8021x on wired Ethernet

Bengt Ahlgren-2
(asked on questions without response)

Is there a standard "rc.conf" way to configure 8021x authentication on
wired ethernet?

Invoking wpa_supplicant manually with -Dwired -iem0 works.

Bengt

Re: 8021x on wired Ethernet

Zeus Panchenko
Bengt Ahlgren <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is there a standard "rc.conf" way to configure 8021x authentication on
> wired ethernet?

looks like it's to be something like: ifconfig_em0="WPA"

--
Zeus V. Panchenko jid:[hidden email]
IT Dpt., I.B.S. LLC  GMT+2 (EET)

Re: 8021x on wired Ethernet

Doug Ambrisko
On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 02:17:21PM +0300, Zeus Panchenko wrote:
| Bengt Ahlgren <[hidden email]> wrote:
| > Is there a standard "rc.conf" way to configure 8021x authentication on
| > wired ethernet?
|
| looks like it's to be something like: ifconfig_em0="WPA"

Yes for example;
        ifconfig_em0="WPA <IP address/width>"

We use 802.1x at work.

Doug A.

Re: 8021x on wired Ethernet

Bengt Ahlgren-2
Doug Ambrisko <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 02:17:21PM +0300, Zeus Panchenko wrote:
> | Bengt Ahlgren <[hidden email]> wrote:
> | > Is there a standard "rc.conf" way to configure 8021x authentication on
> | > wired ethernet?
> |
> | looks like it's to be something like: ifconfig_em0="WPA"
>
> Yes for example;
> ifconfig_em0="WPA <IP address/width>"
>
> We use 802.1x at work.

Thanks Zeus and Doug, it does work!  I use ifconfig_em0="WPA DHCP".

I first thought I needed a separate wpa_supplicant.conf for wired, but
it finds the appropriate entry there anyway among many WiFis.

Bengt

Re: 8021x on wired Ethernet

Bengt Ahlgren-2
Bengt Ahlgren <[hidden email]> writes:

> Doug Ambrisko <[hidden email]> writes:

>> | looks like it's to be something like: ifconfig_em0="WPA"
>>
>> Yes for example;
>> ifconfig_em0="WPA <IP address/width>"
>>
>> We use 802.1x at work.
>
> Thanks Zeus and Doug, it does work!  I use ifconfig_em0="WPA DHCP".
>
> I first thought I needed a separate wpa_supplicant.conf for wired, but
> it finds the appropriate entry there anyway among many WiFis.

It however does not work so well booting with no Ethernet plug
connected.  The boot hangs when wpa_supplicant is started - a ctrl-C
however aborts it and the boot continues.  Any ideas to make this more
convenient?

Bengt