BSD mirror statistics and need for torrents

BSD mirror statistics and need for torrents

Maximilian Palm
Hello everyone,

I'm having a look at how useful .torrent downloads could potentially be
for the BSD community. I saw Andrew from http://openbsd.somedomain.net/
is basically running a complete OpenBSD mirror on his tracker, but has
to seed most of the files himself.

Currently I'm looking for statistics from FreeBSD FTP/HTTP download
sites and mirrors to see how traffic is distributed among the files. Is
everybody really only downloading the recent release or is there a
broader range of things that people download? This data could be
compared to the FreeBSD tracker statistics.

Does anyone gather such information and would be willing to share it?

Regards,

Max

Re: BSD mirror statistics and need for torrents

Carsten Otto-5
Hi,

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 12:16:59PM +0200, Maximilian Palm wrote:
> Currently I'm looking for statistics from FreeBSD FTP/HTTP download
> sites and mirrors to see how traffic is distributed among the files. Is
> everybody really only downloading the recent release or is there a
> broader range of things that people download? This data could be
> compared to the FreeBSD tracker statistics.
>
> Does anyone gather such information and would be willing to share it?

I can easily provide information about the traffic caused by FreeBSD,
split into HTTP, RSYNC, FTP. As you can see in the following graphic, we
(ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de) have about no traffic at all to other
users. Therefore, I do not see the need to use BitTorrent (assuming
the current BitTorrent setup does not have way more traffic than
HTTP/FTP).

http://ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/~cotto/rrd/freebsd%23month.png

As a comparison, we only see significant BitTorrent traffic for the huge
Linux distributions, especially after some release. Based on our
numbers, I do not think that FreeBSD needs a very sophisticated solution
here.

Bye,
--
Carsten Otto           [hidden email]
LuFG Informatik 2      http://verify.rwth-aachen.de/otto/

Re: BSD mirror statistics and need for torrents

Maximilian Palm
Hello Carsten,

On 18.07.2011 12:52, Carsten Otto wrote:
> Based on our numbers, I do not think that FreeBSD needs a very
> sophisticated solution here.

Thank you for that. Having seen the data, I share your opinion. The
torrents on the FreeBSD tracker handle more traffic than your mirror,
mainly the installation .iso files, and that seems to work fine.

Regards, Max