${COMPILER_VERSION} < 40300

Eric van Gyzen-2
If I were to clean up obsolete ${COMPILER_VERSION} tests in the tree,
which ones should I keep?  I would probably confine it to head, so I
could prune quite a few.

Eric

Re: ${COMPILER_VERSION} < 40300

Warner Losh
On Thu, May 7, 2020 at 10:38 AM Eric van Gyzen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If I were to clean up obsolete ${COMPILER_VERSION} tests in the tree,
> which ones should I keep?  I would probably confine it to head, so I
> could prune quite a few.

Anything in the bootstrap path should remain, especially in the install
portion of the bootstrap path since we don't require new compilers for
that. I doubt there's more than one or two of these and there may be zero.
The rest can go away.

We should also look at taking out the fmake workarounds in the tree too.
Most of these are in src/Makefile and src/Makefile.inc.

Warner

Re: ${COMPILER_VERSION} < 40300

John Baldwin
On 5/7/20 10:17 AM, Warner Losh wrote:

> On Thu, May 7, 2020 at 10:38 AM Eric van Gyzen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> If I were to clean up obsolete ${COMPILER_VERSION} tests in the tree,
>> which ones should I keep?  I would probably confine it to head, so I
>> could prune quite a few.
>>

> Anything in the bootstrap path should remain, especially in the install
> portion of the bootstrap path since we don't require new compilers for
> that. I doubt there's more than one or two of these and there may be zero.
> The rest can go away.
>
> We should also look at taking out the fmake workarounds in the tree too.
> Most of these are in src/Makefile and src/Makefile.inc.

I think Eric though was asking about <sys/cdefs.h> and the like.  Right now
we still have conditional support for some really old compilers that are
likely to never be used with FreeBSD 13 (ancient Intel icc, gcc 2.95, etc.).

Like, do we keep support for pre-ANSI C to delete 'const' etc. via
macros?   Admittedly there isn't a tremendous amount of cruft in cdefs.h.
What would seem more invasive would be to do things like require C99 and
use 'restrict' directly instead of __restrict, but the first step towards
any of that is probably to remove some of the cruft from cdefs.h and
possibly some other places.

(BTW, it would be good to know if it's at all useful to keep any of the
icc bits around.)

--
John Baldwin

Re: ${COMPILER_VERSION} < 40300

Eric van Gyzen-2
On 5/8/20 1:22 PM, John Baldwin wrote:
> I think Eric though was asking about <sys/cdefs.h> and the like.

Actually, I was asking about makefile conditions, but this is still a
good discussion to have.  I'm in a cleanup mood.

> (BTW, it would be good to know if it's at all useful to keep any of the
> icc bits around.)

Intel made a FreeBSD version of their 2016 compiler.

https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/articles/intel-system-studio-2016-for-freebsd.html

That uses Clang as a front-end, so maybe some of the old icc bits can
still go away.  I still have a copy of that compiler, so I can test
things as needed.

Eric

Re: ${COMPILER_VERSION} < 40300

Konstantin Belousov
On Fri, May 08, 2020 at 11:22:51AM -0700, John Baldwin wrote:

> On 5/7/20 10:17 AM, Warner Losh wrote:
> > On Thu, May 7, 2020 at 10:38 AM Eric van Gyzen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> If I were to clean up obsolete ${COMPILER_VERSION} tests in the tree,
> >> which ones should I keep?  I would probably confine it to head, so I
> >> could prune quite a few.
> >>

> > Anything in the bootstrap path should remain, especially in the install
> > portion of the bootstrap path since we don't require new compilers for
> > that. I doubt there's more than one or two of these and there may be zero.
> > The rest can go away.
> >
> > We should also look at taking out the fmake workarounds in the tree too.
> > Most of these are in src/Makefile and src/Makefile.inc.
>
> I think Eric though was asking about <sys/cdefs.h> and the like.  Right now
> we still have conditional support for some really old compilers that are
> likely to never be used with FreeBSD 13 (ancient Intel icc, gcc 2.95, etc.).
>
> Like, do we keep support for pre-ANSI C to delete 'const' etc. via
> macros?   Admittedly there isn't a tremendous amount of cruft in cdefs.h.
> What would seem more invasive would be to do things like require C99 and
> use 'restrict' directly instead of __restrict, but the first step towards
> any of that is probably to remove some of the cruft from cdefs.h and
> possibly some other places.
I think __restrict still needs to be around, due to C++ not supporting
the keyword.

Actually there is more urgent need to add some bits to cdefs.h, like
c17 and newer POSIX_C_SOURCE.

> (BTW, it would be good to know if it's at all useful to keep any of the
> icc bits around.)
>
> --
> John Baldwin

Re: ${COMPILER_VERSION} < 40300

Eric van Gyzen-2
> If I were to clean up obsolete ${COMPILER_VERSION} tests in the tree,
> which ones should I keep?  I would probably confine it to head, so I
> could prune quite a few.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.  If you're interested:

        https://reviews.freebsd.org/D24802

Eric