!\
>>>
>>> Ports Collection support for your FreeBSD version has ended, and no ports are
>>> guaranteed to build on this system. Please upgrade to a supported release.
>>>
>>> No support will be provided if you silence this message by defining
>>> ALLOW_UNSUPPORTED_SYSTEM.
>>
>> 11.0-RC1 was superseded by 11.0-REL, so while that message is a bit
>> drastic, there's a point to it.
>
> With that argument only the latest version would be supported.
> That said, it is a release candidate and as such one could argue that
> there never had been any official support at all.
> In that case however the message is wrong, because when a support has
> ended it implies that there was support.
>
> The check in the code is this one:
> .if (${OPSYS} == FreeBSD && (${OSVERSION} < 1003000 || (${OSVERSION} >= 1100000 && ${OSVERSION} < 1100122))) || \
>    (${OPSYS} == DragonFly && ${DFLYVERSION} < 400400)
>
> It is not about RC as such, it is explicitly about 11.0-RC.
> My OSVERSION is 1100121.
> So obviously support starts with the first release.
> Fair enough, but then the message is still wrong unless it was supported.
>
> --
> B.Walter <[hidden email]> http://www.bwct.de
> Modbus/TCP Ethernet I/O Baugruppen, ARM basierte FreeBSD Rechner uvm.

This is a new check as of -r431746 (Jan 17). The wording
is simply not explicit about prior history from before
the check was added.

For as "as if the check had been in place for a long time"
interpretation I'd guess:

A) 11.0-RC1 would be considered supported when first created.

https://www.freebsd.org/security/security.html#sup says:

In the run-up to a release, a number of -BETA and -RC releases may be published for testing purposes. These releases are only supported for a few weeks, as resources permit, and will not be listed as supported on this page. Users are strongly discouraged from running these releases on production systems.

B) 11.0-RELEASE would have made 11.0-RC1 not be supported
   (if 11.0-RC1 was even supported for that long).

C) stable/11 is supported

D) head is "supported" (no complaint anyway).

That last (head) is despite:

https://www.freebsd.org/security/security.html#sup

reporting as currently supported:

stable/10
releng/10.3 (10.3-RELEASE)
stable/11
releng/11.0 (11.0-RELEASE)

(head is not mentioned.)

Quoting https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/head/Mk/bsd.port.mk?view=log
. . .

Revision 431746 - (view) (download) (annotate) - [select for diffs]
Modified Tue Jan 17 15:49:16 2017 UTC (7 days, 16 hours ago) by amdmi3
File length: 181933 byte(s)
Diff to previous 431681
- Refuse (overridable) to build ports on unsupported system version

Unfortunately, it's not uncommon for FreeBSD users to not update
their systems timely and thus end up using unsupported FreeBSD
release. These users continue to update ports tree as usual and
expect it to work, either unaware of the release EoL, or not clearly
understanding the consequences, which results in unexpected build
failures, bogus bug reports, attempts to bring back removed legacy
support bits and general discontent.

This change introduces system version check which makes ports refuse
to build anything on unsupported system. This makes users aware of
EoL of their system and makes it clear that no port is guaranteed to
build.

The error message tells how to override the check (by defining
ALLOW_UNSUPPORTED_SYSTEM, in which case it's turned into a simple
warning), additionally stressing that this configurartion is not
supported.

Currently outdated are OSVERSION < 1003000 (pre 10.3-RELEASE) and
1100000 <= OSVERSION < 1100122 (from 11-CURRENT'2013 to 11.0-PRERELEASE)

I expect these to be kept up to date with base system lifetimes,
be updated BEFORE removing any support for outdated release from
the tree and also serve as a reference of which OSVERSION checks
may be removed.

Approved by: portmgr (swills, mat)
Differential Revision: D9210

===
Mark Millard
markmi at dsl-only.net

Mark wrote:
> In the run-up to a release, a number of -BETA and -RC releases may be published for testing purposes. These releases are only supported for a few weeks, as resources permit, and will not be listed as supported on this page. Users are strongly discouraged from running these releases on production systems.
>
> B) 11.0-RELEASE would have made 11.0-RC1 not be supported
>    (if 11.0-RC1 was even supported for that long).
>
> C) stable/11 is supported
>
> D) head is "supported" (no complaint anyway).

HEAD is for testing, it's not supported in the word-smithing kind of way 8-}

On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 09:13:18AM +0100, Kurt Jaeger wrote:

> Hi!
>
> > > 11.0-RC1 was superseded by 11.0-REL, so while that message is a bit
> > > drastic, there's a point to it.
> >
> > With that argument only the latest version would be supported.
>
> https://www.freebsd.org/releases/ lists the supported releases.
> There are no release candidates listed.
>
> > That said, it is a release candidate and as such one could argue that
> > there never had been any official support at all.
> > In that case however the message is wrong, because when a support has
> > ended it implies that there was support.
> >
> > The check in the code is this one:
> > .if (${OPSYS} == FreeBSD && (${OSVERSION} < 1003000 || (${OSVERSION} >= 1100000 && ${OSVERSION} < 1100122))) || \
> >     (${OPSYS} == DragonFly && ${DFLYVERSION} < 400400)
> >
> > It is not about RC as such, it is explicitly about 11.0-RC.
> > My OSVERSION is 1100121.
> > So obviously support starts with the first release.
> > Fair enough, but then the message is still wrong unless it was supported.
>
> What's stopping you from upgrading to -REL ?

Buildworld on a raspberry isn't fun - if it works at all.
Even if you crossbuild and just copy the binaries, the wear of
MicroSD cards isn't something you want to test unless you really
have to.

On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 09:33:46AM +0100, Kurt Jaeger wrote:

> Hi!!
>
> Mark wrote:
> > In the run-up to a release, a number of -BETA and -RC releases may be published for testing purposes. These releases are only supported for a few weeks, as resources permit, and will not be listed as supported on this page. Users are strongly discouraged from running these releases on production systems.
> >
> > B) 11.0-RELEASE would have made 11.0-RC1 not be supported
> >    (if 11.0-RC1 was even supported for that long).
> >
> > C) stable/11 is supported
> >
> > D) head is "supported" (no complaint anyway).
>
> HEAD is for testing, it's not supported in the word-smithing kind of way 8-}

Well, the main cause for confusion was the wording and I didn't know
what exactly it triggers, plus it first happened to me on an arm
based system and wasn't sure if that unsupported was related to arm.

--
B.Walter <[hidden email]> http://www.bwct.de

Re: 11.0-RC1 unsupported by ports?

Daniel Braniss-2

> On 25 Jan 2017, at 10:47, Bernd Walter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 09:13:18AM +0100, Kurt Jaeger wrote:
>> Hi!

>>> With that argument only the latest version would be supported.
>>
>> https://www.freebsd.org/releases/ lists the supported releases.
>> There are no release candidates listed.
>>
>>> That said, it is a release candidate and as such one could argue that
>>> there never had been any official support at all.
>>> In that case however the message is wrong, because when a support has
>>> ended it implies that there was support.
>>>
>>> The check in the code is this one:
>>> .if (${OPSYS} == FreeBSD && (${OSVERSION} < 1003000 || (${OSVERSION} >= 1100000 && ${OSVERSION} < 1100122))) || \
>>>    (${OPSYS} == DragonFly && ${DFLYVERSION} < 400400)
>>>
>>> It is not about RC as such, it is explicitly about 11.0-RC.
>>> My OSVERSION is 1100121.
>>> So obviously support starts with the first release.
>>> Fair enough, but then the message is still wrong unless it was supported.
>>
>> What's stopping you from upgrading to -REL ?
>
> Buildworld on a raspberry isn't fun - if it works at all.
> Even if you crossbuild and just copy the binaries, the wear of
> MicroSD cards isn't something you want to test unless you really
> have to.

most of the time this works for me:
        mount host:/export-to-rpi/local /usr/local
        echo ‘WRKDIRPREFIX=/var/tmp’ >> /etc/make.conf
        mount via nfs /var/tmp, i.e.
                mount host:/export-to-rpi/tmp  /var/tmp
        also add swap via nfs:
                mount host:/export-to-rpi/swap /mnt-swap
                swapon /mnt-swap

> --
> B.Walter <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> http://www.bwct.de <http://www.bwct.de/>
> Modbus/TCP Ethernet I/O Baugruppen, ARM basierte FreeBSD Rechner uvm.

Re: 11.0-RC1 unsupported by ports?

Ralf Wenk-5
On Wed, 25 Jan 2017 09:47:39 +0100, Bernd Walter wrote:
> Buildworld on a raspberry isn't fun - if it works at all.
> Even if you crossbuild and just copy the binaries, the wear of
> MicroSD cards isn't something you want to test unless you really
> have to.

Just for the records: It works and takes about 4.5 days on a raspberry B
using an USB stick. The last stick survived  almost 7 month with
approximately two buildworld a month.
In my experience using NFS was slower. I did not try buildworld on a SD
card.

Ralf

Re: 11.0-RC1 unsupported by ports?

Mathieu Arnold-2
Le 25/01/2017 à 08:55, Bernd Walter a écrit :

> On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 07:20:45AM +0100, Kurt Jaeger wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>>> [61]cnc# make install
>>> /!\ ERROR: /!\
>>>
>>> Ports Collection support for your FreeBSD version has ended, and no ports are
>>> guaranteed to build on this system. Please upgrade to a supported release.
>>>
>>> No support will be provided if you silence this message by defining
>>> ALLOW_UNSUPPORTED_SYSTEM.
>> 11.0-RC1 was superseded by 11.0-REL, so while that message is a bit
>> drastic, there's a point to it.
> With that argument only the latest version would be supported.
> That said, it is a release candidate and as such one could argue that
> there never had been any official support at all.
> In that case however the message is wrong, because when a support has
> ended it implies that there was support.
>
> The check in the code is this one:
> .if (${OPSYS} == FreeBSD && (${OSVERSION} < 1003000 || (${OSVERSION} >= 1100000 && ${OSVERSION} < 1100122))) || \
>     (${OPSYS} == DragonFly && ${DFLYVERSION} < 400400)
>
> It is not about RC as such, it is explicitly about 11.0-RC.
> My OSVERSION is 1100121.
> So obviously support starts with the first release.
> Fair enough, but then the message is still wrong unless it was supported.
The alpha/beta/rc versions preceding a release are never supported after
the next alpha/beta/rc is released (meaning beta3 stops being supported
when rc1 goes out, and the last rc stops being supported when the
release goes out.)

Like the message says, you can define ALLOW_UNSUPPORTED_SYSTEM to
continue using the non supported version you are running.

--
Mathieu Arnold

On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 11:52:10AM +0200, Daniel Braniss wrote:

> > On 25 Jan 2017, at 10:47, Bernd Walter <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 09:13:18AM +0100, Kurt Jaeger wrote:
> >> Hi!

> >> https://www.freebsd.org/releases/ lists the supported releases.
> >> There are no release candidates listed.

> >> What's stopping you from upgrading to -REL ?
> >
> > Buildworld on a raspberry isn't fun - if it works at all.
> > Even if you crossbuild and just copy the binaries, the wear of
> > MicroSD cards isn't something you want to test unless you really
> > have to.
>
> most of the time this works for me:
> mount host:/export-to-rpi/local /usr/local
> echo ???WRKDIRPREFIX=/var/tmp??? >> /etc/make.conf
> mount via nfs /var/tmp, i.e.
> mount host:/export-to-rpi/tmp  /var/tmp
> also add swap via nfs:
> mount host:/export-to-rpi/swap /mnt-swap
> swapon /mnt-swap

This has nothing to do with updating the OS itself.

That said, I assume host:/export-to-rpi/local is only used by a
single host.
It gets tricky with shared /usr/local, since the package registration
is in a different path and ports/packages may also touch /etc - e.g.
/etc/shells, or add service users for a specific software.
It is possible to do, but unless you are very carefull things can
easily get messy.
Same goes for /tmp.
Needless to say that swap isn't to be shared at all...
But I'm not sure if swap on NFS is completely deadlock free.

Le 25/01/2017 à 09:47, Bernd Walter a écrit :

> On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 09:13:18AM +0100, Kurt Jaeger wrote:
>> Hi!

>>> With that argument only the latest version would be supported.
>> https://www.freebsd.org/releases/ lists the supported releases.
>> There are no release candidates listed.
>>
>>> That said, it is a release candidate and as such one could argue that
>>> there never had been any official support at all.
>>> In that case however the message is wrong, because when a support has
>>> ended it implies that there was support.
>>>
>>> The check in the code is this one:
>>> .if (${OPSYS} == FreeBSD && (${OSVERSION} < 1003000 || (${OSVERSION} >= 1100000 && ${OSVERSION} < 1100122))) || \
>>>     (${OPSYS} == DragonFly && ${DFLYVERSION} < 400400)
>>>
>>> It is not about RC as such, it is explicitly about 11.0-RC.
>>> My OSVERSION is 1100121.
>>> So obviously support starts with the first release.
>>> Fair enough, but then the message is still wrong unless it was supported.
>> What's stopping you from upgrading to -REL ?
> Buildworld on a raspberry isn't fun - if it works at all.
> Even if you crossbuild and just copy the binaries, the wear of
> MicroSD cards isn't something you want to test unless you really
> have to.
If you have other computers running FreeBSD, you can build /usr/obj on
the other box (using make buildworld TARGET_ARCH=foo (you may have to
check the exact incantation)) copy the /usr/obj, and only run make
installworld.

--
Mathieu Arnold

Re: 11.0-RC1 unsupported by ports?

Daniel Braniss-2

> On 25 Jan 2017, at 12:39, Bernd Walter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 11:52:10AM +0200, Daniel Braniss wrote:

>>> Buildworld on a raspberry isn't fun - if it works at all.
>>> Even if you crossbuild and just copy the binaries, the wear of
>>> MicroSD cards isn't something you want to test unless you really
>>> have to.
>>
>> most of the time this works for me:
>> mount host:/export-to-rpi/local /usr/local
>> echo ???WRKDIRPREFIX=/var/tmp??? >> /etc/make.conf
>> mount via nfs /var/tmp, i.e.
>> mount host:/export-to-rpi/tmp  /var/tmp
>> also add swap via nfs:
>> mount host:/export-to-rpi/swap /mnt-swap
>> swapon /mnt-swap
>
> This has nothing to do with updating the OS itself.
somehow the subject was ‘compiling ports’ to build the os I cross compile
and that works fine.

> That said, I assume host:/export-to-rpi/local is only used by a
> single host.
no, if you take care, we have been sharing /usr/local since way back.
btw, it’s read only for the clients.

> It gets tricky with shared /usr/local, since the package registration
> is in a different path and ports/packages may also touch /etc - e.g.
> /etc/shells, or add service users for a specific software.
> It is possible to do, but unless you are very carefull things can
> easily get messy.
the ports compilation keep things in /var/db, and that tends to cause problems
with pkg - since it insists in locking the sqlite db, so I see that on the SD, and copy it
to more secure location when I’m done (I keep losing track of those small sd cards,
there is hardly any place to put a label on them :-)

> Same goes for /tmp.
> Needless to say that swap isn't to be shared at all…
that would certainly be foolish :-)

> But I'm not sure if swap on NFS is completely deadlock free.

so far It’s been just fine, e.g., compiling pkg takes up a lot of resources
and this was the only way it worked, not to mention gcc. I compiled all
of the X11!

> --
> B.Walter <[hidden email]> http://www.bwct.de
> Modbus/TCP Ethernet I/O Baugruppen, ARM basierte FreeBSD Rechner uvm.

Re: 11.0-RC1 unsupported by ports?

Paul Mather
On Jan 25, 2017, at 5:27 AM, Ralf Wenk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Jan 2017 09:47:39 +0100, Bernd Walter wrote:
>> Buildworld on a raspberry isn't fun - if it works at all.
>> Even if you crossbuild and just copy the binaries, the wear of
>> MicroSD cards isn't something you want to test unless you really
>> have to.
>
> Just for the records: It works and takes about 4.5 days on a raspberry B
> using an USB stick. The last stick survived  almost 7 month with
> approximately two buildworld a month.
> In my experience using NFS was slower. I did not try buildworld on a SD
> card.

FWIW, it takes my Raspberry Pi 2 Model B about 15 hours to complete a fresh buildworld with /usr/src and /usr/obj mounted via NFS.  (Times will vary for subsequent builds when WITH_META_MODE is set.)

I've successfully completed {build,install}{world,kernel} on a SD card, too.  My standard method, though, is to cross-build on another system and then upgrade via pkg.

Cheers,

Paul.