BBB & IMX6 Hummingboard SDIO driver

Russell Haley
Hi,

I'm building for a BBB and I think I've got almost everything but I
er... can't find the dtb file or the uEnv.txt file. Any help would be
grand? I have a feeling I'm going to have to beg/borrow/steal a
uEnv.txt file from a pre-built image.

As I'm going through the process of re-learning the build steps, i
thought of a couple of things that I either didn't see or couldn't
find on the website:

- A list of boards and their kernel config files
- An easy reference on where to find the bits after the build. yes,
yes, it's in the handbook.
- Since u-boot has been standardised now, it would be nice to have a
section on where to get u-boot and the other bits needed to boot.

Anyway, I've got an unprecedented week with no work and no kids, so
I'm going to do what any sane person would do during a beautiful July
summer: play with FreeBSD!

My end goal - and this is a stretch target - is to try and adopt
Illyia's SDIO driver. I'm not sure how far I'll get, or much time I'll
have after my week is up, but that's what my objective is. I've built
the system using the kernel config BEAGLEBONE-MMCCAM in the blind hope
that it will use his drivers? Once I get that working and can verify
it in dtrace (maybe? yet another rabbit hole!) I want to get it
working on my IMX6 hummingboard.

oh, and I suppose I should open up some code, eh?

Okay, now why isn't my PC computer seeing my sd cards? grrr... ;)

Cheers,

Russ

Re: BBB & IMX6 Hummingboard SDIO driver

Ian Lepore-3
On Sun, 2017-07-16 at 17:41 -0700, Russell Haley wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm building for a BBB and I think I've got almost everything but I
> er... can't find the dtb file or the uEnv.txt file. Any help would be
> grand? I have a feeling I'm going to have to beg/borrow/steal a
> uEnv.txt file from a pre-built image.
>
> As I'm going through the process of re-learning the build steps, i
> thought of a couple of things that I either didn't see or couldn't
> find on the website:
>
> - A list of boards and their kernel config files
> - An easy reference on where to find the bits after the build. yes,
> yes, it's in the handbook.
> - Since u-boot has been standardised now, it would be nice to have a
> section on where to get u-boot and the other bits needed to boot.
>
> Anyway, I've got an unprecedented week with no work and no kids, so
> I'm going to do what any sane person would do during a beautiful July
> summer: play with FreeBSD!
>
> My end goal - and this is a stretch target - is to try and adopt
> Illyia's SDIO driver. I'm not sure how far I'll get, or much time
> I'll
> have after my week is up, but that's what my objective is. I've built
> the system using the kernel config BEAGLEBONE-MMCCAM in the blind
> hope
> that it will use his drivers? Once I get that working and can verify
> it in dtrace (maybe? yet another rabbit hole!) I want to get it
> working on my IMX6 hummingboard.
>
> oh, and I suppose I should open up some code, eh?
>
> Okay, now why isn't my PC computer seeing my sd cards? grrr... ;)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Russ

You don't need a uenv.txt file.  It was always optional, and with the
latest uboot stuff it's completely gone.

-- Ian

On Sun, Jul 16, 2017 at 7:30 PM, Ian Lepore <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, 2017-07-16 at 17:41 -0700, Russell Haley wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm building for a BBB and I think I've got almost everything but I
>> er... can't find the dtb file or the uEnv.txt file. Any help would be
>> grand? I have a feeling I'm going to have to beg/borrow/steal a
>> uEnv.txt file from a pre-built image.
>>
>> As I'm going through the process of re-learning the build steps, i
>> thought of a couple of things that I either didn't see or couldn't
>> find on the website:
>>
>> - A list of boards and their kernel config files
>> - An easy reference on where to find the bits after the build. yes,
>> yes, it's in the handbook.
>> - Since u-boot has been standardised now, it would be nice to have a
>> section on where to get u-boot and the other bits needed to boot.
>>
>> Anyway, I've got an unprecedented week with no work and no kids, so
>> I'm going to do what any sane person would do during a beautiful July
>> summer: play with FreeBSD!
>>
>> My end goal - and this is a stretch target - is to try and adopt
>> Illyia's SDIO driver. I'm not sure how far I'll get, or much time
>> I'll
>> have after my week is up, but that's what my objective is. I've built
>> the system using the kernel config BEAGLEBONE-MMCCAM in the blind
>> hope
>> that it will use his drivers? Once I get that working and can verify
>> it in dtrace (maybe? yet another rabbit hole!) I want to get it
>> working on my IMX6 hummingboard.
>>
>> oh, and I suppose I should open up some code, eh?
>>
>> Okay, now why isn't my PC computer seeing my sd cards? grrr... ;)
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Russ
>
> You don't need a uenv.txt file.  It was always optional, and with the
> latest uboot stuff it's completely gone.
>
> -- Ian
Thanks Ian.

DTB files are apparently generated with buildworld.

https://wiki.freebsd.org/FlattenedDeviceTree

I know they are generated with a specific tool (the name of which I
forget) . I'm surprised it's not it's own target or at least part of
buildkernel.

On Mon, 2017-07-17 at 11:32 -0700, Russell Haley wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 16, 2017 at 7:30 PM, Ian Lepore <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, 2017-07-16 at 17:41 -0700, Russell Haley wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'm building for a BBB and I think I've got almost everything but
> > > er... can't find the dtb file or the uEnv.txt file. Any help
> > > would be
> > > grand? I have a feeling I'm going to have to beg/borrow/steal a
> > > uEnv.txt file from a pre-built image.
> > >
> > > As I'm going through the process of re-learning the build steps,
> > > thought of a couple of things that I either didn't see or
> > > couldn't
> > > find on the website:
> > >
> > > - A list of boards and their kernel config files
> > > - An easy reference on where to find the bits after the build.
> > > yes,
> > > yes, it's in the handbook.
> > > - Since u-boot has been standardised now, it would be nice to
> > > have a
> > > section on where to get u-boot and the other bits needed to boot.
> > >
> > > Anyway, I've got an unprecedented week with no work and no kids,
> > > so
> > > I'm going to do what any sane person would do during a beautiful
> > > July
> > > summer: play with FreeBSD!
> > >
> > > My end goal - and this is a stretch target - is to try and adopt
> > > Illyia's SDIO driver. I'm not sure how far I'll get, or much time
> > > I'll
> > > have after my week is up, but that's what my objective is. I've
> > > built
> > > the system using the kernel config BEAGLEBONE-MMCCAM in the blind
> > > hope
> > > that it will use his drivers? Once I get that working and can
> > > verify
> > > it in dtrace (maybe? yet another rabbit hole!) I want to get it
> > > working on my IMX6 hummingboard.
> > >
> > > oh, and I suppose I should open up some code, eh?
> > >
> > > Okay, now why isn't my PC computer seeing my sd cards? grrr... ;)
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > >
> > > Russ
> > You don't need a uenv.txt file.  It was always optional, and with
> > the
> > latest uboot stuff it's completely gone.
> >
> > -- Ian
> Thanks Ian.
>
> DTB files are apparently generated with buildworld.
>
> https://wiki.freebsd.org/FlattenedDeviceTree
>
> I know they are generated with a specific tool (the name of which I
> forget) . I'm surprised it's not it's own target or at least part of
> buildkernel.
>
> Russ

The DTB files installed on our distributed images are built from
sys/modules/dtb (which makes them part of the kernel build unless you
go out of your way to build them by themselves).

-- Ian

On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 11:34 AM, Ian Lepore <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, 2017-07-17 at 11:32 -0700, Russell Haley wrote:

>> > You don't need a uenv.txt file.  It was always optional, and with
>> > the
>> > latest uboot stuff it's completely gone.
>> >
>> > -- Ian
>> Thanks Ian.
>>
>> DTB files are apparently generated with buildworld.
>>
>> https://wiki.freebsd.org/FlattenedDeviceTree
>>
>> I know they are generated with a specific tool (the name of which I
>> forget) . I'm surprised it's not it's own target or at least part of
>> buildkernel.
>>
>> Russ
>
> The DTB files installed on our distributed images are built from
> sys/modules/dtb (which makes them part of the kernel build unless you
> go out of your way to build them by themselves).

EBK (Error Behind Keyboard): Forgot the single quotes in my find
command. oops. Thanks!

russellh@prescott:~/FreeBSD/hummingboard/obj/arm.armv6/usr/home/russellh/FreeBSD/hummingboard/src/sys%
find . -name '*dtb*'
./BEAGLEBONE-MMCCAM/modules/usr/home/russellh/FreeBSD/hummingboard/src/sys/modules/dtb
./BEAGLEBONE-MMCCAM/modules/usr/home/russellh/FreeBSD/hummingboard/src/sys/modules/dtb/am335x/am335x-boneblack.dtb
./BEAGLEBONE-MMCCAM/modules/usr/home/russellh/FreeBSD/hummingboard/src/sys/modules/dtb/am335x/ufw.dtb
./BEAGLEBONE-MMCCAM/modules/usr/home/russellh/FreeBSD/hummingboard/src/sys/modules/dtb/am335x/am335x-bonegreen.dtb
./BEAGLEBONE-MMCCAM/modules/usr/home/russellh/FreeBSD/hummingboard/src/sys/modules/dtb/am335x/am335x-bone.dtb

Re: BBB & IMX6 Hummingboard SDIO driver

Russell Haley
My installworld is failing?

Steps so far:
#Make a memdisk to speed things up
mkdir /mnt/memdisk
mkdir /mnt/uboot

truncate -s 1024M bbb.img
sudo mdconfig -f bbb.img

gpart create -s mbr md0
gpart add -t fat32 -b 1M -s 50M md0
newfs_msdos -F32 /dev/md0s1
gpart add -t freebsd md0
sudo newfs /dev/md0s2

#build

make -DNO_CLEAN TARGET=arm TARGET_ARCH=armv6 -j10 buildworld
make -DNO_CLEAN TARGET=arm TARGET_ARCH=armv6
KERNCONF=BEAGLEBONE-MMCCAM -j10 buildkernel

#install
sudo mount_msdosfs /dev/md0s1 /mnt/uboot/
sudo mount /dev/md0s2 /mnt/memdisk/
sudo make TARGET_ARCH=armv6 DESTDIR=/mnt/memdisk installworld distribution

build error (full output is here: https://pastebin.com/VU3XDt5u):

>>> Installing everything
cd /usr/home/russellh/FreeBSD/hummingboard/src; make -f Makefile.inc1
install
===> lib (install)
===> lib/csu (install)
===> lib/csu/arm (install)
cc -target armv6-gnueabihf-freebsd12.0
--sysroot=/usr/obj/arm.armv6/usr/home/russellh/FreeBSD/hummingboard/src/tmp
-B/usr/obj/arm.armv6/usr/home/russellh/FreeBSD/hummingboard/src/tmp/usr/bin
-O -pipe -I/usr/home/russellh/FreeBSD/hummingboard/src/lib/csu/common
-I/usr/home/russellh/FreeBSD/hummingboard/src/lib/libc/include
-std=gnu99 -Wsystem-headers -Werror -Wall -Wno-format-y2k -W
-Wno-unused-parameter -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes
-Wpointer-arith -Wreturn-type -Wcast-qual -Wwrite-strings -Wswitch
-Wshadow -Wunused-parameter -Wcast-align -Wchar-subscripts -Winline
-Wnested-externs -Wredundant-decls -Wold-style-definition
-Wno-pointer-sign -Wthread-safety -Wno-empty-body -Wno-string-plus-int
-Wno-unused-const-variable  -Qunused-arguments
ERROR-tried-to-rebuild-during-make-install -mlong-calls -S -o crt1.s
/usr/home/russellh/FreeBSD/hummingboard/src/lib/csu/arm/crt1.c
/tmp/install.t1fF66Xy/sh: cc: not found
*** Error code 127

Stop.
make[6]: stopped in
/usr/home/russellh/FreeBSD/hummingboard/src/lib/csu/arm
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[5]: stopped in
/usr/home/russellh/FreeBSD/hummingboard/src/lib/csu
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[4]: stopped in /usr/home/russellh/FreeBSD/hummingboard/src/lib
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[3]: stopped in /usr/home/russellh/FreeBSD/hummingboard/src
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[2]: stopped in /usr/home/russellh/FreeBSD/hummingboard/src
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[1]: stopped in /usr/home/russellh/FreeBSD/hummingboard/src
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/home/russellh/FreeBSD/hummingboard/src

Thanks,
Russ

On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 11:39 AM, Russell Haley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 11:34 AM, Ian Lepore <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Thanks Ian.
>>>
>>> DTB files are apparently generated with buildworld.
>>>
>>> https://wiki.freebsd.org/FlattenedDeviceTree
>>>
>>> I know they are generated with a specific tool (the name of which I
>>> forget) . I'm surprised it's not it's own target or at least part of
>>> buildkernel.
>>>
>>> Russ
>>
>> The DTB files installed on our distributed images are built from
>> sys/modules/dtb (which makes them part of the kernel build unless you
>> go out of your way to build them by themselves).
>
> EBK (Error Behind Keyboard): Forgot the single quotes in my find
> command. oops. Thanks!
>
> russellh@prescott:~/FreeBSD/hummingboard/obj/arm.armv6/usr/home/russellh/FreeBSD/hummingboard/src/sys%
> find . -name '*dtb*'
> ./BEAGLEBONE-MMCCAM/modules/usr/home/russellh/FreeBSD/hummingboard/src/sys/modules/dtb
> ./BEAGLEBONE-MMCCAM/modules/usr/home/russellh/FreeBSD/hummingboard/src/sys/modules/dtb/am335x/am335x-boneblack.dtb
> ./BEAGLEBONE-MMCCAM/modules/usr/home/russellh/FreeBSD/hummingboard/src/sys/modules/dtb/am335x/ufw.dtb
> ./BEAGLEBONE-MMCCAM/modules/usr/home/russellh/FreeBSD/hummingboard/src/sys/modules/dtb/am335x/am335x-bonegreen.dtb
> ./BEAGLEBONE-MMCCAM/modules/usr/home/russellh/FreeBSD/hummingboard/src/sys/modules/dtb/am335x/am335x-bone.dtb

Re: BBB & IMX6 Hummingboard SDIO driver

Ronald Klop
On Mon, 17 Jul 2017 22:57:21 +0200, Russell Haley <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> My installworld is failing?
>
> Steps so far:
> #Make a memdisk to speed things up
> mkdir /mnt/memdisk
> mkdir /mnt/uboot
>
> truncate -s 1024M bbb.img
> sudo mdconfig -f bbb.img
>
> gpart create -s mbr md0
> gpart add -t fat32 -b 1M -s 50M md0
> newfs_msdos -F32 /dev/md0s1
> gpart add -t freebsd md0
> sudo newfs /dev/md0s2
>
> #build
>
> make -DNO_CLEAN TARGET=arm TARGET_ARCH=armv6 -j10 buildworld
> make -DNO_CLEAN TARGET=arm TARGET_ARCH=armv6
> KERNCONF=BEAGLEBONE-MMCCAM -j10 buildkernel
>
> #install
> sudo mount_msdosfs /dev/md0s1 /mnt/uboot/
> sudo mount /dev/md0s2 /mnt/memdisk/
> sudo make TARGET_ARCH=armv6 DESTDIR=/mnt/memdisk installworld
> distribution
>
> build error (full output is here: https://pastebin.com/VU3XDt5u):

> cd /usr/home/russellh/FreeBSD/hummingboard/src; make -f Makefile.inc1
> install
> ===> lib (install)
> ===> lib/csu (install)
> ===> lib/csu/arm (install)
> cc -target armv6-gnueabihf-freebsd12.0
> --sysroot=/usr/obj/arm.armv6/usr/home/russellh/FreeBSD/hummingboard/src/tmp
> -B/usr/obj/arm.armv6/usr/home/russellh/FreeBSD/hummingboard/src/tmp/usr/bin
> -O -pipe -I/usr/home/russellh/FreeBSD/hummingboard/src/lib/csu/common
> -I/usr/home/russellh/FreeBSD/hummingboard/src/lib/libc/include
> -std=gnu99 -Wsystem-headers -Werror -Wall -Wno-format-y2k -W
> -Wno-unused-parameter -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes
> -Wpointer-arith -Wreturn-type -Wcast-qual -Wwrite-strings -Wswitch
> -Wshadow -Wunused-parameter -Wcast-align -Wchar-subscripts -Winline
> -Wnested-externs -Wredundant-decls -Wold-style-definition
> -Wno-pointer-sign -Wthread-safety -Wno-empty-body -Wno-string-plus-int
> -Wno-unused-const-variable  -Qunused-arguments
> ERROR-tried-to-rebuild-during-make-install -mlong-calls -S -o crt1.s
> /usr/home/russellh/FreeBSD/hummingboard/src/lib/csu/arm/crt1.c
> /tmp/install.t1fF66Xy/sh: cc: not found
> *** Error code 127

'cc: not found'
This happens to me if I forget to set SRCDIR or OBJDIR (from the top of my
head, I'm not on my FreeBSD machine right now). It looks in the default
(but wrong) directory then.

Ronald.