Another PHP5 problem

123

Another PHP5 problem

Jack L. Stone
I just finished some major upgrades/updates to a server, including
php5-5.3.6 and apache2.

Now I keep getting Segmentation faults and core dumps whenever apache2
rolls over its logs and does a restart. Here's the error. Does nyone have
an idea of what's happening to cause this?:

PHP 5.3.6 with Suhosin-Patch (cli) (built: Jun  4 2011 18:04:14)
Copyright (c) 1997-2011 The PHP Group
Zend Engine v2.3.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2011 Zend Technologies
    with the ionCube PHP Loader v3.3.16, Copyright (c) 2002-2010, by
ionCube Ltd.
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Thanks for any hints....

Jack

(^_^)
Happy trails,
Jack L. Stone

System Admin
Sage-american

Re: Another PHP5 problem

Mark Felder-4
On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 09:04:01 -0500, Jack L. Stone
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> with the ionCube PHP Loader v3.3.16, Copyright (c) 2002-2010, by
> ionCube Ltd.

ionCube causes all kinds of neat things like this. Disable it and I bet it
won't happen.

Regards,

Mark

Re: Another PHP5 problem

Matthew Seaman-2
On 15/06/2011 15:04, Jack L. Stone wrote:
> PHP 5.3.6 with Suhosin-Patch (cli) (built: Jun  4 2011 18:04:14)
> Copyright (c) 1997-2011 The PHP Group
> Zend Engine v2.3.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2011 Zend Technologies
>     with the ionCube PHP Loader v3.3.16, Copyright (c) 2002-2010, by
> ionCube Ltd.
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Check the mailing list archives for very many discussions on the effect
of having the extensions listed in ${PREFIX}/etc/php/extensions.ini
in the wrong order.

        Cheers,

        Matthew

--
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.                   7 Priory Courtyard
                                                  Flat 3

RE: Another PHP5 problem

Tamouh

I would recommend that you recompile php/apache with the minimal necessary options. I've seen many issues in the past when combining multiple modules/extensions together.

T.

Re: Another PHP5 problem

Jack L. Stone
At 03:33 PM 6/15/2011 +0100, Matthew Seaman wrote:

>On 15/06/2011 15:04, Jack L. Stone wrote:
>> PHP 5.3.6 with Suhosin-Patch (cli) (built: Jun  4 2011 18:04:14)
>> Copyright (c) 1997-2011 The PHP Group
>> Zend Engine v2.3.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2011 Zend Technologies
>>     with the ionCube PHP Loader v3.3.16, Copyright (c) 2002-2010, by
>> ionCube Ltd.
>> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
>
>Check the mailing list archives for very many discussions on the effect
>of having the extensions listed in ${PREFIX}/etc/php/extensions.ini
>in the wrong order.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Matthew

Matthew:

Thanks for that suggestion but couldn't find the numerous discussions about
the wrong order of extensions. Using google I did find one post and a list
that poster used. I tried following his list with the sames ones I had plus
some 6-7 he didn't have. Still get the core dump.

Can you suggest the key word to search in the list archives. I used "php5
extensions" and "php5 core dump" which brought up some discussions which
didn't include the order discussions though.

I cannot do without ioncube as another post mentioned.

Thanks to all and any other ideas.

Jack

(^_^)
Happy trails,
Jack L. Stone

System Admin
Sage-american

Re: Another PHP5 problem

Mark Felder-4
On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 13:40:15 -0500, Jack L. Stone
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I cannot do without ioncube as another post mentioned.

I understand your need for ioncube, but replicate the problem to another
non-production system and remove ioncube to see whether or not it is the
cause. This is something we had to do and ultimately we told the only
customer using ioncube they couldn't use it on our infrastructure anymore
because it was a proprietary extension that causes issues. Again, before
digging too deeply I strongly urge you repeat the test with ioncube
extension disabled so you can rule that out immediately or else you'll be
running around in circles for ages trying to figure out what the "cause"
is.

It's unfortunate that people think they need to obfuscate their code and
use these silly workarounds.

Regards,

Mark

Re: Another PHP5 problem

Jack L. Stone
At 01:50 PM 6/15/2011 -0500, Mark Felder wrote:

>On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 13:40:15 -0500, Jack L. Stone
><[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I cannot do without ioncube as another post mentioned.
>
>I understand your need for ioncube, but replicate the problem to another
>non-production system and remove ioncube to see whether or not it is the
>cause. This is something we had to do and ultimately we told the only
>customer using ioncube they couldn't use it on our infrastructure anymore
>because it was a proprietary extension that causes issues. Again, before
>digging too deeply I strongly urge you repeat the test with ioncube
>extension disabled so you can rule that out immediately or else you'll be
>running around in circles for ages trying to figure out what the "cause"
>is.
>

>It's unfortunate that people think they need to obfuscate their code and
>use these silly workarounds.
>

>Regards,
>

>Mark
>> I cannot do without ioncube as another post mentioned.
>
>I understand your need for ioncube, but replicate the problem to another
>non-production system and remove ioncube to see whether or not it is the
>cause. This is something we had to do and ultimately we told the only
>customer using ioncube they couldn't use it on our infrastructure anymore
>because it was a proprietary extension that causes issues. Again, before
>digging too deeply I strongly urge you repeat the test with ioncube
>extension disabled so you can rule that out immediately or else you'll be
>running around in circles for ages trying to figure out what the "cause"
>is.
>

>It's unfortunate that people think they need to obfuscate their code and
>use these silly workarounds.
>

>Regards,
>

>Mark

Mark:
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried a disable of the ioncube and still get
the php seg fault/core dump.

This one is maddening...

Jack

(^_^)
Happy trails,
Jack L. Stone

System Admin
Sage-american

Re: Another PHP5 problem

Matthew Seaman-2
On 15/06/2011 19:40, Jack L. Stone wrote:
> Thanks for that suggestion but couldn't find the numerous discussions about
> the wrong order of extensions. Using google I did find one post and a list
> that poster used. I tried following his list with the sames ones I had plus
> some 6-7 he didn't have. Still get the core dump.

Google for 'FreeBSD extensions.ini'

Plenty of results there.  However, to cut a long story short, some
extensions needed to be loaded after certain other ones.  The best way
to work out a good load order is simply by trial and error -- most
ordering permutations will actually work fine, with relatively few
blowing up.

        Cheers,

        Matthew

--
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.                   7 Priory Courtyard
                                                  Flat 3
PGP: http://www.infracaninophile.co.uk/pgpkey     Ramsgate
JID: [hidden email]               Kent, CT11 9PW

Re: Another PHP5 problem

Ryan Coleman-3
So I've seen that you haven't had a lot of success with this... can you post your extensions.ini file contents?

--
Ryan

On Jun 15, 2011, at 9:04 AM, Jack L. Stone wrote:

> I just finished some major upgrades/updates to a server, including
> php5-5.3.6 and apache2.
>
> Now I keep getting Segmentation faults and core dumps whenever apache2
> rolls over its logs and does a restart. Here's the error. Does nyone have
> an idea of what's happening to cause this?:
>
> PHP 5.3.6 with Suhosin-Patch (cli) (built: Jun  4 2011 18:04:14)
> Copyright (c) 1997-2011 The PHP Group
> Zend Engine v2.3.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2011 Zend Technologies
>    with the ionCube PHP Loader v3.3.16, Copyright (c) 2002-2010, by
> ionCube Ltd.
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
>
> Thanks for any hints....
>
> Jack
>
> (^_^)
> Happy trails,
> Jack L. Stone
>
> System Admin
> Sage-american

Re: Another PHP5 problem

Jack L. Stone
At 02:50 PM 6/15/2011 -0500, Ryan Coleman wrote:
>So I've seen that you haven't had a lot of success with this... can you
post your extensions.ini file contents?

>--
>Ryan

Here are my extensions after doing some shuffling according to ideas on
google:

extension=session.so
extension=simplexml.so
extension=ctype.so
extension=apc.so
extension=ftp.so
extension=mbstring.so
extension=tokenizer.so
extension=filter.so
extension=mcrypt.so
extension=xmlwriter.so
extension=gd.so
extension=iconv.so
extension=zlib.so
extension=curl.so
extension=bz2.so
extension=pdf.so
extension=openssl.so
extension=dom.so
extension=hash.so
extension=xmlreader.so
extension=sqlite.so
extension=pdo.so
extension=mysql.so
extension=sockets.so
extension=xml.so
extension=sqlite3.so
extension=json.so
extension=zip.so
extension=posix.so
extension=snmp.so

Jack

(^_^)
Happy trails,
Jack L. Stone

System Admin
Sage-american

Re: Another PHP5 problem

Ryan Coleman-3
And these were all built from the ports, yes?

On Jun 15, 2011, at 3:06 PM, Jack L. Stone wrote:

> At 02:50 PM 6/15/2011 -0500, Ryan Coleman wrote:
>> So I've seen that you haven't had a lot of success with this... can you post your extensions.ini file contents?
>>
>> --
>> Ryan
>>
> Here are my extensions after doing some shuffling according to ideas on
> google:
>
> extension=session.so
> extension=simplexml.so
> extension=ctype.so
> extension=apc.so
> extension=ftp.so
> extension=mbstring.so
> extension=tokenizer.so
> extension=filter.so
> extension=mcrypt.so
> extension=xmlwriter.so
> extension=gd.so
> extension=iconv.so
> extension=zlib.so
> extension=curl.so
> extension=bz2.so
> extension=pdf.so
> extension=openssl.so
> extension=dom.so
> extension=hash.so
> extension=xmlreader.so
> extension=sqlite.so
> extension=pdo.so
> extension=mysql.so
> extension=sockets.so
> extension=xml.so
> extension=sqlite3.so
> extension=json.so
> extension=zip.so
> extension=posix.so
> extension=snmp.so
>
> Jack
>
> (^_^)
> Happy trails,
> Jack L. Stone
>
> System Admin
> Sage-american

Re: Another PHP5 problem

Jack L. Stone
At 03:21 PM 6/15/2011 -0500, Ryan Coleman wrote:
>And these were all built from the ports, yes?

Yes, all built from ports.

(^_^)
Happy trails,
Jack L. Stone

System Admin
Sage-american

Re: Another PHP5 problem

Ryan Coleman-3
My solution for these issues is usually pretty easy:
Disable all extensions (with a ; before the line) and then re-enable batches until it dies on you and then go through line-by-line to see which one did it.

Should take about 5 minutes, tops, to run through the entire list.

On Jun 15, 2011, at 3:59 PM, Jack L. Stone wrote:

> At 03:21 PM 6/15/2011 -0500, Ryan Coleman wrote:
>> And these were all built from the ports, yes?
>>

> Yes, all built from ports.
>
> (^_^)
> Happy trails,
> Jack L. Stone
>
> System Admin
> Sage-american

Re: Another PHP5 problem

Jack L. Stone
At 04:04 PM 6/15/2011 -0500, Ryan Coleman wrote:
>My solution for these issues is usually pretty easy:
>Disable all extensions (with a ; before the line) and then re-enable
batches until it dies on you and then go through line-by-line to see which
one did it.

>Should take about 5 minutes, tops, to run through the entire list.

Sounds like a reasonable approach.

Thanks,

(^_^)
Happy trails,
Jack L. Stone

System Admin
Sage-american

Re: Another PHP5 problem

Jack L. Stone
At 04:04 PM 6/15/2011 -0500, Ryan Coleman wrote:
>My solution for these issues is usually pretty easy:
>Disable all extensions (with a ; before the line) and then re-enable
batches until it dies on you and then go through line-by-line to see which
one did it.

>Should take about 5 minutes, tops, to run through the entire list.

Was wondering if it appeared an extension might be missing that would be
expected? Have quite a few php scripts. What about the gettext one? I went
with the defaults plus a couple I knew was needed like mysql and FTP.

Jack

(^_^)
Happy trails,
Jack L. Stone

System Admin
Sage-american

Re: Another PHP5 problem

Ryan Coleman-3
That wouldn't likely cause a segfault, but you could use your apache logs to see if there's something in the last file before the segfault occurs... but that could be a wild goose chase.

On Jun 15, 2011, at 5:57 PM, Jack L. Stone wrote:

> At 04:04 PM 6/15/2011 -0500, Ryan Coleman wrote:
>> My solution for these issues is usually pretty easy:
>> Disable all extensions (with a ; before the line) and then re-enable
> batches until it dies on you and then go through line-by-line to see which
> one did it.
>>
>> Should take about 5 minutes, tops, to run through the entire list.
>>

> Was wondering if it appeared an extension might be missing that would be
> expected? Have quite a few php scripts. What about the gettext one? I went
> with the defaults plus a couple I knew was needed like mysql and FTP.
>
> Jack
>
> (^_^)
> Happy trails,
> Jack L. Stone
>
> System Admin
> Sage-american

Re: Another PHP5 problem

Jack L. Stone
At 06:35 PM 6/15/2011 -0500, Ryan Coleman wrote:
>That wouldn't likely cause a segfault, but you could use your apache logs
to see if there's something in the last file before the segfault occurs...
but that could be a wild goose chase.

>On Jun 15, 2011, at 5:57 PM, Jack L. Stone wrote:
>
>> At 04:04 PM 6/15/2011 -0500, Ryan Coleman wrote:
>>> My solution for these issues is usually pretty easy:
>>> Disable all extensions (with a ; before the line) and then re-enable
>> batches until it dies on you and then go through line-by-line to see which
>> one did it.
>>>
>>> Should take about 5 minutes, tops, to run through the entire list.

Ryan:

Found it! 2 extensions were the problem:
# extension=sqlite3.so
# extension=pdo_sqlite.so

Don't even know why they got in there.... (except I checked the boxes in
make config)

Thanks for the great idea!

Jack

(^_^)
Happy trails,
Jack L. Stone

System Admin
Sage-american

Re: Another PHP5 problem

Gary Kline-5
On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 03:33:08PM +0100, Matthew Seaman wrote:

> Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 15:33:08 +0100
> From: Matthew Seaman <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: Another PHP5 problem
> To: [hidden email]
>
> On 15/06/2011 15:04, Jack L. Stone wrote:
> > PHP 5.3.6 with Suhosin-Patch (cli) (built: Jun  4 2011 18:04:14)
> > Copyright (c) 1997-2011 The PHP Group
> > Zend Engine v2.3.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2011 Zend Technologies
> >     with the ionCube PHP Loader v3.3.16, Copyright (c) 2002-2010, by
> > ionCube Ltd.
> > Segmentation fault (core dumped)
>
> Check the mailing list archives for very many discussions on the effect
> of having the extensions listed in ${PREFIX}/etc/php/extensions.ini
> in the wrong order.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Matthew

        This (fixing the extensions.ini list) was what worked for me...
        ...after endless hunting around.

        gary

> --
> Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.                   7 Priory Courtyard
>                                                   Flat 3
> PGP: http://www.infracaninophile.co.uk/pgpkey     Ramsgate
> JID: [hidden email]               Kent, CT11 9PW

--
 Gary Kline  [hidden email]  http://www.thought.org  Public Service Unix
           Journey Toward the Dawn, E-Book: http://www.thought.org

Re: Another PHP5 problem

Ryan Coleman-3
I have very few uses for sqlite3 but I still have them. And PDO? Never seen anything run it.

Just because it is on by default
1) doesn't mean it's good for you and
2) the port connected to it is functioning properly.

On Jun 15, 2011, at 7:18 PM, Jack L. Stone wrote:

> At 06:35 PM 6/15/2011 -0500, Ryan Coleman wrote:
>> That wouldn't likely cause a segfault, but you could use your apache logs
> to see if there's something in the last file before the segfault occurs...
> but that could be a wild goose chase.

>>> batches until it dies on you and then go through line-by-line to see which
>>> one did it.

> Ryan:
>
> Found it! 2 extensions were the problem:
> # extension=sqlite3.so
> # extension=pdo_sqlite.so
>
> Don't even know why they got in there.... (except I checked the boxes in
> make config)
>
> Thanks for the great idea!
>
> Jack
>
> (^_^)
> Happy trails,
> Jack L. Stone
>
> System Admin
> Sage-american

Re: Another PHP5 problem

Jack L. Stone
At 08:14 PM 6/15/2011 -0500, Ryan Coleman wrote:
>I have very few uses for sqlite3 but I still have them. And PDO? Never
seen anything run it.

>Just because it is on by default
>1) doesn't mean it's good for you and
>2) the port connected to it is functioning properly.

Wierd! Told extensions to build without:
extension=sqlite3.so
extension=sqlite.so
extension=pdo_sqlite.so

But, built them anyway. Ran make config and then also checked the options
file and it showed the "WITHOUTS_" okay, but they were built anyway. Still
have to comment out those sqlites.

(^_^)
Happy trails,
Jack L. Stone