Citrix Xenserver and FreeBSD migration/suspend scripts

12

Citrix Xenserver and FreeBSD migration/suspend scripts

Mark Felder-4
So about a month ago someone made some scripts public that seem to pass
XenServer the data it needs to believe you're running fully supported Xen
Tools on FreeBSD. I'm surprised this didn't make headlines. Perhaps it was
just posted to the wrong audience. Anyway, with these scripts in place you
can then do suspend and migrate which is something I've personally been
dying to have access to. Without migration we've been stuck with VMWare so
this gives us a glimmer of hope as far as a reasonable alternative goes.

Original post here:

http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-api/2012-06/msg00137.html

"I can suspend, move, use ballooning, display ip, disk bandwitdth and
so... from XenCenter. "

The wiki here:

http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/FreeBSD_9.0_64-bit_HVM_on_XCP_1.1

seems to indicate that the original author intended for this to be using
an OpenBSD license. I can't actually see that listed anywhere publicly,
and I wasn't on that list and haven't found his real email address yet to
thank him for these scripts.....

I took this, put it on github, and spent a little bit of time tonight
trying to make sense of it and clean it up a bit. It could definitely use
an overhaul in a few places and have some more cruft cleaned up, but it's
better than nothing. I've successfully removed any dependency on BASH as
well as made the rc script a proper rc script. Finally, we're at a point
where you need no strange cache files (in /procfalse? what was that
about?) or an /etc/freebsd-version file. It's fairly standalone now.

I've been testing this on a 9.0-RELEASE with a XEN-HVM kernel. I've tested
suspend, but haven't had a chance to do a migrate yet. Memory usage is
reporting correctly. I can't seem to see anything functionally wrong with
this, but I'm sure it could use some love. Ideally I'd like to see this at
a point where it's clean enough that we can add it into the
sysutils/xen-tools port so everyone running Citrix XenServer has easy
access to this capability.

So here you go:

https://github.com/felderado/freebsd-xen-tools-scripts

Please -- consume, fork, tinker, etc. I don't have any particularly
outstanding scripting skills and have no reason to "own" this project.
Perhaps we'll end up with a much cleaner and final version floating out
there soon enough.

Re: Citrix Xenserver and FreeBSD migration/suspend scripts

Mark Felder-4
I've had a few positive responses off-list about this and the desire to
get this into the ports tree somehow. Someone also had the original
author's email address (he subscribes to this list), so I'm going to CC
him on this email as well.

We could probably get this into the ports tree relatively quickly. I've
been working closely with the ports@ team recently, so it wouldn't take
much effort in that respect. Some questions were brought up about what it
should be named or if it should be a separate port and I don't know what
the right answer here is, really. Perhaps emulators/xe-tools or
emulators/xenserver-tools would be sufficient.

I guess the first step would be to find some place to officially host the
tarball and/or tag a release on github. As it stands things are fully
functional, so getting this into the ports tree shouldn't be too big of a
problem. Long term I'd like to see this cleaned up a bit more... it's
quite the mess. Honestly, everything could (and should) be rolled into one
shell script because there's really no need to have xe-daemon,
xe-ip-if.sh, and xe-update-guest-attrs. For the record,
xe-update-guest-attrs is the file with the Citrix/GPL header. It has the
examples of how we should be calling the other xen-tools to report data to
XenServer. Whether we concentrate on this script or a rewrite happens
doesn't really matter to me; it's not a lot of code I'd just like to see
all of these really awful hacks removed :-)

Someone was asking about whether or not this was production-worthy. I
really don't see why not. I suppose if this fails you'll just end up with
a VM running without recognized tools again. I don't believe it's possible
for the OS to crash from things these scripts run, and the ability to
migrate/suspend Xen VMs is not reliant on these tools in a fully open
source Xen environment; this is just a requirement Citrix imposes.

Feel free to speak up if you have any thoughts or suggestions :-)

Egoitz, can you confirm what license you originally released everything
under? I'd like to properly honor that license if you had one in mind.

Re: Citrix Xenserver and FreeBSD migration/suspend scripts

Gót András-2
Hi,

Of course this should make into ports and some little news would also be
good on the freebsd-stable list and the freebsd website also. This is a
very big thing to have FreeBSD working fine under XenServer fine.

What would you need to host the tarballs?

I'm in a XenServer deployment project, kind of public cloud but small
scale of course as we're not amazon, and we'd be also happy to evaluate
and test it. It'd be very good to offer FreeBSD based VM-s also.

Regards,
Andras

On 08/08/2012 04:31 PM, Mark Felder wrote:

> I've had a few positive responses off-list about this and the desire to
> get this into the ports tree somehow. Someone also had the original
> author's email address (he subscribes to this list), so I'm going to CC
> him on this email as well.
>
> We could probably get this into the ports tree relatively quickly. I've
> been working closely with the ports@ team recently, so it wouldn't take
> much effort in that respect. Some questions were brought up about what
> it should be named or if it should be a separate port and I don't know
> what the right answer here is, really. Perhaps emulators/xe-tools or
> emulators/xenserver-tools would be sufficient.
>
> I guess the first step would be to find some place to officially host
> the tarball and/or tag a release on github. As it stands things are
> fully functional, so getting this into the ports tree shouldn't be too
> big of a problem. Long term I'd like to see this cleaned up a bit
> more... it's quite the mess. Honestly, everything could (and should) be
> rolled into one shell script because there's really no need to have
> xe-daemon, xe-ip-if.sh, and xe-update-guest-attrs. For the record,
> xe-update-guest-attrs is the file with the Citrix/GPL header. It has the
> examples of how we should be calling the other xen-tools to report data
> to XenServer. Whether we concentrate on this script or a rewrite happens
> doesn't really matter to me; it's not a lot of code I'd just like to see
> all of these really awful hacks removed :-)
>
> Someone was asking about whether or not this was production-worthy. I
> really don't see why not. I suppose if this fails you'll just end up
> with a VM running without recognized tools again. I don't believe it's
> possible for the OS to crash from things these scripts run, and the
> ability to migrate/suspend Xen VMs is not reliant on these tools in a
> fully open source Xen environment; this is just a requirement Citrix
> imposes.
>

> Feel free to speak up if you have any thoughts or suggestions :-)
>

> Egoitz, can you confirm what license you originally released everything
> under? I'd like to properly honor that license if you had one in mind.

Re: Citrix Xenserver and FreeBSD migration/suspend scripts

Mark Felder-4
On Wed, 08 Aug 2012 09:41:26 -0500, Gót András <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> What would you need to host the tarballs?

If someone or some company has a vested interest in pushing this and
developing it then by all means go ahead and take the current codebase and
run with it. Otherwise I think what I'll end up doing is tagging releases
in github and using that as the primary mirror and getting a copy of the
tarballs onto the FreeBSD mirrors.

Re: Citrix Xenserver and FreeBSD migration/suspend scripts

moto kawasaki

Hello Mr. Mark Felder,

I'd say thank you again and again for your scripts.

I am running several XenServer machines and dozens of amd64/HVMXEN
VMs, hence longing to have XenTools for FreeBSD for months.

Now I am going to have a test run of those scripts, and wish to do
something I can do to make it a ports.

Thank you very much.

--
moto kawasaki <[hidden email]>

Re: Citrix Xenserver and FreeBSD migration/suspend scripts

Egoitz Aurrekoetxea Aurre-2
Hi all,

The Xenserver tools I prepared are for xcp and version specified in :

http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/FreeBSD_9.0_64-bit_HVM_on_XCP_1.1

Although it's possible them to work on Xenserver... But are just tested and ported from and for  Xcp.

Let us know if they work. The license is opened license style, bsd for example for being totally unrestrictive. The wiki article allows downloading a tar file with xenserver tools... Not xentools because for that purpose I do use the ports ones... for working with xenserver tools. Lars needs to update  this because it's an adaptation of text mistake, in the real pdf thete's not that mistake :)

So mates, if some doubt comes to you let me know for helping with.

Best regards,

El 09/08/2012, a las 02:49, moto kawasaki <[hidden email]> escribió:

> Hello Mr. Mark Felder,
>
> I'd say thank you again and again for your scripts.
>
> I am running several XenServer machines and dozens of amd64/HVMXEN
> VMs, hence longing to have XenTools for FreeBSD for months.
>
> Now I am going to have a test run of those scripts, and wish to do
> something I can do to make it a ports.
>

> Thank you very much.
>
> --
> moto kawasaki <[hidden email]>

Re: Citrix Xenserver and FreeBSD migration/suspend scripts

Egoitz Aurrekoetxea Aurre-2
Another little thing... I'm now on holidays and when I opened this scripts I was a little busy but I plan to write a port on September/October with them.

Regards,

El 09/08/2012, a las 02:49, moto kawasaki <[hidden email]> escribió:

> Hello Mr. Mark Felder,
>
> I'd say thank you again and again for your scripts.
>
> I am running several XenServer machines and dozens of amd64/HVMXEN
> VMs, hence longing to have XenTools for FreeBSD for months.
>
> Now I am going to have a test run of those scripts, and wish to do
> something I can do to make it a ports.
>

> Thank you very much.
>
> --
> moto kawasaki <[hidden email]>

Re: Citrix Xenserver and FreeBSD migration/suspend scripts

moto kawasaki

Hi,

I'd just inform you of my first exprience.

0) My environment is:
    - XenServer 6.0.2 fully patched.
    - FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE-p4 amd64 HVMXEN (to which PF entries added)
    - sysutils/xen-tools-4.0.1 ports installed.

1) XenCenter shows warning as;
     "XenServer Tools out of date (version 6.0 installed)"

   Changing MicroVersion from 0 to 2 in xe-update-guest-attr file
   doesn't have effect on this issue.

     xenstore_write_cached "attr/PVAddons/MicroVersion" "2"
                                                        ^^^
                                                       0 to 2

2) "Shutdown" button on XenCenter works but doesn't complete.
   I guess XenServer/XenCenter expect something like "shutdown -p now"
   on the FreeBSD VM, but actually it runs like "shutdown -h now".
   Thus, FreeBSD VM has shut down, but doesn't cut its power, thus
   XenCenter remains on the way shutting down (VM icon stays in
   green, not goes to red.).

3) Moving VM from one member host to another in the pool works.
   wow!!

Thank you again.
I am so happy with those scripts!!

--
moto kawasaki <[hidden email]> 090-2464-8454

Re: Citrix Xenserver and FreeBSD migration/suspend scripts

Mark Felder-4
On Thu, 09 Aug 2012 13:42:03 -0500, moto kawasaki <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> 1) XenCenter shows warning as;
>      "XenServer Tools out of date (version 6.0 installed)"
>   Changing MicroVersion from 0 to 2 in xe-update-guest-attr file
>    doesn't have effect on this issue.
>     xenstore_write_cached "attr/PVAddons/MicroVersion" "2"
>                                                         ^^^
>                                                        0 to 2

On XenServer 6.0.0 the current settings work fine. I imagine we need to
investigate what version the tools are on other platforms and emulate that
version accordingly.

> 2) "Shutdown" button on XenCenter works but doesn't complete.
>    I guess XenServer/XenCenter expect something like "shutdown -p now"
>    on the FreeBSD VM, but actually it runs like "shutdown -h now".
>    Thus, FreeBSD VM has shut down, but doesn't cut its power, thus
>    XenCenter remains on the way shutting down (VM icon stays in
>    green, not goes to red.).

I haven't looked to see how this is handled at all, but I bet it's
something we can fix.

> 3) Moving VM from one member host to another in the pool works.
>    wow!!

Thanks for giving us another confirmation!

Re: Citrix Xenserver and FreeBSD migration/suspend scripts

moto kawasaki

Hi

>> 1) XenCenter shows warning as;
>>      "XenServer Tools out of date (version 6.0 installed)"
         <snip>
> On XenServer 6.0.0 the current settings work fine. I imagine we need
> to investigate what version the tools are on other platforms and
> emulate that version accordingly.

Thanks, and I forgot to write that this message appears with CentOS
6.3 PV + XenServer Tools which is taken from XenServer 6.0.2.
So, This might not be a bug in the script, but rather a bug in
XenServer side.
Sorry for late information.

Thank you very much!!

Sincerely,

El 10/08/2012, a las 03:37, moto kawasaki <[hidden email]> escribió:

> Hi,
>
> Thank you for your quick reply!
> This is moto again.
>
> From: Egoitz Aurrekoetxea <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: Citrix Xenserver and FreeBSD migration/suspend scripts
> Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 22:50:18 +0200
>
>>> 1) XenCenter shows warning as;
>>>    "XenServer Tools out of date (version 6.0 installed)"
>           <snip>
>> I suppose you'll have to have 6 0 2 in three *version xenstore
>>>    attribs... Make some tests... Not just change the micro...
>
> I couldn't find any line in the scripts except for micro version
> mentioned before... X-(

Let me check I'll tell you something today... Should be easy...

>>> 2) "Shutdown" button on XenCenter works but doesn't complete.
>       <snip>
>> Yep just hit intro twice and you should be done...

Click on the vm vnc console and two times enter/intro I meant

> All right, I'll try push shutdown button twice.
> But, this is not critical since I can do it by just logging in and
> shutdown from command line.
>
>>> 3) Moving VM from one member host to another in the pool works.
>>>  wow!!
>>
>> Meanwhile suspend works this shoud not be a problem... Why don't you
>>>  try Xen Cloud??
>
> Ah, I'll try. It is from historical and political reasons.

Ok this way you can be running the same env...

> By the way, now my /var/log/messages is filled with the following
> logs.
> Could you please give me any pointer/information if you don't mind ?
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Aug 10 10:31:28 xenserver xe_daemon[10567]: /usr/local/sbin/xe-update-guest-attrs: cannot open eth0 | 192.168.227.33
> Aug 10 10:31:28 xenserver xe_daemon[10567]: eth1 | 192.168.227.161: No such file or directory
> Aug 10 10:32:15 xenserver xe_daemon[126]: /usr/local/sbin/xe-update-guest-attrs: cannot open eth0 | 192.168.227.33
> Aug 10 10:32:15 xenserver xe_daemon[126]: eth1 | 192.168.227.161: No such file or directory
> Aug 10 10:32:28 xenserver xe_daemon[10567]: /usr/local/sbin/xe-update-guest-attrs: cannot open eth0 | 192.168.227.33
> Aug 10 10:32:28 xenserver xe_daemon[10567]: eth1 | 192.168.227.161: No such file or directory
> Aug 10 10:33:15 xenserver xe_daemon[126]: /usr/local/sbin/xe-update-guest-attrs: cannot open eth0 | 192.168.227.33
> Aug 10 10:33:15 xenserver xe_daemon[126]: eth1 | 192.168.227.161: No such file or directory

Let me check this please but surely it would be something easy to solve or something that is not complete on the installation....

> And also, I also want to make them ports package.
> If you need tester, just let me know.
>

> Thank you very much!

You're welcome,
Regards!

> Best Regards,
>

> --
> moto kawasaki <[hidden email]> 090-2464-8454

Re: Citrix Xenserver and FreeBSD migration/suspend scripts

Egoitz Aurrekoetxea Aurre-2

What are you going to develop :) ?

El 10/08/2012, a las 04:19, Mark Felder <[hidden email]> escribió:

> On Thu, 09 Aug 2012 12:46:43 -0500, Egoitz Aurrekoetxea <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> The license is opened license style, bsd for example for being totally unrestrictive.
>
> Since my work is based on yours I'll put a BSD license on it :-)

Re: Citrix Xenserver and FreeBSD migration/suspend scripts

Egoitz Aurrekoetxea Aurre-2

> And also, I also want to make them ports package.
> If you need tester, just let me know.

Hi mate,

Well in September I'll be able to make a port and later of course a pkg_create -Rb will be able to be launched for building the packages and them dependencies for later to be able to install all at one :)

On Fri, 2012-08-10 at 10:31 +0200, Egoitz Aurrekoetxea wrote:
> Hi!!

Hi!!

> El 10/08/2012, a las 03:37, moto kawasaki <[hidden email]> escribió:
>

> > Hi,
> >
> > Thank you for your quick reply!
> > This is moto again.
> >
> > From: Egoitz Aurrekoetxea <[hidden email]>
> > Subject: Re: Citrix Xenserver and FreeBSD migration/suspend scripts
> > Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 22:50:18 +0200

> >           <snip>

take a look a little later in this mail :)

> >> I suppose you'll have to have 6 0 2 in three *version xenstore

Check the change proposed down....

> > I couldn't find any line in the scripts except for micro version
> > mentioned before... X-(
> >

> Let me check I'll tell you something today... Should be easy...

Try setting in xe-update-guest-attrs

xenstore_write_cached "attr/PVAddons/MajorVersion" "6"
xenstore_write_cached "attr/PVAddons/MinorVersion" "2"
xenstore_write_cached "attr/PVAddons/MicroVersion" "0"

(line 172 and so....)

was Xenserver 6.2.0 wasn't it??

> >       <snip>
> >> Yep just hit intro twice and you should be done...
>
> Click on the vm vnc console and two times enter/intro I meant
>

> > All right, I'll try push shutdown button twice.
> > But, this is not critical since I can do it by just logging in and
> > shutdown from command line.

> >> Meanwhile suspend works this shoud not be a problem... Why don't you
> >
> > Ah, I'll try. It is from historical and political reasons.
> >

> Ok this way you can be running the same env...
>
> > By the way, now my /var/log/messages is filled with the following
> > logs.
> > Could you please give me any pointer/information if you don't mind ?
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Aug 10 10:31:28 xenserver xe_daemon[10567]: /usr/local/sbin/xe-update-guest-attrs: cannot open eth0 | 192.168.227.33
> > Aug 10 10:31:28 xenserver xe_daemon[10567]: eth1 | 192.168.227.161: No such file or directory
> > Aug 10 10:32:15 xenserver xe_daemon[126]: /usr/local/sbin/xe-update-guest-attrs: cannot open eth0 | 192.168.227.33
> > Aug 10 10:32:15 xenserver xe_daemon[126]: eth1 | 192.168.227.161: No such file or directory
> > Aug 10 10:32:28 xenserver xe_daemon[10567]: /usr/local/sbin/xe-update-guest-attrs: cannot open eth0 | 192.168.227.33
> > Aug 10 10:32:28 xenserver xe_daemon[10567]: eth1 | 192.168.227.161: No such file or directory
> > Aug 10 10:33:15 xenserver xe_daemon[126]: /usr/local/sbin/xe-update-guest-attrs: cannot open eth0 | 192.168.227.33
> > Aug 10 10:33:15 xenserver xe_daemon[126]: eth1 | 192.168.227.161: No such file or directory

are you using the version provided in the tar file for
xe-update-guest-attrs ?? there's nothing under /usr/local/sbin.... Is
this log from the host or the vm? the vm isn't it?? check the path of
the files...

> Let me check this please but surely it would be something easy to solve or something that is not complete on the installation....
>

> > And also, I also want to make them ports package.
> > If you need tester, just let me know.
> >

> > Thank you very much!
> >

> You're welcome,
> Regards!
>

> > Best Regards,
> >

> > --
> > moto kawasaki <[hidden email]> 090-2464-8454

Re: Citrix Xenserver and FreeBSD migration/suspend scripts

Mark Felder-4
On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 08:56:30 -0500, Egoitz Aurrekoetxea
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> was Xenserver 6.2.0 wasn't it??

No, it was 6.0.2. I haven't had a chance to figure this out as I don't
have a 6.0.2 XenServer available right now.

Re: Citrix Xenserver and FreeBSD migration/suspend scripts

Mark Felder-4
On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 03:31:12 -0500, Egoitz Aurrekoetxea
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Aug 10 10:31:28 xenserver xe_daemon[10567]:
>> /usr/local/sbin/xe-update-guest-attrs: cannot open eth0 | 192.168.227.33
>> Aug 10 10:31:28 xenserver xe_daemon[10567]: eth1 | 192.168.227.161: No
>> such file or directory
>> Aug 10 10:32:15 xenserver xe_daemon[126]:
>> /usr/local/sbin/xe-update-guest-attrs: cannot open eth0 | 192.168.227.33
>> Aug 10 10:32:15 xenserver xe_daemon[126]: eth1 | 192.168.227.161: No
>> such file or directory
>> Aug 10 10:32:28 xenserver xe_daemon[10567]:
>> /usr/local/sbin/xe-update-guest-attrs: cannot open eth0 | 192.168.227.33
>> Aug 10 10:32:28 xenserver xe_daemon[10567]: eth1 | 192.168.227.161: No
>> such file or directory
>> Aug 10 10:33:15 xenserver xe_daemon[126]:
>> /usr/local/sbin/xe-update-guest-attrs: cannot open eth0 | 192.168.227.33
>> Aug 10 10:33:15 xenserver xe_daemon[126]: eth1 | 192.168.227.161: No
>> such file or directory
>>
> Let me check this please but surely it would be something easy to solve
> or something that is not complete on the installation....

He's using my modified version of the xen tools scripts and I just caught
this bug this morning. It appears to be fixed here:

https://github.com/felderado/freebsd-xen-tools-scripts/commit/9250a10ae8a1ab1045f15964bd1cfce1124423bd#src/usr/local/sbin/xe-update-guest-attrs

Re: Citrix Xenserver and FreeBSD migration/suspend scripts

Egoitz Aurrekoetxea Aurre-2
If you're using my xenservertools for freebsd version replace as said before... But where I entered a 2 set 0 and viceversa

Regards,

El 10/08/2012, a las 18:09, Mark Felder <[hidden email]> escribió:

> On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 08:56:30 -0500, Egoitz Aurrekoetxea <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> was Xenserver 6.2.0 wasn't it??
>
> No, it was 6.0.2. I haven't had a chance to figure this out as I don't have a 6.0.2 XenServer available right now.

RE: Citrix Xenserver and FreeBSD migration/suspend scripts

Jay West-2
Just tried the migration scripts on 64bit FreeBSD 9.0-Release & 9.1-Beta
XENHVM kernel with PV drivers. Seems to work under Xenserver 6.0 and
Xenserver 5.6SP2. I can't say how awesome that is, thank you VERY much to
the people who worked on it. Not having stable virtualization with migration
for FreeBSD under Xenserver has been a severe shortcoming for this FreeBSD
zealot, finally we can roll out a new infrastructure with our preferred OS.

Questions:
1) on the stock 64bit 9.0 & 9.1-beta XENHVM kernels, we still had the boot
problem where after installing the kernel and rebooting, the boot failed as
being unable to find the boot device. We had to pass a boot string of ad0p2
instead of the default ada0p2, and then edit fstab accordingly. I assume
others here had to do that as well?

2) I'm sure this will show a lack of understanding on my part,  but I'm just
curious about the xen-tools port that has been in the ports collection for a
little while. As per the pdf on the migration/suspend scripts, this needs to
be installed first. I would think the current port - being called
"xen-tools", would/should include these migration/suspend scripts. It's not
xen-tools (in Citrix parlance) without that capability. So, is this a case
of the new scripts just "finish off" the work that went into the current
xen-tools script and the xen-tools port in the ports collection is
functionally incomplete? I guess I'm unclear as to the
history/relationship/status of the xen-tools port and these
migration/suspend scripts.

3) In some of my googling on 64 bit XENHVM "how-to's", one of them (can't
find it at the moment) mentioned 64 bit Freebsd not working right under Xen
with regards to SMP, and the how-to offered several patches to disable SMP
amongst other related items. To run the new migration/suspend scripts, did
other people here need to use those patches?

Jay West
EZwind.net
PO Box 460474
Saint Louis, MO 63146
Voice: (314) 262-4143 ext 1000
Toll Free: (866) 343-2589
Fax: (314) 558-9284

This e-mail transmission may contain information that is proprietary,
privileged and/or confidential
and is intended exclusively for the person(s) to whom it is addressed. Any
use, copying, retention
or disclosure by any person other than the intended recipient or the
intended recipient's designees
is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient or their
designee, please notify the
sender immediately by return e-mail and delete all copies.

On Sun, 12 Aug 2012 07:50:16 -0500, Jay West <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Questions:
> 1) on the stock 64bit 9.0 & 9.1-beta XENHVM kernels, we still had the
> boot
> problem where after installing the kernel and rebooting, the boot failed
> as
> being unable to find the boot device. We had to pass a boot string of
> ad0p2
> instead of the default ada0p2, and then edit fstab accordingly. I assume
> others here had to do that as well?

Yes, but I think that's because with the XENHVM kernel the disks are using
a different driver. There's a difference between the ad and ada drivers.

> 2) I'm sure this will show a lack of understanding on my part,  but I'm
> just
> curious about the xen-tools port that has been in the ports collection
> for a
> little while. As per the pdf on the migration/suspend scripts, this
> needs to
> be installed first. I would think the current port - being called
> "xen-tools", would/should include these migration/suspend scripts. It's
> not
> xen-tools (in Citrix parlance) without that capability. So, is this a
> case
> of the new scripts just "finish off" the work that went into the current
> xen-tools script and the xen-tools port in the ports collection is
> functionally incomplete? I guess I'm unclear as to the
> history/relationship/status of the xen-tools port and these
> migration/suspend scripts.

This is likely where it will show up. I've been talking to the ports@ team
and it seems to make sense that we include it in that port.

> 3) In some of my googling on 64 bit XENHVM "how-to's", one of them (can't
> find it at the moment) mentioned 64 bit Freebsd not working right under
> Xen
> with regards to SMP, and the how-to offered several patches to disable
> SMP
> amongst other related items. To run the new migration/suspend scripts,
> did
> other people here need to use those patches?

I have a feeling this is an old/resolved issue as I've not seen it yet.

Re: Citrix Xenserver and FreeBSD migration/suspend scripts

moto kawasaki

Hi Egoitz-san,

Thank you very much for your reply!!

Year, I've tried that in xe-update-guest-attrs:

    xenstore_write_cached "attr/PVAddons/MajorVersion" "6"
    xenstore_write_cached "attr/PVAddons/MinorVersion" "0"
    xenstore_write_cached "attr/PVAddons/MicroVersion" "2"

But still XenCenter recognises it as old version of xenserver-tools.

>>> was Xenserver 6.2.0 wasn't it??
>> No, it was 6.0.2. I haven't had a chance to figure this out as I
>> don't have a 6.0.2 XenServer available right now.

This is true. XenServer version is 6.0.2. just for clarification.

Best Regards,