BSDstats-6.0 has been released

Yuri-10
I am happy to announce that BSDstats-6.0 has just been released. (port
sysutils/bsdstats)
I took over its maintainership, cleaned it up, very close to a complete
rewrite.

For those who doesn't know what it is: It is the system that is
anonymously reporting the general statistics about your system: CPU,
hardware, OS version, installed packages. Reporting is done monthly, or
on demand. Data is added to the central database, and can be viewed at
http://www.bsdstats.org. It is designed for all BSDs, not just FreeBSD.
Some other BSDs require it to run with bash shell.

Major changes:
1. It now has "TOR" port option, that allows to submit through the tor
anonymity network for even better anonymity.
2. Submission through HTTP proxy is fixed. It now works through proxies
with and without authentication.
3. It works many times faster now. Usually finishes in under 10 seconds.
4. Many smaller bugs are fixed.

Please install BSDstats and use it. It helps port maintainers and driver
developers to better focus their efforts. It is not collecting any
personally identifiable data. All data is handled with the greatest
respect of your privacy in mind. Keeping it installed is all you need to
do.

Regards,
Yuri

Re: BSDstats-6.0 has been released

Dean E. Weimer
On 05/06/2015 1:54 am, Yuri wrote:

> I am happy to announce that BSDstats-6.0 has just been released. (port
> sysutils/bsdstats)
> I took over its maintainership, cleaned it up, very close to a complete
> rewrite.
>
> For those who doesn't know what it is: It is the system that is
> anonymously reporting the general statistics about your system: CPU,
> hardware, OS version, installed packages. Reporting is done monthly,
> or on demand. Data is added to the central database, and can be viewed
> at http://www.bsdstats.org. It is designed for all BSDs, not just
> FreeBSD. Some other BSDs require it to run with bash shell.
>
> Major changes:
> 1. It now has "TOR" port option, that allows to submit through the tor
> anonymity network for even better anonymity.
> 2. Submission through HTTP proxy is fixed. It now works through
> proxies with and without authentication.
> 3. It works many times faster now. Usually finishes in under 10
> seconds.
> 4. Many smaller bugs are fixed.
>
> Please install BSDstats and use it. It helps port maintainers and
> driver developers to better focus their efforts. It is not collecting
> any personally identifiable data. All data is handled with the
> greatest respect of your privacy in mind. Keeping it installed is all
> you need to do.
>
> Regards,
> Yuri
> "[hidden email]"

It seems to fail its manual send after updating my system from the old
port, I didn't chose the TOR option when I built the script if that
matters on this issue.

# bsdstats-send
BSDstats failed: token enabling request failed

Any Ideas?

    Dean E. Weimer
    http://www.dweimer.net/

Re: BSDstats-6.0 has been released

Rolf Nielsen-5

On 2015-05-06 14:43, dweimer wrote:

> On 05/06/2015 1:54 am, Yuri wrote:
>> I am happy to announce that BSDstats-6.0 has just been released.
>> (port sysutils/bsdstats) I took over its maintainership, cleaned
>> it up, very close to a complete rewrite.
>>
>> For those who doesn't know what it is: It is the system that is
>> anonymously reporting the general statistics about your system:
>> CPU, hardware, OS version, installed packages. Reporting is done
>> monthly, or on demand. Data is added to the central database, and
>> can be viewed at http://www.bsdstats.org. It is designed for all
>> BSDs, not just FreeBSD. Some other BSDs require it to run with
>> bash shell.
>>
>> Major changes: 1. It now has "TOR" port option, that allows to
>> submit through the tor anonymity network for even better
>> anonymity. 2. Submission through HTTP proxy is fixed. It now
>> works through proxies with and without authentication. 3. It
>> works many times faster now. Usually finishes in under 10
>> seconds. 4. Many smaller bugs are fixed.
>>
>> Please install BSDstats and use it. It helps port maintainers
>> and driver developers to better focus their efforts. It is not
>> collecting any personally identifiable data. All data is handled
>> with the greatest respect of your privacy in mind. Keeping it
>> installed is all you need to do.
>>
>> Regards, Yuri _______________________________________________
>> [hidden email] mailing list
>> http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-questions To
>> unsubscribe, send any mail to
>> "[hidden email]"
>
> It seems to fail its manual send after updating my system from the
> old port, I didn't chose the TOR option when I built the script if
> that matters on this issue.
>
> # bsdstats-send BSDstats failed: token enabling request failed
>
> Any Ideas?

I get a similar error, and I didn't choose the TOR option either.

# bsdstats-send
BSDstats runs on this system for the first time, generating
registration ID
BSDstats failed: Invalid key/token combination received from the server

Re: BSDstats-6.0 has been released

Marc Fournier-4

Bug reported by dweimer -and- Rolf Nielsen fixed … was on rpt server side … one of the things Yuri fixed in the script was the ordering of ‘key/token’ pairs … old version had them backwards … server was modified to detect automatically new vs old scripts based on lengths, and I had an “off by one” error on the checks …

Fixed and confirmed:

# bsdstats-send
Posting OS statistics to rpt.bsdstats.org ... SUCCESS
Posting device statistics to rpt.bsdstats.org ... SUCCESS
Posting CPU information to rpt.bsdstats.org ... SUCCESS
Posting port statistics to rpt.bsdstats.org ... SUCCESS

On 05/06/2015 10:38 am, Marc Fournier wrote:

> Bug reported by dweimer -and- Rolf Nielsen fixed … was on rpt server
> side … one of the things Yuri fixed in the script was the ordering of
> ‘key/token’ pairs … old version had them backwards … server was
> modified to detect automatically new vs old scripts based on lengths,
> and I had an “off by one” error on the checks …
>
> Fixed and confirmed:
>
> # bsdstats-send
> Posting OS statistics to rpt.bsdstats.org ... SUCCESS
> Posting device statistics to rpt.bsdstats.org ... SUCCESS
> Posting CPU information to rpt.bsdstats.org ... SUCCESS
> Posting port statistics to rpt.bsdstats.org ... SUCCESS

Confirmed fixed on my side as well, keep up the good work.

On 05/06/2015 05:43, dweimer wrote:

> It seems to fail its manual send after updating my system from the old
> port, I didn't chose the TOR option when I built the script if that
> matters on this issue.
>
> # bsdstats-send
> BSDstats failed: token enabling request failed

Could you please e-mail to me (not to the list) your /var/db/bsdstats
file? What is your OS version?
Also, if you can, in the file
/usr/local/etc/periodic/monthly/300.statistics make
DO_LOG_NET_TRAFFIC=1, run 'bsdstats-send' once more, and send me the
files /tmp/bsdstats.out.log and /tmp/bsdstats.in.log ?

Thank you,
Yuri

Re: BSDstats-6.0 has been released

Yuri-10
On 05/06/2015 05:43, dweimer wrote:
> It seems to fail its manual send after updating my system from the old
> port, I didn't chose the TOR option when I built the script if that
> matters on this issue.
>
> # bsdstats-send
> BSDstats failed: token enabling request failed
>
> Any Ideas?

Actually, I got the word that this was the server bug that is now fixed.
So please try again, and confirm that this is fixed for you.

Thanks,
Yuri

Re: BSDstats-6.0 has been released

Rolf Nielsen-5

Re: BSDstats-6.0 has been released

John-4
On Wed, May 06, 2015 at 08:38:26AM -0700, Marc Fournier wrote:

> Bug reported by dweimer -and- Rolf Nielsen fixed … was on rpt s
> erver side … one of the things Yuri fixed in the script was the o
> rdering of ‘key/token’ pairs … old version had them backward
> s … server was modified to detect automatically new vs old scrip
> ts based on lengths, and I had an “off by one” error on the c

Hi,

There's another error now:

Posting device statistics to rpt.bsdstats.org ... BSDstats failed:
HTTP query failed during system devices submission

thanks,
--
John

Re: BSDstats-6.0 has been released

Marc Fournier-4

Marc G Fournier
Owner, Hub.Org <http://hub.org/> Hosting Solutions S.A.

> On May 7, 2015, at 07:46, John <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Wed, May 06, 2015 at 08:38:26AM -0700, Marc Fournier wrote:
>>
>> Bug reported by dweimer -and- Rolf Nielsen fixed … was on rpt s
>> erver side … one of the things Yuri fixed in the script was the o
>> rdering of ‘key/token’ pairs … old version had them backward
>> s … server was modified to detect automatically new vs old scrip
>> ts based on lengths, and I had an “off by one” error on the c
>
> Hi,
>
> There's another error now:
>
> Posting device statistics to rpt.bsdstats.org ... BSDstats failed:
> HTTP query failed during system devices submission

Need more info on that one … are you doing anything iwth the TOR/Proxy settings?   Or is this straight through?   Can you send me (privately or on list, your call) the contents of hte /var/db/bsdstats file?

Yuri, almost need a -debug switch ;)