Bytemark Mirror

James Lawrie
Hi,

I've emailed mirror-admin about this as well but I'm not sure if that
was the right place.

We're getting a connection refused error from our mirror
(212.110.161.69) to ftp.uk.freebsd.org. This has persisted for almost a
week, has something changed or should we be using a different master
mirror now?

rsync: failed to connect to ftp.uk.freebsd.org: Connection refused (111)
rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at clientserver.c(122)
[Receiver=3.0.7]

Thanks,

James Lawrie                                  Bytemark Hosting Support
                                               http://www.bytemark.co.uk/
                                               tel: +44 (0) 1904 890 890

Re: Bytemark Mirror

Christiaan Keet-2
On 24/01/2012 15:10, James Lawrie wrote:

> We're getting a connection refused error from our mirror
> (212.110.161.69) to ftp.uk.freebsd.org. This has persisted for almost
> a week, has something changed or should we be using a different master
> mirror now?

Ah, sorry about that.    I notified everyone we could find before I
turned that off, but I obviously missed you.

We're in the process of decommissioning the current ftp.uk.freebsd.org -
it's been over 14 years, and several jobs later I've just really run out
of time to really look after the tons of mirrors we used to run. As
someone else commented earlier, cvsup.plig.net was also decommissioned a
while ago, for similar reasons.

I've requested for the DNS to be redirected a while ago, and have been
promised it's in progress.

rsync is turned on again for now, I'll hopefully be able to leave it
running until Joe gets round to sorting out the DNS.   I hope someone
else will take up the cause and replace ftp.uk.freebsd.org!

- Christiaan for *.plig.net

Re: Bytemark Mirror

Dr Josef Karthauser
On 24 Jan 2012, at 15:10, James Lawrie wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've emailed mirror-admin about this as well but I'm not sure if that was the right place.
>
> We're getting a connection refused error from our mirror (212.110.161.69) to ftp.uk.freebsd.org. This has persisted for almost a week, has something changed or should we be using a different master mirror now?
>
> rsync: failed to connect to ftp.uk.freebsd.org: Connection refused (111)
> rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at clientserver.c(122) [Receiver=3.0.7]

Hi James,

The UK FTP servers are currently in flux. Our main mirror has just been retired after 14 years of service. We're investigating how quickly we can get it replaced, so please bear with us during this transition.

Thanks,
Joe

Re: Bytemark Mirror

James Lawrie
Hi Joe,

> The UK FTP servers are currently in flux.

That's fine, as long as it's not something I've caused we're happy to
sit back for now.

> Our main mirror has just been retired after 14 years of service. We're investigating how quickly we can get it replaced

Is this something you need or would like a volunteer effort for?
Depending on the bandwidth required we might be able to offer our mirror
as a primary (once it's up to date).

On 24 Jan 2012, at 18:14, James Lawrie wrote:
> Hi Joe,
>
>> The UK FTP servers are currently in flux.
>
> That's fine, as long as it's not something I've caused we're happy to sit back for now.
>
>> Our main mirror has just been retired after 14 years of service. We're investigating how quickly we can get it replaced
>
> Is this something you need or would like a volunteer effort for? Depending on the bandwidth required we might be able to offer our mirror as a primary (once it's up to date).

The dns records have been updated, and ftp.uk.freebsd.org is now pointing to mirrorservice.org. They appear fast and complete at this time. If you'd like to offer up a second mirror for ftp2.uk.freebsd.org, that would be wondering, if you can spare the resources.

Many thanks,
Joe_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-hubs

Re: Bytemark Mirror

Mark Blackman-4

On 24 Jan 2012, at 15:59, Christiaan Keet wrote:

> rsync is turned on again for now, I'll hopefully be able to leave it running until Joe gets round to sorting out the DNS.   I hope someone else will take up the cause and replace ftp.uk.freebsd.org!

FYI, mirror.exonetric.net has been set up and is waiting for the DNS switchover to become the new ftp.uk.freebsd.org.

We currently provide HTTP, FTP and rsync access. We aim to provide cvsup and a www mirror as well, once
configured. As we're connected to LINX in London and as we add more peers, that system should be a reasonably
well-connected resource, in general.

We're currently updating from ftp-master.freebsd.org, but would like to start updating from ftp-master.eu.freebsd.org.

- Mark_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-hubs

Re: Bytemark Mirror

Ben Babich
Hi guys,

What volume of data do you expect per month for this kind of setup?

Cheers
Ben

On 28 Mar 2012, at 15:41, Ben Babich wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> What volume of data do you expect per month for this kind of setup?

I've got no idea, but I'm hoping it's not routinely way over 100Mbps, but
the occasional burst to 1G is okay. I'm expecting it to average out to
about 50Mbps. I'll let you convert that to megabytes/gigabytes/terabytes.

- Mark

On 28 Mar 2012, at 15:03, Mark Blackman wrote:

> On 24 Jan 2012, at 15:59, Christiaan Keet wrote:
>>
>> rsync is turned on again for now, I'll hopefully be able to leave it running until Joe gets round to sorting out the DNS.   I hope someone else will take up the cause and replace ftp.uk.freebsd.org!
>
> FYI, mirror.exonetric.net has been set up and is waiting for the DNS switchover to become the new ftp.uk.freebsd.org.
>
> We currently provide HTTP, FTP and rsync access. We aim to provide cvsup and a www mirror as well, once
> configured. As we're connected to LINX in London and as we add more peers, that system should be a reasonably
> well-connected resource, in general.
>
> We're currently updating from ftp-master.freebsd.org, but would like to start updating from ftp-master.eu.freebsd.org.

Hi Mark,

I've made the DNS change and ftp.uk.freebsd.org is now pointing at your new mirror. Many thanks for setting this up for us.

Cheers,

On Fri, 30 Mar 2012, Dr Josef Karthauser wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> I've made the DNS change and ftp.uk.freebsd.org is now pointing at your new mirror. Many thanks for setting this up for us.
>
> Cheers,
> Joe

Thanks, we're syncing from ftp-master.eu.freebsd.org now.

Cheers,
Mark