Consistent 6.0-STABLE Hang

Cy Schubert-3
Running the Citrix ICA wfcmgr (from ports) to change settings, e.g.
password, for connection to a Windows terminal server hangs FreeBSD 6.0 (as
of Nov 4) quite consistently. I've tried this on one of my 6.0 systems at
home and a 6.0 system here at work. I suspect it may have something to do
with Linux emulation however until I dig into this more I won't know for
sure.

The only way to "unhang" the system is to press the reset switch.

Cheers,
Cy Schubert <[hidden email]>
Web:  http://www.komquats.com and http://www.bcbodybuilder.com
FreeBSD UNIX:  <[hidden email]>   Web:  http://www.FreeBSD.org
BC Government:  <[hidden email]>

    "Lift long enough and I believe arrogance is replaced by
    humility and fear by courage and selfishness by generosity
    and rudeness by compassion and caring."
        -- Dave Draper

Re: Consistent 6.0-STABLE Hang

Robert N. M. Watson-2

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005, Cy Schubert wrote:

> Running the Citrix ICA wfcmgr (from ports) to change settings, e.g.
> password, for connection to a Windows terminal server hangs FreeBSD 6.0
> (as of Nov 4) quite consistently. I've tried this on one of my 6.0
> systems at home and a 6.0 system here at work. I suspect it may have
> something to do with Linux emulation however until I dig into this more
> I won't know for sure.
>
> The only way to "unhang" the system is to press the reset switch.

Any luck getting into a debugger using a console or serial break?

Robert N M Watson

Citrix ICA wfcmgr hang on RELENG_6 (was: Consistent 6.0-STABLE Hang).

Julien Gabel
>> Running the Citrix ICA wfcmgr (from ports) to change settings, e.g.
>> password, for connection to a Windows terminal server hangs FreeBSD 6.0
>> (as of Nov 4) quite consistently. I've tried this on one of my 6.0
>> systems at home and a 6.0 system here at work. I suspect it may have
>> something to do with Linux emulation however until I dig into this more
>> I won't know for sure.
>>
>> The only way to "unhang" the system is to press the reset switch.

This problem has already been reported on ports@.  Regrettably, no good
news was heard from this list since then.  Using wfcica directly is ok
though.

> Any luck getting into a debugger using a console or serial break?

Not so far, but i will give this an other try from the beginning of the
next week and let you know if i can get something interesting.

--
-jpeg.

Re: Citrix ICA wfcmgr hang on RELENG_6 (was: Consistent 6.0-STABLE Hang).

Robert N. M. Watson-2
On Sat, 12 Nov 2005, Julien Gabel wrote:

>>> Running the Citrix ICA wfcmgr (from ports) to change settings, e.g.
>>> password, for connection to a Windows terminal server hangs FreeBSD
>>> 6.0 (as of Nov 4) quite consistently. I've tried this on one of my 6.0
>>> systems at home and a 6.0 system here at work. I suspect it may have
>>> something to do with Linux emulation however until I dig into this
>>> more I won't know for sure.
>>>
>>> The only way to "unhang" the system is to press the reset switch.
>
> This problem has already been reported on ports@.  Regrettably, no good
> news was heard from this list since then.  Using wfcica directly is ok
> though.
>
>> Any luck getting into a debugger using a console or serial break?
>
> Not so far, but i will give this an other try from the beginning of the
> next week and let you know if i can get something interesting.

If BREAK_TO_DEBUGGER doesn't work on the video/keyboard console, try the
serial console, which can be more reliable.

Robert N M Watson

Re: Consistent 6.0-STABLE Hang

Doug White-2
On Thu, 10 Nov 2005, Cy Schubert wrote:

> Running the Citrix ICA wfcmgr (from ports) to change settings, e.g.
> password, for connection to a Windows terminal server hangs FreeBSD 6.0 (as
> of Nov 4) quite consistently. I've tried this on one of my 6.0 systems at
> home and a 6.0 system here at work. I suspect it may have something to do
> with Linux emulation however until I dig into this more I won't know for
> sure.
>
> The only way to "unhang" the system is to press the reset switch.

For fun, try updating to RELENG_6. I committed a fix recently for a hang
thats caused by doing 'ls /dev' in the linuxulator.

--
Doug White                    |  FreeBSD: The Power to Serve
[hidden email]          |  www.FreeBSD.org

Re: Consistent 6.0-STABLE Hang.

Julien Gabel
>> Running the Citrix ICA wfcmgr (from ports) to change settings, e.g.
>> password, for connection to a Windows terminal server hangs FreeBSD 6.0
>> (as of Nov 4) quite consistently. I've tried this on one of my 6.0
>> systems at home and a 6.0 system here at work. I suspect it may have
>> something to do with Linux emulation however until I dig into this more
>> I won't know for sure.
>>
>> The only way to "unhang" the system is to press the reset switch.

> For fun, try updating to RELENG_6. I committed a fix recently for a hang
> thats caused by doing 'ls /dev' in the linuxulator.

I think you got it.  After rebooting under a fresh 6.0-STABLE (build on
Mon Nov 14 05:39:01 CET 2005), the problem didn't appear again...  no more
need for a serial console on this machine, i think :)

Many thanks!
--
-jpeg.

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005, Julien Gabel wrote:

>>> Running the Citrix ICA wfcmgr (from ports) to change settings, e.g.
>>> password, for connection to a Windows terminal server hangs FreeBSD 6.0
>>> (as of Nov 4) quite consistently. I've tried this on one of my 6.0
>>> systems at home and a 6.0 system here at work. I suspect it may have
>>> something to do with Linux emulation however until I dig into this more
>>> I won't know for sure.
>>>
>>> The only way to "unhang" the system is to press the reset switch.
>
>> For fun, try updating to RELENG_6. I committed a fix recently for a
>> hang thats caused by doing 'ls /dev' in the linuxulator.
>
> I think you got it.  After rebooting under a fresh 6.0-STABLE (build on
> Mon Nov 14 05:39:01 CET 2005), the problem didn't appear again...  no
> more need for a serial console on this machine, i think :)

Sounds like a good MFC candidate, assuming it can be MFC'd
non-disruptively.

Robert N M Watson

In message <[hidden email]>, Robert Watson writes:

> >> For fun, try updating to RELENG_6. I committed a fix recently for a
> >> hang thats caused by doing 'ls /dev' in the linuxulator.
> >
> > I think you got it.  After rebooting under a fresh 6.0-STABLE (build on
> > Mon Nov 14 05:39:01 CET 2005), the problem didn't appear again...  no
> > more need for a serial console on this machine, i think :)
>
> Sounds like a good MFC candidate, assuming it can be MFC'd
> non-disruptively.

Indeed, it solved my problem.

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005, Robert Watson wrote:

> > I think you got it.  After rebooting under a fresh 6.0-STABLE (build on
> > Mon Nov 14 05:39:01 CET 2005), the problem didn't appear again...  no
> > more need for a serial console on this machine, i think :)
>
> Sounds like a good MFC candidate, assuming it can be MFC'd
> non-disruptively.

It's been MFC'd to RELENG_6 already, but I need to poll re@ on whether
this merits an errata for 6.0-R.