About usage of tools/tools/locale in releng/11.2 to regenerate locale files

About usage of tools/tools/locale in releng/11.2 to regenerate locale files

Ka Ho Ng
Hi Baptiste,

I ran into problems when trying to regenerate locale files for the system,
due to p5-Text-Iconv depending on libiconv not supporting ISCII-DEV.
The encoding doesn't show up in `/usr/local/bin/iconv -l`.

Below is the line I found when trying to `make`:
Unsupported conversion from utf-8 to ISCII-DEV: Invalid argument at
tools/cldr2def.pl line 204.

I want to regenerate the locale files for the system, as I found
wcwidth() does not
return the width of emoji characters correctly (They were supposed to be 2, but
turned out to be 1 instead). I regenerate my own widths.txt and
replace the one in
tools/tools/locale/etc/final-maps with my own version. Then I tried to `make` in
tools/tools/locale and eventually I ran into trouble.

Could you give me some hints on working out a solution besides
patching the Makefile?
How are locale files generated when the system images and .txz are rolled out?

Thanks,
Ka Ho