Yahoo! is looking for a Distributed Applications Operations Engineer
The full job posting is as follows (also available at
Think about impacting 1 out of every 2 people online--in innovative and
imaginative ways that are uniquely Yahoo!. We do just that each and
every day, and you could too. After all, it's big thinkers like you who
will create the next generation of Internet experiences for consumers
and advertisers across the globe. Now's the time to show the world what
you've got. Put your ideas to work for over half a billion people.
In the Yahoo Search Technology team, we build scalable systems to
discover, archive, analyze and index billions of documents accessible on
the Web. With the help of cutting edge scoring algorithms and an
extremely high performance runtime querying system capable of serving
millions of queries a day, we positively affect the lives of people
every day. Building this system provides many technical challenges in
the areas of distributed/grid computing, peta-byte scale storage
systems, high-performance and high availability computing.
We are looking for a senior systems engineer to join the YST Content
Operations team. This team is responsible for operations and operations
related infrastructure development, for our core crawling and indexing
Do you like putting all the components of a system together and seeing
it run? Does the challenge of debugging an elusive network issue sound
fun? Would you enjoy hammering different hardware configurations to
figure out how to achieve the most cost-effective performance? As a key
member of the team you will be responsible for deploying and maintaining
large distributed applications that are core to the Yahoo Web Search
product. You will be responsible for troubleshooting production problems
and optimizing performance. You must be a self starter and able to solve
a wide variety of complex problems in innovative and practical ways.
Yahoo Web Search, is passionate about building the world¹s best search
engine! Search is one of the most vital and dynamic technologies behind
the Internet. It is full of new challenges and opportunities for
We're looking for world-class talent to join our team. If you have a
desire to be part of building the best and most innovative search engine
on the planet, come talk to us.
* Support production deployments of large-scale, distributed applications.
* Deployment of new releases and hardware.
* Monitor cluster health and performance. Diagnose and solve issues
* Building infrastructure to streamline operations.
* Document tools and operational procedures.
* Automate recurring tasks as appropriate.
* Participate in capacity planning and hardware requirements analysis.
* BS/MS in Computer Science, Information Systems (or equivalent)
* 3+ year(MS) or 5+ years(BS) of industry experience
* 2+ years experience operating large distributed applications on Unix
* System/Network Administration in a Unix environment, preferably
* hundreds of nodes
* Scripting: Shell/Perl/Python/Tcl
* Excellent planning, communication and interpersonal skills
* Strong focus on maintaining a high Quality of Service.
Desired Additional Experience:
* Familiar with cluster computing platforms such as
* Hands-on experience with monitoring frameworks such as Nagios
* LAMP development/administration is a plus
* Application and hardware performance benchmarking
Yahoo! Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. For more information or to
search all of our openings, please visit http://careers.yahoo.com.
This position is in Santa Clara, CA.
If you're interested, email me your resume in .txt, .html or .pdf format
and I'll pass it on.
attachment0 (193 bytes) Download Attachment
|Free forum by Nabble||Edit this page|