Adding support for multiple boot-time passes of the device tree

Adding support for multiple boot-time passes of the device tree

John Baldwin
If you were at BSDCan a few weeks ago you may have seen my proposal for
extending new-bus to support multiple scans of the device tree during
boot-time probing.  This patch is the infrastructure work to allow multiple
passes.  It does not move any drivers (except root0 which is already special)
into an early pass, so all devices will still probe as a single pass for now.
However, getting this in now before 8.0 will enable folks to start working on
other problems such as resource discovery and management and will get the ABI
set before the 8.0 feature freeze.  The paper where I go into greater detail
about the rationale and implementation is available at
http://www.FreeBSD.org/~jhb/papers/bsdcan/2009/.  The actual patch is
available for review at http://www.FreeBSD.org/~jhb/patches/multipass.patch

--
John Baldwin