11.1 on RPi3

Andrea Venturoli
Hello.

Is 11.1 expected to work on a Raspberry Pi3?

I've made my image with Crochet, it boots, but panics and keeps
rebooting fast.

I managed to take a picture (since it's too fast to read) and it says
(more or less):

> Loader path: /boot/loader.efi
>
> Initializing modules: ZFS UFS
> Probing 3 block devices...."Synchronous Abort" handler, ...

Any hint on this or is 11.1 just too old?

  bye & Thanks
        av.

Re: 11.1 on RPi3

freebsd-arm mailing list
On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 09:29:10PM +0200, Andrea Venturoli wrote:
> Is 11.1 expected to work on a Raspberry Pi3?
> Any hint on this or is 11.1 just too old?

I cannot tell you.

The release notes of 11.0 contain the phrase
  Initial support for the ARM AArch64 architecture
  has been added.
The release notes of 11.1 does not mention this arch.

The wiki contains more information
  https://wiki.freebsd.org/arm64/rpi3
  https://wiki.freebsd.org/FreeBSD/arm/Raspberry Pi
but talks about CURRENT not 11.1.

Re: 11.1 on RPi3

Andrea Venturoli
On 08/19/17 15:36, irco via freebsd-arm wrote:

> The wiki contains more information
>    https://wiki.freebsd.org/arm64/rpi3
>    https://wiki.freebsd.org/FreeBSD/arm/Raspberry Pi
> but talks about CURRENT not 11.1.

Thanks for your answer.
I had read both those documents (and others), but it's hard to tell what
information is fresh and what is obsolete, as FreeBSD on Raspberry seems
to be a moving target.

I'd happily avoid switching to CURRENT, so if anyone can help in
identifying which is the minimum version needed (e.g. 11-STABLE?), it
would help me much.
Also some more techinal discussion about what is missing from 11.1 would
be very welcome.

  bye & Thanks
        av.

Re: 11.1 on RPi3

Russell Haley
I don't have an rpi but I would recommend testing the ‎binaries provided on the download page to get a baseline answer. Head would have the best support for new boards after that. Code stability is hit or miss (mostly hit right now)  but when you get a good build its generally stable in my experience. TrueOS is based on Head.

If your looking for stability on rpi3, using the 32bit build would probably be a prudent choice as aarch64 is work in progress.

HTH ‎

Russ‎

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on the Virgin Mobile network.
On 08/19/17 15:36, irco via freebsd-arm wrote:

> The wiki contains more information
> https://wiki.freebsd.org/arm64/rpi3
> https://wiki.freebsd.org/FreeBSD/arm/Raspberry Pi
> but talks about CURRENT not 11.1.

Thanks for your answer.
I had read both those documents (and others), but it's hard to tell what
information is fresh and what is obsolete, as FreeBSD on Raspberry seems
to be a moving target.

I'd happily avoid switching to CURRENT, so if anyone can help in
identifying which is the minimum version needed (e.g. 11-STABLE?), it
would help me much.
Also some more techinal discussion about what is missing from 11.1 would
be very welcome.

bye & Thanks
av.

On 08/19/17 15:36, irco via freebsd-arm wrote:

> The wiki contains more information
> https://wiki.freebsd.org/arm64/rpi3
> https://wiki.freebsd.org/FreeBSD/arm/Raspberry Pi
> but talks about CURRENT not 11.1.

Thanks for your answer.
I had read both those documents (and others), but it's hard to tell what
information is fresh and what is obsolete, as FreeBSD on Raspberry seems
to be a moving target.

I'd happily avoid switching to CURRENT, so if anyone can help in
identifying which is the minimum version needed (e.g. 11-STABLE?), it
would help me much.
Also some more techinal discussion about what is missing from 11.1 would
be very welcome.

bye & Thanks
av.

Re: 11.1 on RPi3

Mark Linimon-2
On Sat, Aug 19, 2017 at 03:36:19PM +0200, irco via freebsd-arm wrote:
> The release notes of 11.0 contain the phrase
>   Initial support for the ARM AArch64 architecture
>   has been added.
> The release notes of 11.1 does not mention this arch.

In FreeBSD the tradition is not to drop functionality in the !.0 timeframe.
If that happened there would be a big announcement about it.  It would violate
our "Principle Of Least Astonishment" (POLA) which we try to live by.

> The wiki contains more information
>   https://wiki.freebsd.org/arm64/rpi3
>   https://wiki.freebsd.org/FreeBSD/arm/Raspberry Pi
> but talks about CURRENT not 11.1.

Most of the development for arm is going on in -current.  Not everything is
being merged to 11-STABLE.  There is too much work to do for the volunteers
we have available.

This also applies to the documentation, which is clearly lagging.

Your best bet right now is to join the community on IRC on EFNet on #bsdmips
and ask questions if you need help.  #bsdmips has evolved to be a catchall for
our non-mainstream architectures.

This is just the reality of a volunteer project.

mcl

Re: 11.1 on RPi3

Andrea Venturoli
On 08/20/17 20:07, Russell Haley wrote:
> If your looking for stability on rpi3, using the 32bit build would probably be a prudent choice as aarch64 is work in progress.

AFAICT no 32bit version exists that runs on RPi3.
 From recent threads I understand that not even the latest RPi2 is
supported.
You need an older RPi2 in order to run a 32b version.

  bye & Thanks
        av.

Re: 11.1 on RPi3

Andrea Venturoli
On 08/21/17 06:56, Mark Linimon wrote:

> Most of the development for arm is going on in -current.  Not everything is
> being merged to 11-STABLE.  There is too much work to do for the volunteers
> we have available.

With a customer of mine we are evaluating starting a project with
FreeBSD on Rpi3.
So we might actually try and help if we get some guidance and the
situation is not so bad that my customer decides to move to something else.

> Your best bet right now is to join the community on IRC on EFNet on #bsdmips
> and ask questions if you need help.  #bsdmips has evolved to be a catchall for
> our non-mainstream architectures.

I'll surely do.

  bye & Thanks
        av.

Re: 11.1 on RPi3

Sylvain Garrigues-2
I and a few others are running the armv6 -CURRENT GENERIC kernel and world on RPI3.
We just discussed about it this week-end on #bsdmips on EFNet.
This is work in progress, there are still no official images for it.