Carp questions

Mark Saad-5
All
  I am running into two carp questions I can’t easily find an answer too . Before I go off and try to break stuff I figured i’de ask if anyone has tried this and has any pointers .

Issue one : adding more user defined bits to the custom carp Mac . So this is not all that common but in some cases you can have two pairs of carp servers with overlapping vhids that eventually cause trouble with each other.  Has anyone tried this ? I am ok with random-ish mac’s like how crossbow does this on illumos .

Issue two: one way carp fail over . For example node a and b are carp partners . Node a crashes node b takes over but there is no automatic fail back when node a recovers . I can’t find a way to do this in 11.x . I am stumped anyone have any built into magic for this ?

---
Mark Saad | [hidden email]

Re: Carp questions

Trond Endrestøl
On Thu, 11 Oct 2018 07:25-0400, Mark Saad wrote:

> I am running into two carp questions I can’t easily find an answer
> too . Before I go off and try to break stuff I figured i’de ask if
> anyone has tried this and has any pointers .
>
> Issue one : adding more user defined bits to the custom carp Mac .
> So this is not all that common but in some cases you can have two
> pairs of carp servers with overlapping vhids that eventually cause
> trouble with each other.  Has anyone tried this ? I am ok with
> random-ish mac’s like how crossbow does this on illumos .

Maybe someone else can answer this.

> Issue two: one way carp fail over . For example node a and b are
> carp partners . Node a crashes node b takes over but there is no
> automatic fail back when node a recovers . I can’t find a way to do
> this in 11.x . I am stumped anyone have any built into magic for
> this ?

I run doubly DHCP servers using CARP, and I have
net.inet.carp.preempt=1 in /etc/sysctl.conf on the master only.

--
Trond.