ARM/ARM64 FreeBSD/Xen

Uni Gaia
In https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_Project_Release_Features under
"Supported Mainline Architectures for the hypervisor (Host)" it is
written that ARMv7+virt extensions and ARMv8 are supported by Xen.

Is work ongoing in porting FreeBSD/Xen to ARM/ARM64?

Re: ARM/ARM64 FreeBSD/Xen

Roger Pau Monné
On Sat, Jan 19, 2019 at 10:59:08AM +0000, Uni Gaia wrote:
> In https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_Project_Release_Features under
> "Supported Mainline Architectures for the hypervisor (Host)" it is written
> that ARMv7+virt extensions and ARMv8 are supported by Xen.
>
> Is work ongoing in porting FreeBSD/Xen to ARM/ARM64?

AFAIK there's no current effort to port FreeBSD to run on Xen on ARM,
either as DomU or Dom0.

I'm adding Julien who works on Xen on ARM, he might have more
information than myself, since I mostly work on x86.

Thanks, Roger.

Re: ARM/ARM64 FreeBSD/Xen

Julien Grall-4
Hi,

On 21/01/2019 08:27, Roger Pau Monné wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 19, 2019 at 10:59:08AM +0000, Uni Gaia wrote:
>> In https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_Project_Release_Features under
>> "Supported Mainline Architectures for the hypervisor (Host)" it is written
>> that ARMv7+virt extensions and ARMv8 are supported by Xen.
>>
>> Is work ongoing in porting FreeBSD/Xen to ARM/ARM64?
>
> AFAIK there's no current effort to port FreeBSD to run on Xen on ARM,
> either as DomU or Dom0.
>
> I'm adding Julien who works on Xen on ARM, he might have more
> information than myself, since I mostly work on x86.

I worked on a port a few years ago but never had time to properly upstream it. I
am not aware for more work since then.

With my work, I was able to boot FreeBSD as both DomU and Dom0 guest. The work
can be found on my git repository [1]. IIRC the branch dev-arm64 contains just
enough boot a DomU and Dom0. There are other branches (e.g dev-evtchn,
dev-xen-upstream) that contains cleanup series for making easier to have common
Xen code between architectures.

I am happy to provide help using the branches if you are interested. Although I
haven't worked on them for the past 3 years :).

Best regards,

[1] https://xenbits.xen.org/gitweb/?p=people/julieng/freebsd.git;a=heads

--
Julien Grall