Deutsche Telekom termination of T-ISDN Mehrgeraeteanschluss Standard

Deutsche Telekom termination of T-ISDN Mehrgeraeteanschluss Standard

Julian H. Stacey-3
Hi ISDN users,
1st half mail concerns only some people in Germany,
        2010 11 19, I received a letter from Deutsche Telekom, that
        they plan to terminate my ISDN early in the new year, &
        encouraging me to sign up for eg: double flat rate + 6 M bit/s DSL.

        Scanned excerpt :  http://berklix.com/~jhs/txt/isdn/

        I already also have DSL (1 Mbit/s) obviously time to upgrade that.

        Telekom don't say if they're scrapping all national ISDN service,
        or just in my city centre area, or just some ISDN service.

        I'll phone up D.Telekom & try to find out what's going
        on also beyond my locality.

        I havent used isdn on FreeBSD for many years to move data
        (I use DSL for that), But I daily use ISDN to both:
                - Support my Istec-1008 ISDN Local_Call_Office =
                   Private_Branch_Exchange = TK_Anlage,
  - Display name (not number) of all callers presented
                  on an xterm to me.  I'd hate to lose that.

        I'm in a city, so DSL cable length no problem, but if D.T.
        were proposing to drop ISDN ? what happens to other people
        way out in the country where DSL repeaters cant reach ?

Independent of reader country::
        ISDN for BSD was developed largely in Germany, If ISDN
        supplier D.T. were to remove ISDN service some places, it
        might affect developers ?  ( I'm still running ISDN on
        FreeBSD-6 as latest patches on 9-current I've not tried
        yet, sorry).

        The other way to retain a named text caller ID from incoming
        number, is for me to reconnect serial cable (still a use
        for serial :-) to my Istec-1008 ( /usr/ports/misc/estic )
        then like I did maybe a decade back with isdnd, hack estic
        to look up name from numbers.

        But that Istec-1008 also needs ISDN, & very few if any other
        PBX have ever had their serial protocol cracked, & a package
        written like Istec hardware & Estic software.
        If anyyone knows of other LCO / PBX / TK public source
        packages I'd be interested.

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultants Munich http://berklix.com
        Mail plain text;  Not quoted-printable, or HTML or base 64.

Re: Deutsche Telekom termination of T-ISDN Mehrgeraeteanschluss Standard

Cologne Chip AG
Dear Julian,

it is a misinterpretation of the letter that you have received, that
Deutsche Telekom (DT) intends to terminate the ISDN service.

But DT has decided to drop some old tariffs. Nowaydays DT promotes
flat-rate tariffs for voice, e.g. in combination with xDSL for data
access. Your tariff seems to to be such an old one for time-based billing.

Of course you can stay with your existing ISDN subscriber line for
telephony and narrow-band data communications. Only the billing method
will be changed - not the access technology itself.

For addition information please refer to the announcement of this step
of DT (in April last year):
http://www.teltarif.de/telekom-isdn-komfort-kuendigung/news/34001.html
(in German language only)

Best regards,

Harald Schaefer

Julian H. Stacey wrote:

> Hi ISDN users,
> 1st half mail concerns only some people in Germany,
> 2010 11 19, I received a letter from Deutsche Telekom, that
> they plan to terminate my ISDN early in the new year, &
> encouraging me to sign up for eg: double flat rate + 6 M bit/s DSL.
>
> Scanned excerpt :  http://berklix.com/~jhs/txt/isdn/
>
> I already also have DSL (1 Mbit/s) obviously time to upgrade that.
>
> Telekom don't say if they're scrapping all national ISDN service,
> or just in my city centre area, or just some ISDN service.
>
> I'll phone up D.Telekom & try to find out what's going
> on also beyond my locality.
>
> I havent used isdn on FreeBSD for many years to move data
> (I use DSL for that), But I daily use ISDN to both:
> - Support my Istec-1008 ISDN Local_Call_Office =
>   Private_Branch_Exchange = TK_Anlage,
>   - Display name (not number) of all callers presented
>  on an xterm to me.  I'd hate to lose that.
>
> I'm in a city, so DSL cable length no problem, but if D.T.
> were proposing to drop ISDN ? what happens to other people
> way out in the country where DSL repeaters cant reach ?
>
> Independent of reader country::
> ISDN for BSD was developed largely in Germany, If ISDN
> supplier D.T. were to remove ISDN service some places, it
> might affect developers ?  ( I'm still running ISDN on
> FreeBSD-6 as latest patches on 9-current I've not tried
> yet, sorry).
>
> The other way to retain a named text caller ID from incoming
> number, is for me to reconnect serial cable (still a use
> for serial :-) to my Istec-1008 ( /usr/ports/misc/estic )
> then like I did maybe a decade back with isdnd, hack estic
> to look up name from numbers.
>
> But that Istec-1008 also needs ISDN, & very few if any other
> PBX have ever had their serial protocol cracked, & a package
> written like Istec hardware & Estic software.
> If anyyone knows of other LCO / PBX / TK public source
> packages I'd be interested.
>
> Cheers,
> Julian
> --
> Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultants Munich http://berklix.com
> Mail plain text;  Not quoted-printable, or HTML or base 64.
> Avoid top posting, it cripples itemised cumulative responses.

--

<--------------------------------------------------------------->
< Cologne Chip AG             +  The ISDN Chip Company!         >

Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates: Hermann-Josef Kirschbaum
Vertretungsberechtigter Vorstand: Dr. Michael Gude (Vorsitz),
Joerg Ciesielski, Harald Schaefer, Klaus Winterscheidt
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Koeln, HRB 33457

Re: Deutsche Telekom termination of T-ISDN Mehrgeraeteanschluss Standard

Julian H. Stacey-3
> For addition information please refer to the announcement of this step
> of DT (in April last year):
> http://www.teltarif.de/telekom-isdn-komfort-kuendigung/news/34001.html
> (in German language only)
>
> Best regards,
>
> Harald Schaefer

Thanks Harald, will do.

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey: BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultants Munich http://berklix.com
        Mail plain text;  Not quoted-printable, or HTML or base 64.
        Avoid top posting, it cripples itemised cumulative responses.

Re: Deutsche Telekom termination of T-ISDN Mehrgeraeteanschluss Standard

Jan-Hinrich Fessel

Am 25.11.2010 um 12:08 schrieb Cologne Chip AG:

> Dear Julian,
>
> it is a misinterpretation of the letter that you have received, that Deutsche Telekom (DT) intends to terminate the ISDN service.

This is correct.  DT is not going to drop ISDN in the near future.  But, depending on your area, you may sooner or later get voice substituted by VOIP technology.  This may not affect your ISDN b channels, but you will not be able to use the d channel for anything else than call setup and termination.  Especially, if you are currently using X.31 over the d channel, this will cease to work.

If you go for call&surf, make sure you get it with ISDN, not the cheaper ones with VOIP or POTS.

Cheers
        Oskar

Re: Deutsche Telekom termination of T-ISDN Mehrgeraeteanschluss Standard

Ignatios Souvatzis-3
Hi,

On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 09:07:03PM +0100, Jan-Hinrich Fessel wrote:

> Am 25.11.2010 um 12:08 schrieb Cologne Chip AG:
>
> > Dear Julian,
> >
> > it is a misinterpretation of the letter that you have received,
> > that Deutsche Telekom (DT) intends to terminate the ISDN service.
>
> This is correct.  DT is not going to drop ISDN in the near future.
> But, depending on your area, you may sooner or later get voice
> substituted by VOIP technology.  This may not affect your ISDN b
> channels, but you will not be able to use the d channel for anything
> else than call setup and termination.  Especially, if you are
> currently using X.31 over the d channel, this will cease to work.
>
> If you go for call&surf, make sure you get it with ISDN, not the
> cheaper ones with VOIP or POTS.

I worry more about the access to other IP over DSL providers via
DT's DSL concentrator network. The "Leistungsbeschreibung Call &
Surf Basic (4.1)/Universal." only mentions IPv4 access, nothing
else.

        -is

Re: Deutsche Telekom termination of T-ISDN Mehrgeraeteanschluss Standard

Gary Jennejohn-5
On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 16:37:19 +0100
Ignatios Souvatzis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 09:07:03PM +0100, Jan-Hinrich Fessel wrote:
> >
> > Am 25.11.2010 um 12:08 schrieb Cologne Chip AG:
> >
> > > Dear Julian,
> > >
> > > it is a misinterpretation of the letter that you have received,
> > > that Deutsche Telekom (DT) intends to terminate the ISDN service.
> >
> > This is correct.  DT is not going to drop ISDN in the near future.
> > But, depending on your area, you may sooner or later get voice
> > substituted by VOIP technology.  This may not affect your ISDN b
> > channels, but you will not be able to use the d channel for anything
> > else than call setup and termination.  Especially, if you are
> > currently using X.31 over the d channel, this will cease to work.
> >
> > If you go for call&surf, make sure you get it with ISDN, not the
> > cheaper ones with VOIP or POTS.
>
> I worry more about the access to other IP over DSL providers via
> DT's DSL concentrator network. The "Leistungsbeschreibung Call &
> Surf Basic (4.1)/Universal." only mentions IPv4 access, nothing
> else.

I doubt that the regulatory agency would allow DT to stop access to their
DSLAMs for other providers.  I also doubt that DT would get away with
blocking IPv6 running over their networks.  The Bundesnetzagentur would
come down on them like a ton of bricks.

AFAIK DT is "studying" the implementation of IPv6.  They've "studying"
that for a long time now.  Apparently, DT has enough IPv4 addresses to
handle their needs for the foreseeable future and aren't in any hurry.

--
Gary Jennejohn

Re: Deutsche Telekom termination of T-ISDN Mehrgeraeteanschluss Standard

Ignatios Souvatzis-4
On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 04:03:35AM +0100, Gary Jennejohn wrote:

> AFAIK DT is "studying" the implementation of IPv6.  They've "studying"
> that for a long time now.  Apparently, DT has enough IPv4 addresses to
> handle their needs for the foreseeable future and aren't in any hurry.

Uhm, they announced the Alpha test; they announced a Beta for next year
and production for private costumers by end fo next year, I think.

        -is

Re: Deutsche Telekom termination of T-ISDN Mehrgeraeteanschluss Standard

Gary Jennejohn-5
On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 10:52:53 +0100
[hidden email] wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 04:03:35AM +0100, Gary Jennejohn wrote:
>
> > AFAIK DT is "studying" the implementation of IPv6.  They've "studying"
> > that for a long time now.  Apparently, DT has enough IPv4 addresses to
> > handle their needs for the foreseeable future and aren't in any hurry.
>
> Uhm, they announced the Alpha test; they announced a Beta for next year
> and production for private costumers by end fo next year, I think.

I'll believe it when I see it.

--
Gary Jennejohn