Audio broken after an attempt to use USB microphone: advice/help wanted

Audio broken after an attempt to use USB microphone: advice/help wanted

Andras Farkas
Hello!

A few months ago, I decided I wanted to setup a USB microphone so I
could have a voice chat with someone.
I followed the instructions in webcamd's pkg-message, specifically to
enable cuse and webcamd.
After rebooting, I noticed there was a constant hissing/static in my
headphones (they just have a regular headphone connector, they're not
USB) whose volume didn't change even as I changed my system's volume.
Things like music or other sounds could be heard along with the
static, and their volume can be controlled.
The microphone also wasn't working, either, though that's not what I
worry about right now.
So I disabled cuse and webcamd, undoing everything I did to enable
them, and rebooted. But the static remained.
And since then, I haven't found a way to get the constant static to
stop. I haven't used any audio at all on FreeBSD since then, and
sorely miss it.
The static seems to start at the same time the login prompt appears on
screen, after the dmesg -a type stuff.

Does anyone have any ideas? What could enabling cuse or webcamd could
have done that wouldn't have been undone by disabling them?
I'd like to have working sound again so I can listen to music once
more, and would be thankful if anyone could help me.

Specific information, in case it helps:
$ freebsd-version
12.0-RELEASE-p10
$ uname -a
FreeBSD nyann.tanasinn.mochi 12.0-RELEASE-p10 FreeBSD 12.0-RELEASE-p10
GENERIC  amd64
I also use Lumina as my DE.

I originally posted this here:
https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/audio-broken-after-attempt-to-use-usb-microphone-help-wanted.72519/

Re: Audio broken after an attempt to use USB microphone: advice/help wanted

Andras Farkas
The problem was resolved.  All I had to do was:
mixer -f /dev/mixer4 -s mix 0
full convo here:
https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/audio-broken-after-attempt-to-use-usb-microphone-help-wanted.72519/
Thanks so much!