Compile FreeBSD on linux/MacOS

Alexandru Elisei
Hello,

I know there is a project about compiling FreeBSD on linux or MacOS.

Where can I find more information about the project? Has it been submitted
for review?

Best regards,
Alexandru Elisei

Re: Compile FreeBSD on linux/MacOS

Alexander Richardson-3
Once Fri, 31 Aug 2018, 14:11 Alexandru Elisei, <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I know there is a project about compiling FreeBSD on linux or MacOS.
>
> Where can I find more information about the project? Has it been submitted
> for review?

Hi Alexandru,

I have been working on this for the past few months. I have a
work-in-progress branch on GitHub <
https://github.com/arichardson/freebsd/tree/crossbuild-aug2018> (warning: I
rebase this branch whenever I commit one of my changes) but I haven't
written up anything about the current state.
I have a few pending patches on phabricator and some committed changes but
the rest of the changes still needs some clean-up before it can be
submitted. Most of the changes are just allowing to build one of the
bootstrap tools on non-FreeBSD but there are also two bigger changes
(D16815 and D14316) to provide the basic cross-OS building infrastructure.

It currently works fine for me on MacOS and Linux when compiling with the
CHERI fork of llvm/clang/lld (<https://github.com/CTSRD-CHERI/clang>) but
in order to compile with upstream clang you will have to delete the builtin
std* headers from the clang install since they are incompatible with the
FreeBSD stddef.h/stdio.h/etc. headers.

If you want to try it out you should to use the script tools/build/make.py
instead of make and if you're lucky `make.py buildworld` might succeed.
I've tested building for mips64 and amd64 but other architectures might
also be fine.

Alex

Best regards,
> Alexandru Elisei

Re: Compile FreeBSD on linux/MacOS

Alexandru Elisei
Hello Alex,

If someone wants to create an issue or contribute to your patch, how can
that be done?

Regards,
Alex

On Sun, Sep 2, 2018 at 4:31 PM Alexander Richardson <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Once Fri, 31 Aug 2018, 14:11 Alexandru Elisei, <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I know there is a project about compiling FreeBSD on linux or MacOS.
>>
>> Where can I find more information about the project? Has it been submitted
>> for review?
>>

> Hi Alexandru,
>

> I have been working on this for the past few months. I have a
> work-in-progress branch on GitHub <
> https://github.com/arichardson/freebsd/tree/crossbuild-aug2018> (warning:
> I rebase this branch whenever I commit one of my changes) but I haven't
> written up anything about the current state.
> I have a few pending patches on phabricator and some committed changes but
> the rest of the changes still needs some clean-up before it can be
> submitted. Most of the changes are just allowing to build one of the
> bootstrap tools on non-FreeBSD but there are also two bigger changes
> (D16815 and D14316) to provide the basic cross-OS building infrastructure.
>
> It currently works fine for me on MacOS and Linux when compiling with the
> CHERI fork of llvm/clang/lld (<https://github.com/CTSRD-CHERI/clang>) but
> in order to compile with upstream clang you will have to delete the builtin
> std* headers from the clang install since they are incompatible with the
> FreeBSD stddef.h/stdio.h/etc. headers.
>
> If you want to try it out you should to use the script tools/build/make.py
> instead of make and if you're lucky `make.py buildworld` might succeed.
> I've tested building for mips64 and amd64 but other architectures might
> also be fine.
>

> Alex
>
> Best regards,
>> Alexandru Elisei

Re: Compile FreeBSD on linux/MacOS

Alexander Richardson-3
Hi Alex,

If you would like to make some changes you could open an issue/create a
pull request on my GitHub repo. However, I'll be traveling for the next two
weeks so it might take a while until I respond. Once I get back I will
start working on this again and hopefully get most of the patches submitted
soon.

Regards,
Alex