Default parameters for NanoBSD

Fabien Costard
Hello everyone,

This is a question about the default values used for the nanobsd.
In the current default configuration (defaults.sh), the media size is
set to 2000000 (NANO_MEDIASIZE=2000000).
This size (1GB) does not allow to make an image when you follow the
documentation online.

I know that the purpose of the nanobsd is to make "light" FreeBSD system
but would it be better to change the default media size when someone
(like me) try to use and understand it step by step ?

I found the media size have to be 9600000 (around 4.8GB) (to work with 2
images)

What do you think about it ?

Regards,
Fabien

Re: Default parameters for NanoBSD

Warner Losh
On Tue, Sep 10, 2019 at 3:28 AM Fabien Costard <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> This is a question about the default values used for the nanobsd.
> In the current default configuration (defaults.sh), the media size is
> set to 2000000 (NANO_MEDIASIZE=2000000).
> This size (1GB) does not allow to make an image when you follow the
> documentation online.
>
> I know that the purpose of the nanobsd is to make "light" FreeBSD system
> but would it be better to change the default media size when someone
> (like me) try to use and understand it step by step ?
>
> I found the media size have to be 9600000 (around 4.8GB) (to work with 2
> images)
>
> What do you think about it ?

I built an image yesterday, and 1GB was still large enough. What arch were
you doing? What other things went onto the package? FreeBSD itself, without
compilers, should clock in around 300MB.

I have no problem bumping the size. Today it's hard to buy something
smaller than 16GB (though there's a lot of lots of 4GB and 8GB on amazon,
the sweet spot for price has moved to 32GB). It's likely time. I like to
keep it small because the images are copied around and that takes up space.

Warner

Re: Default parameters for NanoBSD

Karl Denninger
On 9/10/2019 08:53, Warner Losh wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 10, 2019 at 3:28 AM Fabien Costard <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> This is a question about the default values used for the nanobsd.
>> In the current default configuration (defaults.sh), the media size is
>> set to 2000000 (NANO_MEDIASIZE=2000000).
>> This size (1GB) does not allow to make an image when you follow the
>> documentation online.
>>
>> I know that the purpose of the nanobsd is to make "light" FreeBSD system
>> but would it be better to change the default media size when someone
>> (like me) try to use and understand it step by step ?
>>
>> I found the media size have to be 9600000 (around 4.8GB) (to work with 2
>> images)
>>
>> What do you think about it ?
>>
> I built an image yesterday, and 1GB was still large enough. What arch were
> you doing? What other things went onto the package? FreeBSD itself, without
> compilers, should clock in around 300MB.
>
> I have no problem bumping the size. Today it's hard to buy something
> smaller than 16GB (though there's a lot of lots of 4GB and 8GB on amazon,
> the sweet spot for price has moved to 32GB). It's likely time. I like to
> keep it small because the images are copied around and that takes up space.
>
> Warner
"xz" is excellent at turning a "sparse" NanoBSD file into something
more-representative of the actual bits on the disk as opposed to the
allocated size....

--
Karl Denninger
[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

smime.p7s (6K) Download Attachment

On Tue, Sep 10, 2019, 7:59 AM Karl Denninger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 9/10/2019 08:53, Warner Losh wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 10, 2019 at 3:28 AM Fabien Costard <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Hello everyone,
> >>
> >> This is a question about the default values used for the nanobsd.
> >> In the current default configuration (defaults.sh), the media size is
> >> set to 2000000 (NANO_MEDIASIZE=2000000).
> >> This size (1GB) does not allow to make an image when you follow the
> >> documentation online.
> >>
> >> I know that the purpose of the nanobsd is to make "light" FreeBSD system
> >> but would it be better to change the default media size when someone
> >> (like me) try to use and understand it step by step ?
> >>
> >> I found the media size have to be 9600000 (around 4.8GB) (to work with 2
> >> images)
> >>
> >> What do you think about it ?
> >>
> > I built an image yesterday, and 1GB was still large enough. What arch
> were
> > you doing? What other things went onto the package? FreeBSD itself,
> without
> > compilers, should clock in around 300MB.
> >
> > I have no problem bumping the size. Today it's hard to buy something
> > smaller than 16GB (though there's a lot of lots of 4GB and 8GB on amazon,
> > the sweet spot for price has moved to 32GB). It's likely time. I like to
> > keep it small because the images are copied around and that takes up
> space.
> >
> > Warner
>
> "xz" is excellent at turning a "sparse" NanoBSD file into something
> more-representative of the actual bits on the disk as opposed to the
> allocated size....

Dd that copies the partition still takes more time...

Warner

Le 10/09/2019 à 15:53, Warner Losh a écrit :

> On Tue, Sep 10, 2019 at 3:28 AM Fabien Costard <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hello everyone,
>
>     This is a question about the default values used for the nanobsd.
>     In the current default configuration (defaults.sh), the media size is
>     set to 2000000 (NANO_MEDIASIZE=2000000).
>     This size (1GB) does not allow to make an image when you follow the
>     documentation online.
>
>     I know that the purpose of the nanobsd is to make "light" FreeBSD
>     system
>     but would it be better to change the default media size when someone
>     (like me) try to use and understand it step by step ?
>
>     I found the media size have to be 9600000 (around 4.8GB) (to work
>     with 2
>     images)
>
>     What do you think about it ?
>

> I built an image yesterday, and 1GB was still large enough. What arch
> were you doing? What other things went onto the package? FreeBSD
> itself, without compilers, should clock in around 300MB.
>
> I have no problem bumping the size. Today it's hard to buy something
> smaller than 16GB (though there's a lot of lots of 4GB and 8GB on
> amazon, the sweet spot for price has moved to 32GB). It's likely time.
> I like to keep it small because the images are copied around and that
> takes up space.
>
> Warner

What I just mean is if you just use the nanobsd.sh script without
touching anything it fails with the message:
"/usr/obj/nanobsd.full/_.mnt: write failed, filesystem is full".

But I totally agree about the size and my next step is to work on that
optimization :-)

Fabien