6rd: when in Base FreeBSD?

Larry Rosenman
Hi,
   I'm currently using pfSense, and it has a working 6rd implementation, and I need 6rd
as that's how ATT Fiber delivers IPv6.

   Apparently for whatever reason, the pfSense guys can't/won't upstream or release their 6rd
patch. (see https://forum.pfsense.org/index.php?topic=137636.0)

   I note on the IPV6todo wiki page (https://wiki.freebsd.org/IPv6TODO) that 6rd is
still a desired feature.

  Is there anything I or the project can do to help here?  (I'm willing to guinea pig it
or have the OpnSense guys test it).

  Thanks!

--
Larry Rosenman                     http://www.lerctr.org/~ler
Phone: +1 214-642-9640                 E-Mail: [hidden email]

Re: 6rd: when in Base FreeBSD?

Luiz Otavio O Souza-4
On 11 October 2017 at 22:01, Larry Rosenman wrote:
> Hi,
>    I'm currently using pfSense, and it has a working 6rd implementation, and I need 6rd
> as that's how ATT Fiber delivers IPv6.
>
>    Apparently for whatever reason, the pfSense guys can't/won't upstream or release their 6rd
> patch. (see https://forum.pfsense.org/index.php?topic=137636.0)

pfSense will upstream the patches when they are ready (unless someone beat us).

While the patches in pfSense are in a workable state, they are not yet
well suited for FreeBSD.

It is possible that hrs@ and others have newer patches too.

Luiz

Re: 6rd: when in Base FreeBSD?

Don Lewis-5
On 11 Oct, Larry Rosenman wrote:

> Hi,
>    I'm currently using pfSense, and it has a working 6rd implementation, and I need 6rd
> as that's how ATT Fiber delivers IPv6.
>
>    Apparently for whatever reason, the pfSense guys can't/won't upstream or release their 6rd
> patch. (see https://forum.pfsense.org/index.php?topic=137636.0)
>
>    I note on the IPV6todo wiki page (https://wiki.freebsd.org/IPv6TODO) that 6rd is
> still a desired feature.
>
>   Is there anything I or the project can do to help here?  (I'm willing to guinea pig it
> or have the OpnSense guys test it).

I'd like to see the patch mentioned go in, but in the meantime I'm using
a gif interface to do this.

Re: 6rd: when in Base FreeBSD?

Larry Rosenman
On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 01:54:10AM +0000, Don Lewis wrote:

> On 11 Oct, Larry Rosenman wrote:
> > Hi,
> >    I'm currently using pfSense, and it has a working 6rd implementation, and I need 6rd
> > as that's how ATT Fiber delivers IPv6.
> >
> >    Apparently for whatever reason, the pfSense guys can't/won't upstream or release their 6rd
> > patch. (see https://forum.pfsense.org/index.php?topic=137636.0)
> >
> >    I note on the IPV6todo wiki page (https://wiki.freebsd.org/IPv6TODO) that 6rd is
> > still a desired feature.
> >
> >   Is there anything I or the project can do to help here?  (I'm willing to guinea pig it
> > or have the OpnSense guys test it).
>

> I'd like to see the patch mentioned go in, but in the meantime I'm using
> a gif interface to do this.

I wasn't able to convince Opnsense or bare FreeBSD to do 6rd with a gif interface.

Is there a good doc on how to do 6rd with gif?

ATT's 6rd parameters:
6rd prefix: 2602:300::/28
6rd border relay: 12.83.49.81
6rd ipv4 prefix length: 0

The WAN address is DHCP.

--
Larry Rosenman                     http://www.lerctr.org/~ler
Phone: +1 214-642-9640                 E-Mail: [hidden email]
US Mail: 5708 Sabbia Drive, Round Rock, TX 78665-2106

Re: 6rd: when in Base FreeBSD?

Don Lewis-5
On 11 Oct, Larry Rosenman wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 01:54:10AM +0000, Don Lewis wrote:
>> On 11 Oct, Larry Rosenman wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >    I'm currently using pfSense, and it has a working 6rd implementation, and I need 6rd
>> > as that's how ATT Fiber delivers IPv6.
>> >
>> >    Apparently for whatever reason, the pfSense guys can't/won't upstream or release their 6rd
>> > patch. (see https://forum.pfsense.org/index.php?topic=137636.0)
>> >
>> >    I note on the IPV6todo wiki page (https://wiki.freebsd.org/IPv6TODO) that 6rd is
>> > still a desired feature.
>> >
>> >   Is there anything I or the project can do to help here?  (I'm willing to guinea pig it
>> > or have the OpnSense guys test it).
>>

>> I'd like to see the patch mentioned go in, but in the meantime I'm using
>> a gif interface to do this.
>>
> I wasn't able to convince Opnsense or bare FreeBSD to do 6rd with a gif interface.
>
> Is there a good doc on how to do 6rd with gif?
>
> ATT's 6rd parameters:
> 6rd prefix: 2602:300::/28
> 6rd border relay: 12.83.49.81
> 6rd ipv4 prefix length: 0
>
> The WAN address is DHCP.

The DHCP WAN address could be problematic.  I've got a static IPv4.

ifconfig_gif0="tunnel <your-IPv4-here> 12.83.49.81"
ifconfig_gif0_ipv6="inet6 <magic stuff>  2602:300:c533:1510:: prefixlen
 128 mtu 1472"
ipv6_defaultrouter="2602:300:c533:1510::"

where <magic stuff> is:
AT&T 6rd prefix of 2602:300::/28 + our public IP4 in hex * 16 (i.e. add hex '0')

See:
https://forums.att.com/t5/AT-T-Internet-Features/Advanced-HOWTO-AT-amp-T-quot-native-quot-IP6-with-full-60-subnet/td-p/4050282

Re: 6rd: when in Base FreeBSD?

Larry Rosenman
On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 01:48:18AM +0000, Luiz Otavio O Souza wrote:

> On 11 October 2017 at 22:01, Larry Rosenman wrote:
> > Hi,
> >    I'm currently using pfSense, and it has a working 6rd implementation, and I need 6rd
> > as that's how ATT Fiber delivers IPv6.
> >
> >    Apparently for whatever reason, the pfSense guys can't/won't upstream or release their 6rd
> > patch. (see https://forum.pfsense.org/index.php?topic=137636.0)
> >

> pfSense will upstream the patches when they are ready (unless someone beat us).
>
> While the patches in pfSense are in a workable state, they are not yet
> well suited for FreeBSD.
>
> It is possible that hrs@ and others have newer patches too.

This issue I have is the attitude in the referenced forum message, *AND* the fact that
pfSense hasn't updated their publicly facing repo in MONTHS.

Why the attitude in the referenced thread?  Why no public release as pfSense of your code?

> Luiz

Larry Rosenman                     http://www.lerctr.org/~ler
Phone: +1 214-642-9640                 E-Mail: [hidden email]
US Mail: 5708 Sabbia Drive, Round Rock, TX 78665-2106

Re: 6rd: when in Base FreeBSD?

Mel Pilgrim
On 10/11/2017 19:11, Don Lewis wrote:
> On 11 Oct, Larry Rosenman wrote:
>> The WAN address is DHCP.
>
> The DHCP WAN address could be problematic.

To do this with a DHCP WAN address, create a dhclient hook script that
destroys and recreates the gif tunnel if the WAN address changes.  I
used to have to do something similar with my previous provider (they
also used 6rd).