Archiving higher bandwith than 1GBit/s on FreeBSD? (USB3?)

Archiving higher bandwith than 1GBit/s on FreeBSD? (USB3?)

Georg Bege-2
Hello Community,

Im in need to archive a higher bandwith than the usual 1gbit ethernet
for two machines - basically it can be a p2p connection.
I thought about USB3, I know its theoretically possible - virtual
ethernet anyone?

Does someone have any kind of information about this or knows if it has
been done on FreeBSD?
Anyone ever did experiment with it?
I didnt find any information about this on the net....

regards,
Georg

Re: Archiving higher bandwith than 1GBit/s on FreeBSD? (USB3?)

Igor Mozolevsky-2
On Tue, 5 Feb 2019 at 12:12, <georg@...> wrote:

> Im in need to archive a higher bandwith than the usual 1gbit ethernet
> for two machines - basically it can be a p2p connection.
> I thought about USB3, I know its theoretically possible - virtual
> ethernet anyone?
>
> Does someone have any kind of information about this or knows if it has
> been done on FreeBSD?
> Anyone ever did experiment with it?
> I didnt find any information about this on the net....

Good luck with that:-

https://www.datapro.net/products/usb-3-0-super-speed-a-a-cable-crossover.html

--
Igor M.

Re: Archiving higher bandwith than 1GBit/s on FreeBSD? (USB3?)

Colin Faber-2
Infiniband is supported under freebsd now right? Why not purchase an old
DDR IB setup and use that? That'll get you 20Gbp/s bidirectional with
microsecond lag. You can probably pick up the hardware on the cheap from
fleabay or some other recycler

On Tue, 5 Feb 2019 at 20:08, Colin Faber wrote:

> Infiniband is supported under freebsd now right? Why not purchase an old
> DDR IB setup and use that? That'll get you 20Gbp/s bidirectional with
> microsecond lag. You can probably pick up the hardware on the cheap from
> fleabay or some other recycler

I thought the original question was solely about USB3, but if it
weren't. then 10gbe cards aren't that expensive---have a look for
whatever is supported by cxgb(4), for example, and you don't have to
deal with IB...

In any case, the answer to vague questions along the lines of "I want
something faster" is always "how much money do you have to spend on a
solution"...

--
Igor M.

Re: Archiving higher bandwith than 1GBit/s on FreeBSD? (USB3?)

Georg Bege-2
Hi

Well it might be vague, but money isnt the main problem - if its only a
money problem, then we know its at least possible.
Im looking forward to use something for my Laptop and maybe for a NUC.
So PCI-E cards are out of the game... else it would be easy.

Maybe Thunderbolt 3 is a solution, I read there are devices... but I
guesss then again there is no FreeBSD support for drivers.

On Wed, 6 Feb 2019 at 10:14, <georg@...> wrote:

> Well it might be vague, but money isnt the main problem - if its only a
> money problem, then we know its at least possible.
> Im looking forward to use something for my Laptop and maybe for a NUC.
> So PCI-E cards are out of the game... else it would be easy.
>
> Maybe Thunderbolt 3 is a solution, I read there are devices... but I
> guesss then again there is no FreeBSD support for drivers.

Can't speak for your laptop, but why not use a Supermicro (no, I don't
work for them) ITX (if you are wanting "small") that has an onboard
10GbE, for example (like some of the mobos of the X10SDV-... or
X11SDV-... variety) if money isn't a limiting factor instead of a NUC
(was NUC ever designed to be "pumping" data?)?

--
Igor M.