Compiling error for amd64 on FreeBSD9.0 with XENHVM when include xen console driver.

Compiling error for amd64 on FreeBSD9.0 with XENHVM when include xen console driver.

Wei Xu
Hi All,
I'm trying to compile new kernel with Xen Console driver on AMD 64
platform, it's not included by default,
I got compile error like this , I checked the code and i386 has the
pc_ipi_to_irq but amd64 doesn't,
look like it hasn't been experience with amd64, is there anyone know
whether it can work? thanks.

/usr/src/sys/xen/evtchn/evtchn.c: In function 'ipi_pcpu':
/usr/src/sys/xen/evtchn/evtchn.c:236: error: 'struct pcpu' has no member
named 'pc_ipi_to_irq'
/usr/src/sys/xen/evtchn/evtchn.c: In function 'bind_virq_to_irq':
/usr/src/sys/xen/evtchn/evtchn.c:347: error: 'struct pcpu' has no member
named 'pc_virq_to_irq'
/usr/src/sys/xen/evtchn/evtchn.c:360: error: 'struct pcpu' has no member
named 'pc_virq_to_irq'
/usr/src/sys/xen/evtchn/evtchn.c: In function 'bind_ipi_to_irq':
/usr/src/sys/xen/evtchn/evtchn.c:383: error: 'struct pcpu' has no member
named 'pc_ipi_to_irq'
/usr/src/sys/xen/evtchn/evtchn.c:394: error: 'struct pcpu' has no member
named 'pc_ipi_to_irq'
/usr/src/sys/xen/evtchn/evtchn.c: In function 'unbind_from_irq':
/usr/src/sys/xen/evtchn/evtchn.c:424: error: 'struct pcpu' has no member
named 'pc_virq_to_irq'
/usr/src/sys/xen/evtchn/evtchn.c:428: error: 'struct pcpu' has no member
named 'pc_ipi_to_irq'
/usr/src/sys/xen/evtchn/evtchn.c: In function 'irq_resume':
/usr/src/sys/xen/evtchn/evtchn.c:1012: error: 'struct pcpu' has no member
named 'pc_virq_to_irq'
/usr/src/sys/xen/evtchn/evtchn.c:1034: error: 'struct pcpu' has no member
named 'pc_ipi_to_irq'
/usr/src/sys/xen/evtchn/evtchn.c: In function 'evtchn_init':
/usr/src/sys/xen/evtchn/evtchn.c:1067: error: 'struct pcpu' has no member
named 'pc_virq_to_irq'
/usr/src/sys/xen/evtchn/evtchn.c:1069: error: 'struct pcpu' has no member
named 'pc_ipi_to_irq

Regards,
Wei

Re: Compiling error for amd64 on FreeBSD9.0 with XENHVM when include xen console driver.

Sean Bruno-5
On Tue, 2012-07-31 at 22:32 -0700, Wei Xu wrote:
> Hi All,
> I'm trying to compile new kernel with Xen Console driver on AMD 64
> platform, it's not included by default,
> I got compile error like this , I checked the code and i386 has the
> pc_ipi_to_irq but amd64 doesn't,
> look like it hasn't been experience with amd64, is there anyone know
> whether it can work? thanks.

Since there's no PV support for amd64 yet.  I don't think you need the
console driver.  QEMU will emulate the uart(4) device for you and
freebsd will use the device as its serial console.

>From the dom0, you would run "xm console <vm name>".  Is this what you
mean to do?

Sean

Re: Compiling error for amd64 on FreeBSD9.0 with XENHVM when include xen console driver.

Wei Xu
Sean,
Thanks for your comments.

Current I'm trying to investigate if I can porting the Console Driver to
Solaris.

I know the uart emulated by QEMU, but it's not my purpose to use it, I just
want to try the console driver with Hypervisor itself,  Must it bundle with
PV? Does XENHVM make sense too?

I am not familiar with how the console driver works by comparing to Qemu
serial,  so I'll be really appreciated if you can give some words about
that, thanks.

To verify it, I installed a new 32 bit i386 FreeBSD guest domain and
compiled the kernel with XEN support, that means already included the
console driver, but after I installed the new kernel, system can't boot up
after loaded the kernel, both the Xen and the Dom0 are 64 bit, so i guess
maybe it can't work for 64bit Hypervisor and Dom0, I wonder how can I
verify the console driver?

Regards,
Wei

On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 2:02 AM, Sean Bruno <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, 2012-07-31 at 22:32 -0700, Wei Xu wrote:
> > Hi All,
> > I'm trying to compile new kernel with Xen Console driver on AMD 64
> > platform, it's not included by default,
> > I got compile error like this , I checked the code and i386 has the
> > pc_ipi_to_irq but amd64 doesn't,
> > look like it hasn't been experience with amd64, is there anyone know
> > whether it can work? thanks.
> >

> Since there's no PV support for amd64 yet.  I don't think you need the
> console driver.  QEMU will emulate the uart(4) device for you and
> freebsd will use the device as its serial console.
>
> From the dom0, you would run "xm console <vm name>".  Is this what you
> mean to do?
>
> Sean

Re: Compiling error for amd64 on FreeBSD9.0 with XENHVM when include xen console driver.

Sean Bruno-5
I run a linux Dom0 (64bit RHEL 5) currently for testing purposes in the
freebsd cluster.

We have 32bit (PV) and 64bit (HVM) instances running there.

How are you installing FreeBSD on your Dom0?  Are you starting with HVM
support and the ISO image and then converting to PV support?

Sean

On Thu, 2012-08-02 at 02:36 -0700, Wei Xu wrote:

> Sean,
> Thanks for your comments.
>
> Current I'm trying to investigate if I can porting the Console Driver
> to Solaris.
>
> I know the uart emulated by QEMU, but it's not my purpose to use it, I
> just want to try the console driver with Hypervisor itself,  Must it
> bundle with PV? Does XENHVM make sense too?
>
> I am not familiar with how the console driver works by comparing to
> Qemu serial,  so I'll be really appreciated if you can give some words
> about that, thanks.
>
> To verify it, I installed a new 32 bit i386 FreeBSD guest domain and
> compiled the kernel with XEN support, that means already included the
> console driver, but after I installed the new kernel, system can't
> boot up after loaded the kernel, both the Xen and the Dom0 are 64 bit,
> so i guess maybe it can't work for 64bit Hypervisor and Dom0, I wonder
> how can I verify the console driver?
>
> Regards,
> Wei
>

> On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 2:02 AM, Sean Bruno <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>         On Tue, 2012-07-31 at 22:32 -0700, Wei Xu wrote:
>         > Hi All,
>         > I'm trying to compile new kernel with Xen Console driver on
>         AMD 64
>         > platform, it's not included by default,
>         > I got compile error like this , I checked the code and i386
>         has the
>         > pc_ipi_to_irq but amd64 doesn't,
>         > look like it hasn't been experience with amd64, is there
>         anyone know
>         > whether it can work? thanks.
>         >
>

>         Since there's no PV support for amd64 yet.  I don't think you
>         need the
>         console driver.  QEMU will emulate the uart(4) device for you
>         and
>         freebsd will use the device as its serial console.
>
>         >From the dom0, you would run "xm console <vm name>".  Is this
>         what you
>         mean to do?
>
>         Sean

Re: Compiling error for amd64 on FreeBSD9.0 with XENHVM when include xen console driver.

Wei Xu
My Dom0 is Oracle Linux(64bit too), Xen version is 4.0.2,  I installed
FreeBSD with the official iso image, that's
"FreeBSD-9.0-RELEASE-i386-dvd1.iso", I'm not sure if it was started as HVM
by default, how can i check it?

How to convert it to PV support, i just compiled and installed the src with
the "XEN" config in the source tree, I think that will include PV support,
since "XEN" is defined in the options, right?

On Thu, 2012-08-02 at 19:21 -0700, Wei Xu wrote:
> My Dom0 is Oracle Linux(64bit too), Xen version is 4.0.2,  I installed
> FreeBSD with the official iso image, that's
> "FreeBSD-9.0-RELEASE-i386-dvd1.iso", I'm not sure if it was started as
> HVM by default, how can i check it?

If the VM started up at all, it had to be running via full hardware
virtualization.  :-)

> How to convert it to PV support, i just compiled and installed the src
> with the "XEN" config in the source tree, I think that will include PV
> support, since "XEN" is defined in the options, right?

Correct.  You compile your i386 kernel with the XEN kernel config, then
you need to copy that kernel into your Dom0 and reconfigure the VM to be
PV and boot with no HVM options.  I'm not sure how to do that with the
tools that you have access to, but I did this by editing the xen domU
config file for the virtual machine.  Here's an example of my DomU
config for your reference.  Of course, this is a Xen 3 hypervisor, so
your changes might have to be different( xl create vs xm create).

#============================================================================
# Python configuration setup for 'xm create'.
# This script sets the parameters used when a domain is created using
'xm create'.
# You use a separate script for each domain you want to create, or
# you can set the parameters for the domain on the xm command line.
#============================================================================

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Kernel image file.
#kernel = "/usr/lib/xen/boot/hvmloader"
kernel = "/var/virt/freebsd-9.current-i386-domu-kernel"

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# device model to use: only qemu-dm available for now
#device_model = '/usr/lib64/xen/bin/qemu-dm'

#builder='hvm'

# Initial memory allocation (in megabytes) for the new domain.
memory = 2048

# number of CPUS
vcpus = 1

# A name for your domain. All domains must have different names.
name = "ref9-xen32"
arch = "i386"

#Network interface. By default emules a realtek 8139. For a NetBSD guest
you
# have to disable re(4) and let rtk attach to use it.
# ne2k_pci emulates a pci ne2000 clone; this his cpu-hungry in dom0
# pcnet emulates a AMD PCnet-PCI controller; but it corrupts packets
with
# pcn(4) under NetBSD.
#vif = [ 'mac=00:16:3e:00:00:03, bridge=xenbr0, type=ioemu' ]
vif = [ 'mac=00:16:3e:00:00:03, bridge=xenbr0, type=vbd' ]

# Define the disk devices you want the domain to have access to, and
# what you want them accessible as.
# Each disk entry is of the form phy:UNAME,DEV,MODE
# where UNAME is the device, DEV is the device name the domain will see,
# and MODE is r for read-only, w for read-write.
# For hvm domains you can only use hda to hdd. You can set extra types
# (e.g. cdrom)

disk = [
        'file:/var/virt/ref9-xen32.bin,hda,w',
        'file:/var/virt/ref9-xen32_scratch.bin,hdb,w'
        ]
# floppy images; this doesn't seem to work currently. Use a iso image
instead.
#fda = '/home/domains/boot1.fs'

extra = "vfs.root.mountfrom=ufs:/dev/ad0p2,kern.hz=100"

# boot device: a = floppy, c= hard drive, d= cdrom (with the disk entry
# before)
#
# boot CDROM image
#boot='d'
# boot from DISK file
#boot='c'
# boot from DHCP/PXE then DISK file
boot='nc'

# By default, 'xm create' will try to open an X window on the current
display
# for the virtal framebuffer. You can have the virtal framebuffer in vnc
# instead, and connect using a vnc client (using localhost:$vncdisplay)
# If vncunused is set to 1 (this is the default value), vncdisplay
# will be set to the first unused port; so it's recommended to
#vnc = 1
#vncdisplay = 3
#vncunused = 1
#vncpasswd=''

#Xen emulates a PS/2 mouse, but the pointer in the guest has
difficulties
# tracking the absolute position. Xen can emulate a USB tablet in
addition
# to the mouse which will report the absolute position of the pointer,
# and make the mouse much easier to use.
#
usb=1
usbdevice='tablet'
#usbdevice='mouse'

acpi = 1
serial='pty'
on_reboot='restart'

Re: Compiling error for amd64 on FreeBSD9.0 with XENHVM when include xen console driver.

Wei Xu
Sean,
Thanks,i'll try it.