6.0-RELEASE Dell PE 850

Johan Kooijman
Morning all,

After ordering a stack of Dell PE 850 boxes I found out, by experience, that
6.0-RELEASE doesn't work with it. It does recognize the S-ATA controller,
but install says it can't find any disks.

The disk is a standard Maxtor 80GB S-ATA disk (although a Seagate didn't
work either). The controller is an Intel ICH7.

Any suggestions?

Regards,
Johan Kooijman

Re: 6.0-RELEASE Dell PE 850

Vick Khera-2

On Nov 14, 2005, at 6:31 AM, Johan Kooijman wrote:

> After ordering a stack of Dell PE 850 boxes I found out, by
> experience, that
> 6.0-RELEASE doesn't work with it. It does recognize the S-ATA
> controller,
> but install says it can't find any disks.

there was some discussion about this on the pfSense (firewall
software built on 6.0) a week or so ago.  Apparently there is some
kernel patch that allows the PE850 to work.  perhaps digging thru the
pfSense mailing list archives will help find it.

Not sure the status of having that patch merged back into the FreeBSD
main code.  I certainly hope it will be, given how popular these
boxes are.

Re: 6.0-RELEASE Dell PE 850

Ronald Klop-2
On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 20:51:36 +0100, Vivek Khera <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Nov 14, 2005, at 6:31 AM, Johan Kooijman wrote:
>
>> After ordering a stack of Dell PE 850 boxes I found out, by experience,
>> that
>> 6.0-RELEASE doesn't work with it. It does recognize the S-ATA
>> controller,
>> but install says it can't find any disks.
>
> there was some discussion about this on the pfSense (firewall software
> built on 6.0) a week or so ago.  Apparently there is some kernel patch
> that allows the PE850 to work.  perhaps digging thru the pfSense mailing
> list archives will help find it.
>
> Not sure the status of having that patch merged back into the FreeBSD
> main code.  I certainly hope it will be, given how popular these boxes
> are.

If the patch is submitted as a PR it will help a lot I think.

--
  Ronald Klop
  Amsterdam, The Netherlands