AdoptOpenJDK and JDK11

Ashik
Hello all,

I had raised the lack of a native JDK 11 for FreeBSD 12 with
AdoptOpenJDK, hoping that they can help with the JDK 11 efforts on
FreeBSD.

It looks like they took it up for discussion, but I hadn't heard any
updates from them.

The recent activity in the list regarding the JDK 11 port prompted me to
update AdoptOpenJDK "issue" on Github, and if anyone can collaborate
with them, this might speed up and stabilise the build quicker.

The Github issue I raised with AdoptOpenJDK is here:

https://github.com/AdoptOpenJDK/TSC/issues/53

The offers for help is vague at the moment - they have access to some
hardware that runs on FreeBSD, and another has asked if it is possible
to collaborate.

glewis and others who are working on the port, may I suggest (and in no
way mean any offense or pretend to know better) you collaborating with
AdoptOpenJDK ?

My context : I am someone who runs applications written in Java in
production on FreeBSD, and trying not to switch from either JVM or
FreeBSD.

Thanks for your time.

--
aashiks

Re: AdoptOpenJDK and JDK11

Barry van Someren
Hi Ashik,

I'm by no means an expert in what's happening, but it looks like the
porting work is already being done on a forked git repo from AdoptOpenJDK,
so upstreaming their work should be possible.

I've been slowly moving all my stuff to FreeBSD; Some of my customers also
want Docker so I essentially run a FreeBSD network with some Docker
machines running Java.
Other customers are fine with just getting a JVM on a stable OS (and they
don't push for Java 11 yet). I'll be testing their deployments on JDK11
going forward.

Regards,

Barry