Can't use plugins installed inside eclipse after updating to 3.7.1

Can't use plugins installed inside eclipse after updating to 3.7.1

Nagy, Attila
Hi,

I've just recently updated to eclipse 3.7.1 (from ports) and since then
I can't use plugins (CDT and pydev) installed from eclipse (via
help->install new software etc).
The error is the same as described here:
http://eggbung.blogspot.hu/2010/01/pydev-fails-no-editor-descriptor.html
What I've tried already: completely purge my ~/.eclipse and workspace
directories, run and compile (who knows) it with the all the JDKs
(jdk16, openjdk16/17).

One thing I found so far is in /usr/local/lib/eclipse/eclipse.ini there is
-Dorg.eclipse.equinox.p2.reconciler.dropins.directory=/usr/local/share/eclipse/dropins
but that directory is empty. The only dropins directory which actually
contains jars is: /usr/local/lib/eclipse/dropins
Changing this from share to lib doesn't make any changes.

BTW, if I install CDT and pydev from ports, they work.

Re: Can't use plugins installed inside eclipse after updating to 3.7.1

Andriy Gapon
on 04/07/2012 17:31 Attila Nagy said the following:

> Hi,
>
> I've just recently updated to eclipse 3.7.1 (from ports) and since then I can't
> use plugins (CDT and pydev) installed from eclipse (via help->install new software
> etc).
> The error is the same as described here:
> http://eggbung.blogspot.hu/2010/01/pydev-fails-no-editor-descriptor.html
> What I've tried already: completely purge my ~/.eclipse and workspace directories,
> run and compile (who knows) it with the all the JDKs (jdk16, openjdk16/17).
>
> One thing I found so far is in /usr/local/lib/eclipse/eclipse.ini there is
> -Dorg.eclipse.equinox.p2.reconciler.dropins.directory=/usr/local/share/eclipse/dropins
>
> but that directory is empty. The only dropins directory which actually contains
> jars is: /usr/local/lib/eclipse/dropins
> Changing this from share to lib doesn't make any changes.
>
> BTW, if I install CDT and pydev from ports, they work.

Try running the following command:
$ find /usr/local/lib/eclipse -type f \! -perm +004

If it finds anything, then chmod those files to be world-readable.
After that start with a clean .eclipse again and things should work.

Maybe you have a different problem.
But if that's it, then eclipse port definitely has to be fixed to (_always_)
install files with correct permissions.

--
Andriy Gapon

On 07/04/2012 05:31 PM, Andriy Gapon wrote:

> on 04/07/2012 17:31 Attila Nagy said the following:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've just recently updated to eclipse 3.7.1 (from ports) and since then I can't
>> use plugins (CDT and pydev) installed from eclipse (via help->install new software
>> etc).
>> The error is the same as described here:
>> http://eggbung.blogspot.hu/2010/01/pydev-fails-no-editor-descriptor.html
>> What I've tried already: completely purge my ~/.eclipse and workspace directories,
>> run and compile (who knows) it with the all the JDKs (jdk16, openjdk16/17).
>>
>> One thing I found so far is in /usr/local/lib/eclipse/eclipse.ini there is
>> -Dorg.eclipse.equinox.p2.reconciler.dropins.directory=/usr/local/share/eclipse/dropins
>>
>> but that directory is empty. The only dropins directory which actually contains
>> jars is: /usr/local/lib/eclipse/dropins
>> Changing this from share to lib doesn't make any changes.
>>
>> BTW, if I install CDT and pydev from ports, they work.
> Try running the following command:
> $ find /usr/local/lib/eclipse -type f \! -perm +004
Nothing is found.

> Maybe you have a different problem.
> But if that's it, then eclipse port definitely has to be fixed to (_always_)
> install files with correct permissions.

According to google results, it's a somewhat common problem. I've faced
this previously and as far as I can remember, I switched back to the
previous version and maybe the next update fixed this issue.