CURRENT >r349150: boot failure in rc.conf.local

CURRENT >r349150: boot failure in rc.conf.local

Hartmann, O.-2
On all CURRENT boxes running CURRENT > r349150 we face the very same boot
failure, if /etc/rc.conf.local is present (i.e. on CURRENT, 13.0-CURRENT #7
r349169: Tue Jun 18 10:34:13 CEST 2019 amd64):

The box boots and thentries to start services denominated
in /etc/rc.conf.local, like net/openldap-server (slapd). The box is then stuck
at "startingt slapd", hitting Ctrl-T shows state "running", but Ctrl-C does not
show any effect, except Ctrl-Alt-Del (if enabled) is effectively rebooting the
box. First I thought it might by a out-of-sync binary, but this phenomenon
spreads even over recently via make installed systems. Disabling OpenLDAP's
slapd at boot time gives my like rolling a dice the next service, named
(dns/bind914) or net/samba48 (samba_server) - you name it. The box gets stuck
forever and doesn't even start sshd to provide access. All boxes have IPv6
enabled as well as IPFW.

Another server running CURRENT (r349169, also amd64) without
utilizing /etc/rc.conf.local but with a bunch of jails is booting as usual!

What happened here? Does anyone do have a hint or might know the cause?

Thanks in advance,

Oliver

Re: CURRENT >r349150: boot failure in rc.conf.local

Jung-uk Kim
On 19. 6. 18., O. Hartmann wrote:

> On all CURRENT boxes running CURRENT > r349150 we face the very same boot
> failure, if /etc/rc.conf.local is present (i.e. on CURRENT, 13.0-CURRENT #7
> r349169: Tue Jun 18 10:34:13 CEST 2019 amd64):
>
> The box boots and thentries to start services denominated
> in /etc/rc.conf.local, like net/openldap-server (slapd). The box is then stuck
> at "startingt slapd", hitting Ctrl-T shows state "running", but Ctrl-C does not
> show any effect, except Ctrl-Alt-Del (if enabled) is effectively rebooting the
> box. First I thought it might by a out-of-sync binary, but this phenomenon
> spreads even over recently via make installed systems. Disabling OpenLDAP's
> slapd at boot time gives my like rolling a dice the next service, named
> (dns/bind914) or net/samba48 (samba_server) - you name it. The box gets stuck
> forever and doesn't even start sshd to provide access. All boxes have IPv6
> enabled as well as IPFW.
>
> Another server running CURRENT (r349169, also amd64) without
> utilizing /etc/rc.conf.local but with a bunch of jails is booting as usual!
>
> What happened here? Does anyone do have a hint or might know the cause?

I had the same problem and reverting r349154 fixed the problem for me.

https://svnweb.freebsd.org/changeset/base/349154

FYI...

Jung-uk Kim

Re: CURRENT >r349150: boot failure in rc.conf.local

Takanori Watanabe-2
On Tue, Jun 18, 2019 at 09:03:17AM -0400, Jung-uk Kim wrote:

> On 19. 6. 18., O. Hartmann wrote:
> > On all CURRENT boxes running CURRENT > r349150 we face the very same boot
> > failure, if /etc/rc.conf.local is present (i.e. on CURRENT, 13.0-CURRENT #7
> > r349169: Tue Jun 18 10:34:13 CEST 2019 amd64):
> >
> > The box boots and thentries to start services denominated
> > in /etc/rc.conf.local, like net/openldap-server (slapd). The box is then stuck
> > at "startingt slapd", hitting Ctrl-T shows state "running", but Ctrl-C does not
> > show any effect, except Ctrl-Alt-Del (if enabled) is effectively rebooting the
> > box. First I thought it might by a out-of-sync binary, but this phenomenon
> > spreads even over recently via make installed systems. Disabling OpenLDAP's
> > slapd at boot time gives my like rolling a dice the next service, named
> > (dns/bind914) or net/samba48 (samba_server) - you name it. The box gets stuck
> > forever and doesn't even start sshd to provide access. All boxes have IPv6
> > enabled as well as IPFW.
> >
> > Another server running CURRENT (r349169, also amd64) without
> > utilizing /etc/rc.conf.local but with a bunch of jails is booting as usual!
> >
> > What happened here? Does anyone do have a hint or might know the cause?
>
> I had the same problem and reverting r349154 fixed the problem for me.
>
> https://svnweb.freebsd.org/changeset/base/349154
>
> FYI...
>
> Jung-uk Kim

In my machine, some executable, such as chromium, perl will hang like you.
It is also fixed by reverting r349154. Thanks.

Re: CURRENT >r349150: boot failure in rc.conf.local

Cy Schubert-4
Looping in the committer of r349154.

--
Pardon the typos and autocorrect, small keyboard in use.
Cheers,

Re: CURRENT >r349150: boot failure in rc.conf.local

Conrad Meyer-2
Hi everyone,

Please find a proposed fix in https://reviews.freebsd.org/D20686 .

I didn't notice this thread because I'm already subscribed to current
and CC's don't display any differently in my mail reader.  (I don't
read every thread on current.)

Take care,
Conrad

On Tue, Jun 18, 2019 at 11:49:58AM -0700, Conrad Meyer wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Please find a proposed fix in https://reviews.freebsd.org/D20686 .
>
> I didn't notice this thread because I'm already subscribed to current
> and CC's don't display any differently in my mail reader.  (I don't
> read every thread on current.)

I confirmed the fix has been committed and now works again, thanks!