BSDStats ... are you reporting?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

BSDStats ... are you reporting?

Marc Fournier-4
Project URL: http://bsdstats.org

Project Objective:

"The mission of this site is to compile semi-accurate numbers
for advocacy and marketing of the *BSD operating systems."


PC-BSD / TrueOS, to the best of our knowledge, is the only one
that defaults to enabled, while the rest have to be installed / enabled manually.

For FreeBSD users, you just need to install /usr/ports/sysutils/bsdstats to set
things up.

If you aren't participating, we very much encourage you to start ... the report
script is a shell script, so you can scan it to figure out what, exactly, is
being sent in .. and there is only one level of reporting that is  required,
and that is Operating System + Version ... Device and Ports reporting are 100%
optional …

All data is stored in an anonymized fashion … a Token/Key is generated the
first time it is run that identifies your system within the database.

For those that are participating ... once more, thank you ... and spread the
word, we need more ...


If you have any questions, please feel free to email me ...
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-questions
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: BSDStats ... are you reporting?

grahamperrin
Installed. Cheers!

On 01/03/2019 21:24, Marc G Fournier wrote:

 > If you have any questions, please feel free to email me ...

Observations (minor issues):

- <http://bsdstats.org/bt/instructions.html?os=FreeBSD> presents generic
instructions that are not specific to FreeBSD

- generic <http://bsdstats.org/bt/instructions.html> might be improved
with use of a subheading for each platform.

(Speed-reading, at a glance, I imagined that second and subsequent
paragraphs after the OpenBSD paragraph were generic. My bad.)
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-questions
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: BSDStats ... are you reporting?

Trond Endrestøl
In reply to this post by Marc Fournier-4
On Fri, 1 Mar 2019 13:24-0800, Marc G Fournier wrote:

> Project URL: http://bsdstats.org

Not all functionality of the website are up to speed.

--
Trond.
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-questions
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: BSDStats ... are you reporting?

Odhiambo Washington-4
In reply to this post by Marc Fournier-4
On Sat, 2 Mar 2019 at 00:27, Marc G Fournier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Project URL: http://bsdstats.org
>
> Project Objective:
>
> "The mission of this site is to compile semi-accurate numbers
> for advocacy and marketing of the *BSD operating systems."
>
>
> PC-BSD / TrueOS, to the best of our knowledge, is the only one
> that defaults to enabled, while the rest have to be installed / enabled
> manually.
>
> For FreeBSD users, you just need to install /usr/ports/sysutils/bsdstats
> to set
> things up.
>
> If you aren't participating, we very much encourage you to start ... the
> report
> script is a shell script, so you can scan it to figure out what, exactly,
> is
> being sent in .. and there is only one level of reporting that is
> required,
> and that is Operating System + Version ... Device and Ports reporting are
> 100%
> optional …
>
> All data is stored in an anonymized fashion … a Token/Key is generated the
> first time it is run that identifies your system within the database.
>
> For those that are participating ... once more, thank you ... and spread
> the
> word, we need more ...
>
>
> If you have any questions, please feel free to email me ...
>
> Two of my serves gave this error:

BSDstats failed: HTTP query failed during token enabling.

They are 8.4-STABLE :-)

[They will soon be replaced by 12-RELEASE]



--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,
Nairobi,KE
+254 7 3200 0004/+254 7 2274 3223
"Oh, the cruft.", grep ^[^#] :-)
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-questions
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: BSDStats ... are you reporting?

Marc Fournier-4

Can you send me, in a private email, the contents of: cat /var/db/bsdstats

Also, are you running newest version of BSDstats, which should be bsdstats-6.0_2?  I know there have been some fixes since FreeBSD 8.4 ports :)



> On Mar 2, 2019, at 06:49, Odhiambo Washington <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>
>
> On Sat, 2 Mar 2019 at 00:27, Marc G Fournier <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
> Project URL: http://bsdstats.org <http://bsdstats.org/>
>
> Project Objective:
>
> "The mission of this site is to compile semi-accurate numbers
> for advocacy and marketing of the *BSD operating systems."
>
>
> PC-BSD / TrueOS, to the best of our knowledge, is the only one
> that defaults to enabled, while the rest have to be installed / enabled manually.
>
> For FreeBSD users, you just need to install /usr/ports/sysutils/bsdstats to set
> things up.
>
> If you aren't participating, we very much encourage you to start ... the report
> script is a shell script, so you can scan it to figure out what, exactly, is
> being sent in .. and there is only one level of reporting that is  required,
> and that is Operating System + Version ... Device and Ports reporting are 100%
> optional …
>
> All data is stored in an anonymized fashion … a Token/Key is generated the
> first time it is run that identifies your system within the database.
>
> For those that are participating ... once more, thank you ... and spread the
> word, we need more ...
>
>
> If you have any questions, please feel free to email me ...
>
> Two of my serves gave this error:
>
> BSDstats failed: HTTP query failed during token enabling.
>
> They are 8.4-STABLE :-)
>
> [They will soon be replaced by 12-RELEASE]
>  
>
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Odhiambo WASHINGTON,
> Nairobi,KE
> +254 7 3200 0004/+254 7 2274 3223
> "Oh, the cruft.", grep ^[^#] :-)

_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-questions
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: BSDStats ... are you reporting?

Marc Fournier-4
In reply to this post by Trond Endrestøl

Please provide URLs to those pages that you are having issues with …

Thx


> On Mar 2, 2019, at 01:48, Trond Endrestøl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Fri, 1 Mar 2019 13:24-0800, Marc G Fournier wrote:
>
>> Project URL: http://bsdstats.org
>
> Not all functionality of the website are up to speed.
>
> --
> Trond.
> _______________________________________________
> [hidden email] mailing list
> https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-questions
> To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"

_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-questions
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: BSDStats ... are you reporting?

Trond Endrestøl
On Wed, 6 Mar 2019 01:31-0800, Marc G Fournier wrote:

> Please provide URLs to those pages that you are having issues with …

Now, a few days later, almost everything seems to be in order.

A couple of days ago, these URLs gave error messages:

http://bsdstats.org/bt/releases.html
http://bsdstats.org/bt/devices.html

Also, the majority of images doesn't show up when vieweing the latter URL.

--
Trond.
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-questions
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: BSDStats ... are you reporting?

Trond Endrestøl
On Wed, 6 Mar 2019 10:55+0100, Trond Endrestøl wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Mar 2019 01:31-0800, Marc G Fournier wrote:
>
> > Please provide URLs to those pages that you are having issues with …
>
> Now, a few days later, almost everything seems to be in order.
>
> A couple of days ago, these URLs gave error messages:
>
> http://bsdstats.org/bt/releases.html
> http://bsdstats.org/bt/devices.html
>
> Also, the majority of images doesn't show up when vieweing the latter URL.

The webserver is apparently set to serve UTF-8 encoded text, but the
webpages are encoded using singlebyte characters even for characters > 127.

Example: http://bsdstats.org/bt/home.html?os=FreeBSD

--
Trond.
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-questions
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: BSDStats ... are you reporting?

Marc Fournier-4
In reply to this post by Trond Endrestøl

Cleaned up … if anyone has any images ( 24x24 ) that can be used for the missing ones, please feel free to email them over and I can add it into place … I just got rid of the broken image itself …


> On Mar 6, 2019, at 01:55, Trond Endrestøl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Wed, 6 Mar 2019 01:31-0800, Marc G Fournier wrote:
>
>> Please provide URLs to those pages that you are having issues with …
>
> Now, a few days later, almost everything seems to be in order.
>
> A couple of days ago, these URLs gave error messages:
>
> http://bsdstats.org/bt/releases.html
> http://bsdstats.org/bt/devices.html
>
> Also, the majority of images doesn't show up when vieweing the latter URL.
>
> --
> Trond.
> _______________________________________________
> [hidden email] mailing list
> https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-questions
> To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"

_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-questions
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"