Concerning our new Code of Conduct...

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Concerning our new Code of Conduct...

Big Lebowski
>
> Johannes Jost Meixner <johannes at meixner.dk> writes:
> > I - as a male - feel not only not tolerated, but also discriminated
> > against,
>
> There are approximately 400 active committers, and not even five of
> those are women.  How the *hell* can you claim to be discriminated
> against when you are part of a 99% majority?
>

So you are saying that one person can't complain against other person
actions/behaviour strictly because it is part of some majority? That's like
very sexist (given we're talking about being male/female here) and
discriminative (in general) thing since you're denying him the same rights
simply because he's a male.

I think that's realy bad thing.

> I shall immediately cease all public contributions to the FreeBSD
> > project, including but not limited to
>
> /r/theredpill is ---> thataway.  Don't let the door hit you on the way
> out.
>
> DES
> --
> Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no


I dont know what the other side of this conflict (namely Randi) brings to
the project, but a quick search shows me just a few commits against xmj's
few hundreds. I wasnt aware FreeBSD project is a 'feminist project' that
values keeping female contributors around despite their behavior over male
contributors doing actual work, exposing the same type of behaviour (to be
perfectly clear, xmj got into a 'fight' where he shouldnt, so I consider
the blame to be shared here).

Regards,
BL
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-advocacy
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Concerning our new Code of Conduct...

Alex de Kruijff-2

On 16-07-2015 13:14, Big Lebowski wrote:

>> Johannes Jost Meixner <johannes at meixner.dk> writes:
>>> I - as a male - feel not only not tolerated, but also discriminated
>>> against,
>> There are approximately 400 active committers, and not even five of
>> those are women.  How the *hell* can you claim to be discriminated
>> against when you are part of a 99% majority?
>>
> So you are saying that one person can't complain against other person
> actions/behaviour strictly because it is part of some majority? That's like
> very sexist (given we're talking about being male/female here) and
> discriminative (in general) thing since you're denying him the same rights
> simply because he's a male.
>
He has a point. The following quote is from the movie Philidephia: "This
is the essence of discrminiation formulating oppions on others not based
on there individual merrits, but rather on there membership of a group
with the same charakteristics."

Saying you feel discriminated agains implies that you are being juged on
your membership of a group.

Alex
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-advocacy
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Concerning our new Code of Conduct...

Edelwin Khaelos
In reply to this post by Big Lebowski
>> There are approximately 400 active committers, and not even five of
>> those are women.  How the *hell* can you claim to be discriminated
>> against when you are part of a 99% majority?
>>
>
> So you are saying that one person can't complain against other person
> actions/behaviour strictly because it is part of some majority? That's like
> very sexist (given we're talking about being male/female here) and
> discriminative (in general) thing since you're denying him the same rights
> simply because he's a male.
>
> I think that's realy bad thing.

Congratulations, you totally missed the point :)

You are saying that a person belonging to a *ruling* majority is being
discriminated against in their own ruling majority by a concept which
denounces a whiny and hypocrite behaviour (male tears: when a member of
this ruling majority tries ‑unsuccessfully‑ to impersonate an oppressed
minority when their ruling position is in jeopardy).

(good luck in you life, by the way, because this kind of behaviour only
works on the Internet… or at least that's what you thought ;)
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-advocacy
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Concerning our new Code of Conduct...

Chris Benesch
This is a tough thing to be in the middle of, but lets look at the
facts.  I moderated a forum for years, and it had no clearly defined
goal like this community, so it was nothing but people poking sticks at
each other and/or local government.

1 . Randi basically called Johannes a "whiny little prick".  Sorry I
couldnt see the attachments he provided but based on her responses, I
dont think I'm far off.

2 . Johannes says that she should stop because we have a code of conduct
that prohibits that.

Whoever is a majority or minority or whatever doesnt matter.  This is
about the good of our operating system that we know and love.  If people
want to fight, insult, date each other, or discuss the latest episode of
Friends, do it on the appropriate forum or through traditional email.  
I'm a nobody, I contributed to pstree ten years ago when AIX5L came
out.  All I am saying is dont feed the troll, and most of all, dont let
the immature actions of one individual sabotage valuable work to an
important cause.  There are a lot of personality types involved here,
and just because you dont like them as a friend isnt what this is all
about.  If you dont like them, dont talk to them, simple as that.  
Personal attacks have no place here.  And yes, Randi, those are personal
attacks, no matter how much you try to intellectualize them.

On 7/16/2015 6:52 AM, Edelwin Khaelos wrote:

>>> There are approximately 400 active committers, and not even five of
>>> those are women.  How the *hell* can you claim to be discriminated
>>> against when you are part of a 99% majority?
>>>
>>
>> So you are saying that one person can't complain against other person
>> actions/behaviour strictly because it is part of some majority?
>> That's like
>> very sexist (given we're talking about being male/female here) and
>> discriminative (in general) thing since you're denying him the same
>> rights
>> simply because he's a male.
>>
>> I think that's realy bad thing.
>
> Congratulations, you totally missed the point :)
>
> You are saying that a person belonging to a *ruling* majority is being
> discriminated against in their own ruling majority by a concept which
> denounces a whiny and hypocrite behaviour (male tears: when a member
> of this ruling majority tries ‑unsuccessfully‑ to impersonate an
> oppressed minority when their ruling position is in jeopardy).
>
> (good luck in you life, by the way, because this kind of behaviour
> only works on the Internet… or at least that's what you thought ;)
> _______________________________________________
> [hidden email] mailing list
> http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-advocacy
> To unsubscribe, send any mail to
> "[hidden email]"

_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-advocacy
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"