Australian Subversion Repository Mirror

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Australian Subversion Repository Mirror

John Marshall-2
In the absence of any advice as to the propriety of allocating FreeBSD
domain names to public FreeBSD Subversion Repository mirrors, we have
gone ahead and allocated a domain names to the mirror I announced here a
month ago.  If we've done the wrong thing, please let us know.

These Subversion repositories are hosted on the same machine which hosts
the Australian CVSup mirror and one of the Australian www mirrors, and
is located in Brisbane, QLD.  The Subversion repositories are updated
hourly from svn.FreeBSD.org via svnsync and have been operating reliably
for the past month.

  svn://svn.au.FreeBSD.org/base
  svn://svn.au.FreeBSD.org/doc
  svn://svn.au.FreeBSD.org/ports

--
John Marshall

attachment0 (203 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

German SVN Mirror (was: Australian Subversion Repository Mirror)

Bernd Walter-4
On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 07:04:41PM +1000, John Marshall wrote:
> In the absence of any advice as to the propriety of allocating FreeBSD
> domain names to public FreeBSD Subversion Repository mirrors, we have
> gone ahead and allocated a domain names to the mirror I announced here a
> month ago.  If we've done the wrong thing, please let us know.

Your naming matches with what we did 4 years ago, so at least people
agree about this point.

> These Subversion repositories are hosted on the same machine which hosts
> the Australian CVSup mirror and one of the Australian www mirrors, and
> is located in Brisbane, QLD.  The Subversion repositories are updated
> hourly from svn.FreeBSD.org via svnsync and have been operating reliably
> for the past month.
>
>   svn://svn.au.FreeBSD.org/base
>   svn://svn.au.FreeBSD.org/doc
>   svn://svn.au.FreeBSD.org/ports

svn://svn(1).de.FreeBSD.org/base was running and updated via svnsync since
the beginning of FreeBSD svn tree, but never officially announced as
svnsync didn't support repo surgery, which was considered a complete
show stopper at that time.
AFAIK this problems havn't been solved yet, but despite the fact that
there isn't an official mirror policy to handle those problems
cvsup mirroring had been declared dead in 9.1-RC1 annoucement.
Would have been very nice to have this worked out before, but there
wasn't even a notification for mirror admins.
Today I've decided to add doc and ports repositories to the mirror,
so at least we have everything available at best knowledge.

Server location is Frankfurt Main in Germany with hosting and hardware
kindly sponsored by Plus.line (http://www.plusline.de/).
Since FIZON (http://www.fizon.de) recently sponsored us new hardware we
are in the progres to relocate the service for svn and cvsup to the new
machine within the next couple of weeks.

--
B.Walter <[hidden email]> http://www.bwct.de
Modbus/TCP Ethernet I/O Baugruppen, ARM basierte FreeBSD Rechner uvm.
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-hubs
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: German SVN Mirror (was: Australian Subversion Repository Mirror)

Bernd Walter-4
On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 10:18:44PM +0200, Bernd Walter wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 07:04:41PM +1000, John Marshall wrote:
> > In the absence of any advice as to the propriety of allocating FreeBSD
> > domain names to public FreeBSD Subversion Repository mirrors, we have
> > gone ahead and allocated a domain names to the mirror I announced here a
> > month ago.  If we've done the wrong thing, please let us know.
>
> Your naming matches with what we did 4 years ago, so at least people
> agree about this point.
>
> > These Subversion repositories are hosted on the same machine which hosts
> > the Australian CVSup mirror and one of the Australian www mirrors, and
> > is located in Brisbane, QLD.  The Subversion repositories are updated
> > hourly from svn.FreeBSD.org via svnsync and have been operating reliably
> > for the past month.
> >
> >   svn://svn.au.FreeBSD.org/base
> >   svn://svn.au.FreeBSD.org/doc
> >   svn://svn.au.FreeBSD.org/ports
>
> svn://svn(1).de.FreeBSD.org/base was running and updated via svnsync since

One small point - it is:
http://svn(1).de.FreeBSD.org/base
http://svn(1).de.FreeBSD.org/doc
http://svn(1).de.FreeBSD.org/ports
The original setup predates svnserv.

> the beginning of FreeBSD svn tree, but never officially announced as
> svnsync didn't support repo surgery, which was considered a complete
> show stopper at that time.
> AFAIK this problems havn't been solved yet, but despite the fact that
> there isn't an official mirror policy to handle those problems
> cvsup mirroring had been declared dead in 9.1-RC1 annoucement.
> Would have been very nice to have this worked out before, but there
> wasn't even a notification for mirror admins.
> Today I've decided to add doc and ports repositories to the mirror,
> so at least we have everything available at best knowledge.
>
> Server location is Frankfurt Main in Germany with hosting and hardware
> kindly sponsored by Plus.line (http://www.plusline.de/).
> Since FIZON (http://www.fizon.de) recently sponsored us new hardware we
> are in the progres to relocate the service for svn and cvsup to the new
> machine within the next couple of weeks.

--
B.Walter <[hidden email]> http://www.bwct.de
Modbus/TCP Ethernet I/O Baugruppen, ARM basierte FreeBSD Rechner uvm.
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-hubs
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Australian Subversion Repository Mirror

Bjoern A. Zeeb
In reply to this post by John Marshall-2
On Tue, 14 Aug 2012, John Marshall wrote:

Hey,

sorry no one seems to have replied; I'll try to break a tie of not
having anything official but still say something to at least give
hints.

> In the absence of any advice as to the propriety of allocating FreeBSD
> domain names to public FreeBSD Subversion Repository mirrors, we have
> gone ahead and allocated a domain names to the mirror I announced here a
> month ago.  If we've done the wrong thing, please let us know.

there is nothing wirtten up yet but I think it's ok to give you my
understanding of the current state of discussions of the future policy:

no mirrors under *.freebsd.org not fully controlled by the project,
seems to be a pretty good summary.

We'll not make anyone immediately stop, as we still heavily rely on
these mirrors (at least the ~40-ish% not out of date) in the old world
order.  Even afterwards, you'll still be able to happily provide mirrors,
how could we stop you, but no "official" mirrors anymore.

I think that's the direction we are heading;  the reasons are many,
not just outdated mirrors we can't do a lot about, but I guess it'll
better if we write things up and properly do this as a "long term" thing.

However before more mirrors, and only talking about mirrors at this
point, will pop up, you might want to ponder a different FQDN, which is
not a sub-domain of FreeBSD.ORG, right from the start maybe.

/bz

--
Bjoern A. Zeeb                                 You have to have visions!
          Stop bit received. Insert coin for new address family.
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-hubs
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Australian Subversion Repository Mirror

John Marshall-2
On Mon, 27 Aug 2012, 22:17 +0000, Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:
> sorry no one seems to have replied; I'll try to break a tie of not
> having anything official but still say something to at least give
> hints.

Thank you, Bjoern, for breaking the silence.  I understand that the
hints are unofficial.

> no mirrors under *.freebsd.org not fully controlled by the project,
> seems to be a pretty good summary.

If it helps, we'll pull the svn.au.FreeBSD.org domain name *now* before
more people start using it.

> We'll not make anyone immediately stop, as we still heavily rely on
> these mirrors (at least the ~40-ish% not out of date) in the old world
> order.  Even afterwards, you'll still be able to happily provide mirrors,
> how could we stop you, but no "official" mirrors anymore.

I'm assuming this refers to the CVSup mirrors?  cvsup.au.FreeBSD.org
runs on the same machine.  It is the only local FreeBSD CVSup server
available to FreeBSD users in and around Australia and the South
Pacific: it serves between 3GB and 10GB per day, but I guess it won't
have to do that for much longer?

I look forward to seeing official policy announced soon and the new
infrastructure in place so that those of us who have been doing what we
could, and, in some cases, more than we could really afford, to help the
Project can get over it and move on.

--
John Marshall

attachment0 (203 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

No Australian Subversion Repository Mirror [was: Australian Subversion Repository Mirror]

John Marshall-2
On Tue, 28 Aug 2012, 10:28 +1000, John Marshall wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Aug 2012, 22:17 +0000, Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:
> > no mirrors under *.freebsd.org not fully controlled by the project,
> > seems to be a pretty good summary.
>
> If it helps, we'll pull the svn.au.FreeBSD.org domain name *now* before
> more people start using it.

Given that the obvious intent of Bjoern's unofficial hint was to prevent
the setting up of any more svn.<cc> mirrors, we have decided to go ahead
and withdraw the svn.au domain name now, rather than waiting to be told,
so that its withdwaral disrupts as few users as possible.

So, svn.au.FreeBSD.org is gone.  The closest official mirror for users
in the Australian region is the one on the USA West Coast, an additional
~200ms away.

  svn://svn0.us-west.FreeBSD.org

--
John Marshall

attachment0 (203 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: No Australian Subversion Repository Mirror [was: Australian Subversion Repository Mirror]

Simon L. B. Nielsen-4
On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 9:57 PM, John Marshall
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Aug 2012, 10:28 +1000, John Marshall wrote:
>> On Mon, 27 Aug 2012, 22:17 +0000, Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:
>> > no mirrors under *.freebsd.org not fully controlled by the project,
>> > seems to be a pretty good summary.
>>
>> If it helps, we'll pull the svn.au.FreeBSD.org domain name *now* before
>> more people start using it.
>
> Given that the obvious intent of Bjoern's unofficial hint was to prevent
> the setting up of any more svn.<cc> mirrors, we have decided to go ahead
> and withdraw the svn.au domain name now, rather than waiting to be told,
> so that its withdwaral disrupts as few users as possible.

We are working on trying to formalize a policy but unfortunately most
people involved are rather busy, and nothing is set in stone yet.

At the moment very actively working on getting an EU site set up and
after that APAC is the next region. We are very aware that latency to
APAC, and probably Australia especially more so, is an issue. How much
of an issue it is, I'm not quiet sure.

If people are wondering why we are working on how to do mirroring
differently, please see current status:
http://www.mavetju.org/unix/freebsd-mirrors/ (cvsup is stat seems
broken, but FTP still shows the general picture).

PS. Just because we, at least at this point, prefer not to have
svn*.CC.FreeBSD.org mirrors, doesn't prevent local users / user groups
etc. to have unofficial but updated mirrors.

--
Simon L. B. Nielsen
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-hubs
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: No Australian Subversion Repository Mirror [was: Australian Subversion Repository Mirror]

Fabian Wenk
Hello Simon
Hello Edwin

I have put Edwin Groothuis into To:, as he seems to run this
stats server.

On 31.08.2012 00:41, Simon L. B. Nielsen wrote:
> If people are wondering why we are working on how to do mirroring
> differently, please see current status:
> http://www.mavetju.org/unix/freebsd-mirrors/ (cvsup is stat seems
> broken, but FTP still shows the general picture).

About the CVSup Modules, it seems that this it is not updated any
more on the master, see [1]:

modules 1.21550 7 weeks edwin Ports modules update at Monday
09 July 2012 at 00:09 Feature safe: yes

   [1] http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/CVSROOT-ports/


Also the DNS SOA check is not perfect. It seems that it does not
support (or honor) IPv6 only entries, see e.g. for CH -
Switzerland [1], the zone I run.

   [1]
http://www.mavetju.org/unix/freebsd-mirrors/dns-stats-cc.php?country=ch

I have the following entries in ch.freebsd.org for MX, which does
work perfectly to deliver e-mails:

fabian@flashback:~ $ host -t mx ch.freebsd.org
ch.freebsd.org mail is handled by 10 mail.home4u.ch.
ch.freebsd.org mail is handled by 20 deja-vu.home4u.ch.
ch.freebsd.org mail is handled by 30 deja-vu.ip6.home4u.ch.

fabian@flashback:~ $ host mail.home4u.ch.
mail.home4u.ch has address 62.12.173.2
mail.home4u.ch has IPv6 address 2001:8a8:1005:1::2

fabian@flashback:~ $ host deja-vu.home4u.ch.
deja-vu.home4u.ch has address 62.2.85.178

fabian@flashback:~ $ host deja-vu.ip6.home4u.ch.
deja-vu.ip6.home4u.ch has IPv6 address 2001:8a8:1005:2::178

@Edwin, is this something which could fixed in the tests with
also doing a look up for AAAA entries? This does even work when
the system doing the check does not use IPv6.


bye
Fabian
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-hubs
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"