ATI and xorg.conf

Fernando Apesteguía
Hi,

I have an ATI Radeon HD 2400. I fresh installed FreeBSD 7.2 for AMD64.
I added the Xorg support and Gnome desktop.
With the autoconfig Xserver feature, the whole system freezes. With
the xorg.conf file generated by the -configure option, the system
freezes too.

I've tried several different drivers (ati, radeonhd...) but I can only
bring X up with the vesa driver.
Which driver is the best one (features vs stability) taking into
account that I don't want to run any fancy desktop features?
How can I configure it?

Thanks in advance.

Re: ATI and xorg.conf

Glen Barber-2
2009/5/18 Fernando Apesteguía <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> I have an ATI Radeon HD 2400. I fresh installed FreeBSD 7.2 for AMD64.
> I added the Xorg support and Gnome desktop.
> With the autoconfig Xserver feature, the whole system freezes. With
> the xorg.conf file generated by the -configure option, the system
> freezes too.
>
> I've tried several different drivers (ati, radeonhd...) but I can only
> bring X up with the vesa driver.
> Which driver is the best one (features vs stability) taking into
> account that I don't want to run any fancy desktop features?
> How can I configure it?

You would get more response asking on questions@

Regards

--
Glen Barber

Re: ATI and xorg.conf

Fernando Apesteguía
2009/5/19 Glen Barber <[hidden email]>:

> 2009/5/18 Fernando Apesteguía <[hidden email]>:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have an ATI Radeon HD 2400. I fresh installed FreeBSD 7.2 for AMD64.
>> I added the Xorg support and Gnome desktop.
>> With the autoconfig Xserver feature, the whole system freezes. With
>> the xorg.conf file generated by the -configure option, the system
>> freezes too.
>>
>> I've tried several different drivers (ati, radeonhd...) but I can only
>> bring X up with the vesa driver.
>> Which driver is the best one (features vs stability) taking into
>> account that I don't want to run any fancy desktop features?
>> How can I configure it?
>>

> You would get more response asking on questions@

Yep, I already posted there.

Sorry for the noise

PD: I could get it working with radeonhd.

Cheers