Confirm: About freebsd Registration

Tony Liu
Dear Manager,
(Please forward this to your CEO, because this is urgent. Thanks)
This is Tony Liu, Senior Manager of a Network Service Company which is the domain name registration center in Shanghai, China. On October 16th, 2017, we received an application from Runbang Holdings Ltd requested “freebsd” as their internet keyword and China (CN) domain names( freebsd.cn/ freebsd.com.cn/ freebsd.net.cn/ freebsd.org.cn).  But after checking it, we find this name conflict with your company name or trademark. In order to deal with this matter better, it’s necessary to send email to you and confirm whether this company is your distributor or business partner in China?
Best Regards
Tony Liu
Senior Manager

China Registrar Headquarters
www.chinaregistrar.org
8008, Tianan Building, No. 1399 Jinqiao Road,
Shanghai 200120, China
0086-21-6191-8696(Tel)
0086-1377-4400-340( Mobi)
0086-21-6191-8697(Fax)

Re: Confirm: About freebsd Registration

scratch65535
I've forwarded this to the FreeBSD Foundation at
[hidden email] for their action.

I would guess that Runbang Holdings should not be granted the
freebsd.*.cn domain names, since they probably have little or no
connection to the FreeBSD Foundation and its work.  I might be
wrong about that, of course, but the Foundation staff are the
ones to sort it out in any case.

[Default] On Thu, 19 Oct 2017 00:21:04 +0800, "Tony Liu"
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>Dear Manager,
>(Please forward this to your CEO, because this is urgent. Thanks)
>This is Tony Liu, Senior Manager of a Network Service Company which is the domain name registration center in Shanghai, China. On October 16th, 2017, we received an application from Runbang Holdings Ltd requested ??freebsd?? as their internet keyword and China (CN) domain names( freebsd.cn/ freebsd.com.cn/ freebsd.net.cn/ freebsd.org.cn).  But after checking it, we find this name conflict with your company name or trademark. In order to deal with this matter better, it??s necessary to send email to you and confirm whether this company is your distributor or business partner in China?
>Best Regards
>Tony Liu
>Senior Manager
>

>China Registrar Headquarters
>www.chinaregistrar.org
>8008, Tianan Building, No. 1399 Jinqiao Road,
>Shanghai 200120, China
>0086-21-6191-8696(Tel)
>0086-1377-4400-340( Mobi)
>0086-21-6191-8697(Fax)

Re: Confirm: About freebsd Registration

Jonathan Chen
On 19 October 2017 at 10:06,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I've forwarded this to the FreeBSD Foundation at
> [hidden email] for their action.
>
> I would guess that Runbang Holdings should not be granted the
> freebsd.*.cn domain names, since they probably have little or no
> connection to the FreeBSD Foundation and its work.  I might be
> wrong about that, of course, but the Foundation staff are the
> ones to sort it out in any case.

Actually, this sort of emails are a common form of marketing spam. My
employers have received and ignored quite a few of these.

Cheers.
--
Jonathan Chen <[hidden email]>

> [Default] On Thu, 19 Oct 2017 00:21:04 +0800, "Tony Liu"
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>Dear Manager,
>>(Please forward this to your CEO, because this is urgent. Thanks)
>>This is Tony Liu, Senior Manager of a Network Service Company which is the domain name registration center in Shanghai, China. On October 16th, 2017, we received an application from Runbang Holdings Ltd requested ??freebsd?? as their internet keyword and China (CN) domain names( freebsd.cn/ freebsd.com.cn/ freebsd.net.cn/ freebsd.org.cn).  But after checking it, we find this name conflict with your company name or trademark. In order to deal with this matter better, it??s necessary to send email to you and confirm whether this company is your distributor or business partner in China?
>>Best Regards
>>Tony Liu
>>Senior Manager
>>

>>China Registrar Headquarters
>>www.chinaregistrar.org
>>8008, Tianan Building, No. 1399 Jinqiao Road,
>>Shanghai 200120, China
>>0086-21-6191-8696(Tel)
>>0086-1377-4400-340( Mobi)
>>0086-21-6191-8697(Fax)

Re: Confirm: About freebsd Registration

Diane Bruce

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/it-security/the-chinese-domain-scam/

> I would guess that Runbang Holdings should not be granted the
> freebsd.*.cn domain names, since they probably have little or no
> connection to the FreeBSD Foundation and its work.  I might be
> wrong about that, of course, but the Foundation staff are the
> ones to sort it out in any case.
>

> [Default] On Thu, 19 Oct 2017 00:21:04 +0800, "Tony Liu"
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> >Dear Manager,
> >(Please forward this to your CEO, because this is urgent. Thanks)
> >This is Tony Liu, Senior Manager of a Network Service Company which is the domain name registration center in Shanghai, China. On October 16th, 2017, we received an application from Runbang Holdings Ltd requested ??freebsd?? as their internet keyword and China (CN) domain names( freebsd.cn/ freebsd.com.cn/ freebsd.net.cn/ freebsd.org.cn).  But after checking it, we find this name conflict with your company name or trademark. In order to deal with this matter better, it??s necessary to send email to you and confirm whether this company is your distributor or business partner in China?
> >Best Regards
> >Tony Liu
> >Senior Manager
> >

> >China Registrar Headquarters
> >www.chinaregistrar.org
> >8008, Tianan Building, No. 1399 Jinqiao Road,
> >Shanghai 200120, China
> >0086-21-6191-8696(Tel)
> >0086-1377-4400-340( Mobi)
> >0086-21-6191-8697(Fax)

Re: Confirm: About freebsd Registration

Lee Brown
On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 2:40 PM, Jonathan Chen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 19 October 2017 at 10:06,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I've forwarded this to the FreeBSD Foundation at
> > [hidden email] for their action.
> >
> > I would guess that Runbang Holdings should not be granted the
> > freebsd.*.cn domain names, since they probably have little or no
> > connection to the FreeBSD Foundation and its work.  I might be
> > wrong about that, of course, but the Foundation staff are the
> > ones to sort it out in any case.
>
> Actually, this sort of emails are a common form of marketing spam. My
> employers have received and ignored quite a few of these.
>
> Cheers.
> --
> Jonathan Chen <[hidden email]>

Same here.  They are not even on the list of accredited registrars
<http://cnnic.com.cn/syjszc1/List/201210/t20121011_36680.htm>, they are
just expensive brokers.

Re: Confirm: About freebsd Registration

Michael Butler
On 10/18/17 17:40, Jonathan Chen wrote:

> On 19 October 2017 at 10:06,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I've forwarded this to the FreeBSD Foundation at
>> [hidden email] for their action.
>>
>> I would guess that Runbang Holdings should not be granted the
>> freebsd.*.cn domain names, since they probably have little or no
>> connection to the FreeBSD Foundation and its work.  I might be
>> wrong about that, of course, but the Foundation staff are the
>> ones to sort it out in any case.
>
> Actually, this sort of emails are a common form of marketing spam. My
> employers have received and ignored quite a few of these.

And I reported it (automagically) as spam through my account @spamcop
(i.e. cisco) as I do with any spurious rubbish received via a
mailing-list or not,

        imb

Re: Confirm: About freebsd Registration

scratch65535
Ta, Jon.  Oh well, we live and, if we're lucky, we learn.  It
looked innocuous enough.

Between their shoddy manufacturing and their duplicitous
marketing, it won't surprise me if the eager Capitalist liars in
the mis-named PRC eventually make "Chinese businessman" the
trustworthless equivalent of "Nigerian scammer".

[Default] On Thu, 19 Oct 2017 10:40:20 +1300, Jonathan Chen