Eclipse 3.1.1 on FreeBSD 6.0: weird window sizes, empty dialog

gwk

Eclipse 3.1.1 on FreeBSD 6.0: weird window sizes, empty dialog

gwk
Hi,

I just installed FreeBSD 6.0-R and tried compiling Eclipse 3.1.1 from ports (i.e.
I used the HEAD version of the Eclipse port on top of an installed 6.0-R).  I used
jdk15.

I had to build WITHOUT_CAIRO (no big deal).

The resulting Eclipse does work, but some status windows come up much too large.
E.g. the progress bar during Eclipse startup is about 1000x800, maybe, when it
should only be rather narrow, say 600x200.  There seems to be a general problem;
the dialog for filtering build problems is also rather large ==>*and completely empty*.  That's true, the dialog is empty and I cannot enter anything :-(

Has anyone of you seen this before?  Would it likely be caused by running
the HEAD version on an older GTK (6.0-R has gnome 2.10, head expects 2.12)?
Or would it likely be caused by running Eclipse with jdk15?  I didn't compile
jdk142 yet, it'll take some time...

Georg.

Re: Eclipse 3.1.1 on FreeBSD 6.0: weird window sizes, empty dialog

Sean McNeil
On Fri, 2005-11-18 at 16:45 +0100, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just installed FreeBSD 6.0-R and tried compiling Eclipse 3.1.1 from ports (i.e.
> I used the HEAD version of the Eclipse port on top of an installed 6.0-R).  I used
> jdk15.
>
> I had to build WITHOUT_CAIRO (no big deal).
>
> The resulting Eclipse does work, but some status windows come up much too large.
> E.g. the progress bar during Eclipse startup is about 1000x800, maybe, when it
> should only be rather narrow, say 600x200.  There seems to be a general problem;
> the dialog for filtering build problems is also rather large ==>*and completely empty*.  That's true, the dialog is empty and I cannot enter anything :-(
>
> Has anyone of you seen this before?  Would it likely be caused by running
> the HEAD version on an older GTK (6.0-R has gnome 2.10, head expects 2.12)?
> Or would it likely be caused by running Eclipse with jdk15?  I didn't compile
> jdk142 yet, it'll take some time...

Yes, this has been reported before.  I believe the solution was to
delete your ~/.eclipse.

Sean

gwk

Am Freitag, den 18.11.2005, 07:50 -0800 schrieb Sean McNeil:

> > The resulting Eclipse does work, but some status windows come up much too large.
> > E.g. the progress bar during Eclipse startup is about 1000x800, maybe, when it
> > should only be rather narrow, say 600x200.  There seems to be a general problem;
> > the dialog for filtering build problems is also rather large ==>*and completely empty*.  That's true, the dialog is empty and I cannot enter anything :-(
> >
> > Has anyone of you seen this before?  Would it likely be caused by running
> > the HEAD version on an older GTK (6.0-R has gnome 2.10, head expects 2.12)?
> > Or would it likely be caused by running Eclipse with jdk15?  I didn't compile
> > jdk142 yet, it'll take some time...
>
> Yes, this has been reported before.  I believe the solution was to
> delete your ~/.eclipse.
Didn't help.  Thanks for the note.

Georg.

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment
gwk

Re: [SOLVED] Eclipse 3.1.1 on FreeBSD 6.0: weird window sizes, empty dialog

gwk
Am Freitag, den 18.11.2005, 07:50 -0800 schrieb Sean McNeil:
> > The resulting Eclipse does work, but some status windows come up much too large.
> > E.g. the progress bar during Eclipse startup is about 1000x800, maybe, when it
> > should only be rather narrow, say 600x200.  There seems to be a general problem;
> > the dialog for filtering build problems is also rather large ==>*and completely empty*.  That's true, the dialog is empty and I cannot enter anything :-(

I solved it by reverting the port back to the version dated 11/05 06:00
(cvs update -D), i.e. before the cairo 1.0 patches.  So it must have
something to do with cairo.  Specifying WITHOUT_CAIRO doesn't seem
sufficient.

On Fri, 2005-11-18 at 23:03 +0100, Georg-W. Koltermann wrote:

> Am Freitag, den 18.11.2005, 07:50 -0800 schrieb Sean McNeil:
> > > The resulting Eclipse does work, but some status windows come up much too large.
> > > E.g. the progress bar during Eclipse startup is about 1000x800, maybe, when it
> > > should only be rather narrow, say 600x200.  There seems to be a general problem;
> > > the dialog for filtering build problems is also rather large ==>*and completely empty*.  That's true, the dialog is empty and I cannot enter anything :-(
> > >

> I solved it by reverting the port back to the version dated 11/05 06:00
> (cvs update -D), i.e. before the cairo 1.0 patches.  So it must have
> something to do with cairo.  Specifying WITHOUT_CAIRO doesn't seem
> sufficient.

It could be that you did not use the update script to move to gnome
2.12.  I am using eclipse + jdk15 + gnome 2.12 on amd64 6-stable and I
do not have the problem you describe.  You compiled eclipse with

make WITHOUT_CAIRO=y

or did you place it in /etc/make.conf?  I built with the command line.

Note there are patches to eclipse for compiling on i386 with the latest
cairo, but (IMHO) they are wrong.  They are incomplete and provide a
broken interface, so it is useless.

Cheers,
Sean