CFT for vendor openzfs - week 3 reminder

CFT for vendor openzfs - week 3 reminder

Matthew Macy-3
On Wednesday, July 8th I issued the initial call for testing for the
update to HEAD to vendored openzfs. We'd like to give users roughly a
month to test before merging. I'm pushing the tentative merge date out
by a week to August 17th as I wasn't able to spend any time working on
this myself last week.

Again, I hope it's not terribly controversial to point out that
it really rests with users of non amd64 platforms to test to avoid any
unpleasant surprises the next time they update their trees following
the merge.

NB: Do NOT zpool upgrade unless you are willing to live without the
ability to ever rollback to the legacy zfs kmod.

Checkout updated HEAD:
% git clone https://github.com/mattmacy/networking.git -b
projects/openzfs_vendor freebsd

Checkout updated openzfs in to sys/contrib:
% git clone https://github.com/zfsonfreebsd/ZoF.git -b
projects/openzfs_vendor freebsd/sys/contrib/openzfs

Build world and kernel with whatever your usual configuration is.
Where possible the openzfs kmod is backward compatible with the cmd
utils in HEAD so common operations work with existing tools and the
new kmod. In the projects/openzfs_vendor branch of ZoF ozfs libraries
are backward compatible with the zfs kmod in HEAD. Although ideally
one would test this in a separate boot environment, the
interoperability should allow one to rollback without too much
difficulty.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Re: CFT for vendor openzfs - week 3 reminder

Yamagi Burmeister
Hi,
I've tested the merge candidate for some days on our PostgreSQL and
MariaDB servers. But only on replication followers (slaves), not the
leaders (masters). I haven't seen any problems, on the opposite: The
problems with scattered ARC buffers are finally gone. See [0] for
details.

One small nit, though. I'm unable to delegate datasets to jails:

% zfs create system/data/test
% jls
   JID  IP Address      Hostname             Path
     1  10.42.11.5      portaldb-test.XXX.de /data/jails/portaldb-test
% zfs jail 1 system/data/test
internal error: Inappropriate ioctl for device
zsh: abort (core dumped)  zfs jail 1 system/data/test

Regards,
Yamagi

0:
https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-fs/2018-August/026612.html

--
Homepage: https://www.yamagi.org
Github:   https://github.com/yamagi

Re: CFT for vendor openzfs - week 3 reminder

Matthew Macy-3
> % zfs create system/data/test
> % jls
>    JID  IP Address      Hostname             Path
>      1  10.42.11.5      portaldb-test.XXX.de /data/jails/portaldb-test
> % zfs jail 1 system/data/test
> internal error: Inappropriate ioctl for device
> zsh: abort (core dumped)  zfs jail 1 system/data/test

My guess is that this is the same problem I was seeing with the
DTRACEIOC_PROVIDER ioctl that was causing dtrace to fail. I had
defined zoneid_t to be 8 bytes in openzfs  - but it was defined as 4
bytes in userland which was causing the switch statement to fall
through. I fixed this on Tuesday or Wednesday last week.

If it's still an issue I will fix.

-M

> Regards,
> Yamagi
>
> 0:
> https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-fs/2018-August/026612.html
>
> On Mon, 20 Jul 2020 15:56:20 -0700
> Matthew Macy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On Wednesday, July 8th I issued the initial call for testing for the
> > update to HEAD to vendored openzfs. We'd like to give users roughly a
> > month to test before merging. I'm pushing the tentative merge date out
> > by a week to August 17th as I wasn't able to spend any time working on
> > this myself last week.
> >
> > Again, I hope it's not terribly controversial to point out that
> > it really rests with users of non amd64 platforms to test to avoid any
> > unpleasant surprises the next time they update their trees following
> > the merge.
>
> --
> Homepage: https://www.yamagi.org
> Github:   https://github.com/yamagi
> GPG:      0x1D502515

Re: CFT for vendor openzfs - week 3 reminder

Yamagi Burmeister
On Tue, 28 Jul 2020 18:33:39 -0700
Matthew Macy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > % zfs create system/data/test
> > % jls
> >    JID  IP Address      Hostname             Path
> >      1  10.42.11.5      portaldb-test.XXX.de /data/jails/portaldb-test
> > % zfs jail 1 system/data/test
> > internal error: Inappropriate ioctl for device
> > zsh: abort (core dumped)  zfs jail 1 system/data/test
> >

> My guess is that this is the same problem I was seeing with the
> DTRACEIOC_PROVIDER ioctl that was causing dtrace to fail. I had
> defined zoneid_t to be 8 bytes in openzfs  - but it was defined as 4
> bytes in userland which was causing the switch statement to fall
> through. I fixed this on Tuesday or Wednesday last week.
>
> If it's still an issue I will fix.
Hi,
I just gave it a try. I'm still hitting the error with both branches
rebuild this morning. FreeBSD is at 3d833be and OpenZFS is at
f10f94a. It looks like there's still something missing.

Regards,
Yamagi

On Thu, Jul 30, 2020 at 6:28 AM Yamagi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Jul 2020 18:33:39 -0700
> Matthew Macy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > > % zfs create system/data/test
> > > % jls
> > >    JID  IP Address      Hostname             Path
> > >      1  10.42.11.5      portaldb-test.XXX.de /data/jails/portaldb-test
> > > % zfs jail 1 system/data/test
> > > internal error: Inappropriate ioctl for device
> > > zsh: abort (core dumped)  zfs jail 1 system/data/test
> > >

> > My guess is that this is the same problem I was seeing with the
> > DTRACEIOC_PROVIDER ioctl that was causing dtrace to fail. I had
> > defined zoneid_t to be 8 bytes in openzfs  - but it was defined as 4
> > bytes in userland which was causing the switch statement to fall
> > through. I fixed this on Tuesday or Wednesday last week.
> >
> > If it's still an issue I will fix.
>
> Hi,
> I just gave it a try. I'm still hitting the error with both branches
> rebuild this morning. FreeBSD is at 3d833be and OpenZFS is at
> f10f94a. It looks like there's still something missing.

I'll rebase the OpenZFS projects/openzfs_vendor when the fix is merged:
https://github.com/openzfs/zfs/pull/10658

Cheers.
-M

Re: CFT for vendor openzfs - week 3 reminder

Matthew Macy-3
> I'll rebase the OpenZFS projects/openzfs_vendor when the fix is merged:
> https://github.com/openzfs/zfs/pull/10658

Should be fixed now.

Re: CFT for vendor openzfs - week 3 reminder

Yamagi Burmeister
On Mon, 3 Aug 2020 17:14:01 -0700
Matthew Macy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > I'll rebase the OpenZFS projects/openzfs_vendor when the fix is merged:
> > https://github.com/openzfs/zfs/pull/10658
>
> Should be fixed now.

I can confirm that it's working now. Thank you for fixing this!