Dell R630 unable to detect USB, can't boot

Dell R630 unable to detect USB, can't boot

Lee Brown
Booting FreeBSD11.1-RELENG from a USB stick, loader works fine keyboard
allows selection, kernel loads and starts OK, gets as far as detecting USB
devices and stops there.  imgur <https://imgur.com/a/psn0H> for a
screenshot.  Tried safe mode same occurrence.

CDROM is via a USB, so that's a no go and I've not had luck booting UEFI
iSCSI nor PXE yet, so I'm stuck without a keyboard (no PS/2 connectors) or
essentially any boot media.

For reference Xen 7.2 is running fine so at first blush it's not faulty
hardware.
USB3 mode on and off (ie force USB2) in the BIOS makes no difference.
All Firmwares current.

Any suggestions on how to move forward with this?  I tried turning on
verbose mode, but I'm not sure how to capture that nor where to look.

Thx -- lee

Re: Dell R630 unable to detect USB, can't boot

Hans Petter Selasky-6
On 02/04/18 23:47, Lee Brown wrote:

> Booting FreeBSD11.1-RELENG from a USB stick, loader works fine keyboard
> allows selection, kernel loads and starts OK, gets as far as detecting USB
> devices and stops there.  imgur <https://imgur.com/a/psn0H> for a
> screenshot.  Tried safe mode same occurrence.
>
> CDROM is via a USB, so that's a no go and I've not had luck booting UEFI
> iSCSI nor PXE yet, so I'm stuck without a keyboard (no PS/2 connectors) or
> essentially any boot media.
>
> For reference Xen 7.2 is running fine so at first blush it's not faulty
> hardware.
> USB3 mode on and off (ie force USB2) in the BIOS makes no difference.
> All Firmwares current.
>
> Any suggestions on how to move forward with this?  I tried turning on
> verbose mode, but I'm not sure how to capture that nor where to look.

Hi,

USB_ERR_TIMEOUT might be an indication of a PCI IRQ issue.

--HPS

Re: Dell R630 unable to detect USB, can't boot

Lee Brown
On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 6:00 AM, Hans Petter Selasky <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On 02/13/18 14:45, Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
>
>> On 02/04/18 23:47, Lee Brown wrote:
>>
>>> Booting FreeBSD11.1-RELENG from a USB stick, loader works fine keyboard
>>> allows selection, kernel loads and starts OK, gets as far as detecting
>>> USB
>>> devices and stops there.  imgur <https://imgur.com/a/psn0H> for a
>>> screenshot.  Tried safe mode same occurrence.
>>>
>>> CDROM is via a USB, so that's a no go and I've not had luck booting UEFI
>>> iSCSI nor PXE yet, so I'm stuck without a keyboard (no PS/2 connectors)
>>> or
>>> essentially any boot media.
>>>
>>> For reference Xen 7.2 is running fine so at first blush it's not faulty
>>> hardware.
>>> USB3 mode on and off (ie force USB2) in the BIOS makes no difference.
>>> All Firmwares current.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions on how to move forward with this?  I tried turning on
>>> verbose mode, but I'm not sure how to capture that nor where to look.
>>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> USB_ERR_TIMEOUT might be an indication of a PCI IRQ issue.
>>

> Try to set:
>
> hw.usb.xhci.use_polling=1
>
> from the loader as a temporary quirk. Then try to dump information about
> IRQ's like "vmstat -i" "dmesg" and so on.
>
> --HPS
>
> Thanks Hans, but unfortunately that made no difference.  Here's my full
loader.conf

vfs.mountroot.timeout="10"
boot_multicons="YES"
boot_serial="YES"
comconsole_speed="115200"
console="comconsole,efi"
kern.cam.boot_delay="10000"
hw.usb.xhci.use_polling=1

On 02/13/18 19:52, Lee Brown wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 6:00 AM, Hans Petter Selasky <[hidden email]>
> wrote:

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> USB_ERR_TIMEOUT might be an indication of a PCI IRQ issue.
>>>

>> Try to set:
>>
>> hw.usb.xhci.use_polling=1
>>
>> from the loader as a temporary quirk. Then try to dump information about
>> IRQ's like "vmstat -i" "dmesg" and so on.
>>
>> --HPS
>>
>> Thanks Hans, but unfortunately that made no difference.  Here's my full
> loader.conf
>
> vfs.mountroot.timeout="10"
> boot_multicons="YES"
> boot_serial="YES"
> comconsole_speed="115200"
> console="comconsole,efi"
> kern.cam.boot_delay="10000"
> hw.usb.xhci.use_polling=1

Did you enable USB 3.0 in the BIOS when trying this?

--HPS

Re: Dell R630 unable to detect USB, can't boot

Lee Brown
On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 12:56 PM, Hans Petter Selasky <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On 02/13/18 19:52, Lee Brown wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 6:00 AM, Hans Petter Selasky <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:

>>> hw.usb.xhci.use_polling=1
>>>
>>> from the loader as a temporary quirk. Then try to dump information about
>>> IRQ's like "vmstat -i" "dmesg" and so on.
>>>
>>> --HPS
>>>
>>> Thanks Hans, but unfortunately that made no difference.  Here's my full
>>>
>> loader.conf
>>
>> vfs.mountroot.timeout="10"
>> boot_multicons="YES"
>> boot_serial="YES"
>> comconsole_speed="115200"
>> console="comconsole,efi"
>> kern.cam.boot_delay="10000"
>> hw.usb.xhci.use_polling=1
>>

> Did you enable USB 3.0 in the BIOS when trying this?
>
> --HPS
>
> It was configured with USB3.0 OFF
I just toggled it ON, same result.

I verified the sysctl polling value from the loader before booting

On 02/13/18 23:00, Lee Brown wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 12:56 PM, Hans Petter Selasky <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> On 02/13/18 19:52, Lee Brown wrote:
>>
>>> On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 6:00 AM, Hans Petter Selasky <[hidden email]>
>>> wrote:

>>> loader.conf
>>>
>>> vfs.mountroot.timeout="10"
>>> boot_multicons="YES"
>>> boot_serial="YES"
>>> comconsole_speed="115200"
>>> console="comconsole,efi"
>>> kern.cam.boot_delay="10000"
>>> hw.usb.xhci.use_polling=1
>>>

>> Did you enable USB 3.0 in the BIOS when trying this?
>>
>> --HPS
>>
>> It was configured with USB3.0 OFF
> I just toggled it ON, same result.
>
> I verified the sysctl polling value from the loader before booting

Hi,

I suggest you bring this issue up with Dell customer support.

Further, maybe Linux XHCI / EHCI has a quirk for Dell R630.

Alternativly you can try to debug the XHCI/EHCI debug prints on your
own. If you get a timeout it means something is not communicating like
expected in the XHCI/EHCI DMA descriptors.

--HPS

Re: Dell R630 unable to detect USB, can't boot

Lee Brown

On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 4:33 AM, Hans Petter Selasky <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On 02/13/18 23:00, Lee Brown wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 12:56 PM, Hans Petter Selasky <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> On 02/13/18 19:52, Lee Brown wrote:
>>>
>>> On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 6:00 AM, Hans Petter Selasky <[hidden email]>

>>> Did you enable USB 3.0 in the BIOS when trying this?
>>>
>>> --HPS
>>>
>>> It was configured with USB3.0 OFF
>>>
>> I just toggled it ON, same result.
>>
>> I verified the sysctl polling value from the loader before booting
>>

> Hi,
>
> I suggest you bring this issue up with Dell customer support.
>
> Further, maybe Linux XHCI / EHCI has a quirk for Dell R630.
>
> Alternativly you can try to debug the XHCI/EHCI debug prints on your own.
> If you get a timeout it means something is not communicating like expected
> in the XHCI/EHCI DMA descriptors.
>

> As I only have the hardware replacement level of support and FreeBSD isn't
on their list of certified OS's, I'm probably best spending my time
debugging this issue.

I do find it curious that the loader is able to work the USB hardware but
not the kernel.

Once I figure out how to capture the kernel output, I'll crank up the
debugging and post back here.

On 02/15/18 06:24, Lee Brown wrote:
> I do find it curious that the loader is able to work the USB hardware but
> not the kernel.

The loader is using the BIOS's USB code. Usually there is a handover
from BIOS to OS, maybe that's where it's broken.

--HPS

Re: Dell R630 unable to detect USB, can't boot

Lee Brown
On Thu, Feb 15, 2018 at 12:10 AM, Hans Petter Selasky <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On 02/15/18 06:24, Lee Brown wrote:
>
>> I do find it curious that the loader is able to work the USB hardware but
>> not the kernel.
>>

> The loader is using the BIOS's USB code. Usually there is a handover from
> BIOS to OS, maybe that's where it's broken.

Got a little more information from watching slow video:

pcib1: <ACPI Host-PCI bridge> on apci0
pcib1: _OSC returned error 0x10

I think that may be AE_LIMIT, but I can't be sure.

Do you know if ACPI could be the root cause, I do see the ehci device
created later on, so it does 'see' the USB bus, but maybe that above error
prevents it from finding the hub?  I don't know I'm wildly speculating here.

Maybe I should address the above first, then circle around to this.