After 6.0-RELEASE, still cannot find ATA disk com VIA8235

After 6.0-RELEASE, still cannot find ATA disk com VIA8235

João Carlos Mendes Luís
Hi,

     After 5.4-RELEASE I did try to install FreeBSD on a spare desktop at work,
but it failed to boot, with a kernel trap 12 and ATA_IDENTIFY time out.

     Knowning that 6.0 has a completely new ata driver, I did it again.  Now the
system boots, and shows absolutely no error message.  But also could not
identify neither the Samsung Hard disk, nor the CDROM on the VIA8235 ata interface.

     This same machine is running Fedora Core 3 and Windows XP SP2 perfectly.
Indeedm this email is comming out from it, over Windows XP.

     The motherboard is an ASUS P4VP-MX, with a 2.0GHz P4 CPU, and 1G RAM.  The
harddisk is a Samsung SP0411N, on primary master, and the CDROM is an LG
GCR-8523B, on secondary slave.  I also did try with a DVD-writer on secondary
master, with no success.

     Any ideas?

     TIA,

                Jonny

Re: After 6.0-RELEASE, still cannot find ATA disk com VIA8235

Oliver Fromme
João Carlos Mendes Luis <[hidden email]> wrote:
 >      After 5.4-RELEASE I did try to install FreeBSD on a spare
 > desktop at work, but it failed to boot, with a kernel trap 12 and
 > ATA_IDENTIFY time out.
 >
 >      Knowning that 6.0 has a completely new ata driver, I did it
 > again.  Now the system boots, and shows absolutely no error message.
 > But also could not identify neither the Samsung Hard disk, nor the
 > CDROM on the VIA8235 ata interface.

That's strange.  I also have a VT8235 system running 6.0
(RELENG_6 of last week), and the ATA drives work perfectly
fine.  This is what ``pciconf -lv'' reports:

atapci0@pci0:17:1:      class=0x01018a card=0xaa011106 chip=0x05711106 rev=0x06 hdr=0x00
    vendor   = 'VIA Technologies Inc'
    device   = 'VT82xxxx EIDE Controller (All VIA Chipsets)'
    class    = mass storage
    subclass = ATA

And these are the relevant lines from /var/run/dmesg.boot:

atapci0: <VIA 8235 UDMA133 controller> port 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6,0x170-0x177,0x376,0xe000-0xe00f at device 17.1 on pci0
ata0: <ATA channel 0> on atapci0
ata1: <ATA channel 1> on atapci0
ad0: 238475MB <HDS722525VLAT80 V36OA6MA> at ata0-master UDMA100
acd0: DVDROM <LG DVD-ROM DRD-8160B/1.01> at ata0-slave UDMA33
ad2: 239372MB <Maxtor 4A250J0 RAMB1TU0> at ata1-master UDMA133

Maybe you should share your pciconf/dmesg output with us.
Messages from a verbose boot might be useful, too.

 >      The motherboard is an ASUS P4VP-MX, with a 2.0GHz P4 CPU, and 1G
 > RAM.  The harddisk is a Samsung SP0411N, on primary master, and the
 > CDROM is an LG GCR-8523B, on secondary slave.

That's not a supported configuration.  You cannot have a
slave without a master.  (It _might_ work if you're lucky,
but it's not reliable.)

However, it should at least detect the master on the first
channel, so that's not the cause of your problem.

Best regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme,  secnetix GmbH & Co. KG, Marktplatz 29, 85567 Grafing

"If you aim the gun at your foot and pull the trigger, it's
UNIX's job to ensure reliable delivery of the bullet to
where you aimed the gun (in this case, Mr. Foot)."
        -- Terry Lambert, FreeBSD-hackers mailing list.