Ekiga && FreeBSD (for a future without Skype)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
31 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Ekiga && FreeBSD (for a future without Skype)

Matthias Apitz-4

Hello,

Now, as M$ bought Skype, we should stop wining for a native Skype client
for FreeBSD and should prepare us for the time when M$ will "integrate"
Skype into its desktop and stop deliver binaries for Linux;

I have spent some time to get PTlib, Opal and Ekiga compiled directly
from its repositories in SVN and Git, and fixed the bugs to let Ekiga
detect the devices /dev/video0 (created by pwc.ko or webcamd) and
/dev/dsp* sound devices. The result is documented here:

http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Compile_your_own_SVN_version_of_Ekiga_on_FreeBSD

If someone wants to give me a call at sip:....@ekiga.net, just contact
me offlist :-)

HIH

        matthias
--
Matthias Apitz
t +49-89-61308 351 - f +49-89-61308 399 - m +49-170-4527211
e <[hidden email]> - w http://www.unixarea.de/
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-multimedia
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ekiga && FreeBSD (for a future without Skype)

Ivan Klymenko
В Sun, 22 May 2011 19:10:33 +0200
Matthias Apitz <[hidden email]> пишет:

>
> Hello,
>
> Now, as M$ bought Skype, we should stop wining for a native Skype
> client for FreeBSD and should prepare us for the time when M$ will
> "integrate" Skype into its desktop and stop deliver binaries for
> Linux;
>
> I have spent some time to get PTlib, Opal and Ekiga compiled directly
> from its repositories in SVN and Git, and fixed the bugs to let Ekiga
> detect the devices /dev/video0 (created by pwc.ko or webcamd) and
> /dev/dsp* sound devices. The result is documented here:
>
> http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Compile_your_own_SVN_version_of_Ekiga_on_FreeBSD
>
> If someone wants to give me a call at sip:....@ekiga.net, just contact
> me offlist :-)
>
> HIH
>
> matthias

In that case - why not upgrade the port net/ekiga3 ?
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-multimedia
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ekiga && FreeBSD (for a future without Skype)

Randal L. Schwartz
In reply to this post by Matthias Apitz-4
>>>>> "Matthias" == Matthias Apitz <[hidden email]> writes:

Matthias> Now, as M$ bought Skype, we should stop wining for a native
Matthias> Skype client for FreeBSD and should prepare us for the time
Matthias> when M$ will "integrate" Skype into its desktop and stop
Matthias> deliver binaries for Linux;

Consider Jitsi, which is written in Java, and supports all modern SIP
and XMPP and IM (and soon full Gtalk) protocols, with a built in broad
list of audio and video codecs.  With the proper use of the free (or
paid) PSTN-to-SIP bridges, it can nearly completely replace Skype, at
least for point-to-point audio/video.  (No SILK though... there's
nothing that comes close, sadly.)

I interviewed the lead developer for FLOSS Weekly a few weeks
back... sounds quite promising.  http://twit.tv/floss162

--
Randal L. Schwartz - Stonehenge Consulting Services, Inc. - +1 503 777 0095
<[hidden email]> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>
Smalltalk/Perl/Unix consulting, Technical writing, Comedy, etc. etc.
See http://methodsandmessages.posterous.com/ for Smalltalk discussion
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-multimedia
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ekiga && FreeBSD (for a future without Skype)

Ivan Klymenko
В Sun, 22 May 2011 10:44:50 -0700
[hidden email] (Randal L. Schwartz) пишет:

> >>>>> "Matthias" == Matthias Apitz <[hidden email]> writes:
>
> Matthias> Now, as M$ bought Skype, we should stop wining for a native
> Matthias> Skype client for FreeBSD and should prepare us for the time
> Matthias> when M$ will "integrate" Skype into its desktop and stop
> Matthias> deliver binaries for Linux;
>
> Consider Jitsi, which is written in Java, and supports all modern SIP
> and XMPP and IM (and soon full Gtalk) protocols, with a built in broad
> list of audio and video codecs.  With the proper use of the free (or
> paid) PSTN-to-SIP bridges, it can nearly completely replace Skype, at
> least for point-to-point audio/video.  (No SILK though... there's
> nothing that comes close, sadly.)
>
> I interviewed the lead developer for FLOSS Weekly a few weeks
> back... sounds quite promising.  http://twit.tv/floss162
>

I do not think that bind to Java is a good idea ... IMHO
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-multimedia
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

baresip (was Re: Ekiga && FreeBSD (for a future without Skype)

Luigi Rizzo-4
In reply to this post by Matthias Apitz-4
On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 07:10:33PM +0200, Matthias Apitz wrote:

>
> Hello,
>
> Now, as M$ bought Skype, we should stop wining for a native Skype client
> for FreeBSD and should prepare us for the time when M$ will "integrate"
> Skype into its desktop and stop deliver binaries for Linux;
>
> I have spent some time to get PTlib, Opal and Ekiga compiled directly
> from its repositories in SVN and Git, and fixed the bugs to let Ekiga
> detect the devices /dev/video0 (created by pwc.ko or webcamd) and
> /dev/dsp* sound devices. The result is documented here:
>
> http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Compile_your_own_SVN_version_of_Ekiga_on_FreeBSD
>
> If someone wants to give me a call at sip:....@ekiga.net, just contact
> me offlist :-)
For people interested in audio/video telephony, I'd also suggest
baresip, which you can find at

        http://www.creytiv.com/pub/

version 0.2.0 works almost with no effort on FreeBSD, does not need
a ton of libraries, and supports a variety of input and output
methods (for video input, it can talk to webcamd, or an internal
x11 grabber, or any file that ffmpeg can read).

a skeleton for a port of version 0.2.0 is attached

        cheers
        luigi

_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-multimedia
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: baresip (was Re: Ekiga && FreeBSD (for a future without Skype)

Luigi Rizzo-4

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 08:46:14AM +0200, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
...

> For people interested in audio/video telephony, I'd also suggest
> baresip, which you can find at
>
> http://www.creytiv.com/pub/
>
> version 0.2.0 works almost with no effort on FreeBSD, does not need
> a ton of libraries, and supports a variety of input and output
> methods (for video input, it can talk to webcamd, or an internal
> x11 grabber, or any file that ffmpeg can read).
>
> a skeleton for a port of version 0.2.0 is attached

forgot that the mailing list strips attachments.  You can find it at

http://info.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/FreeBSD/20110523-baresip-port.tgz

cheers
luigi

_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-multimedia
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: baresip (was Re: Ekiga && FreeBSD (for a future without Skype)

SicoSico
Hi Luigi Rizzo,

Could you please provide a port for a newer version or a new port for the same 0.2.0 version?
Building the port through the port skeleton you provided fails because of different files checksum
I downloaded the files from http://www.creytiv.com/pub/

Thanks in advance.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: baresip (was Re: Ekiga && FreeBSD (for a future without Skype)

Matthias Apitz-4
El día Saturday, August 25, 2012 a las 04:43:03AM -0700, SicoSico escribió:

> Hi Luigi Rizzo,
>
> Could you please provide a port for a newer version or a new port for the
> same 0.2.0 version?
> Building the port through the port skeleton you provided fails because of
> different files checksum
> I downloaded the files from  http://www.creytiv.com/pub/
> http://www.creytiv.com/pub/ 
>
> Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Just for the records: I compiled in December last year 0.4.0 directly
from the sources.

HIH

        matthias
--
Matthias Apitz
t +49-89-61308 351 - f +49-89-61308 399 - m +49-170-4527211
e <[hidden email]> - w http://www.unixarea.de/
UNIX since V7 on PDP-11 | UNIX on mainframe since ESER 1055 (IBM /370)
UNIX on x86 since SVR4.2 UnixWare 2.1.2 | FreeBSD since 2.2.5
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-multimedia
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: baresip (was Re: Ekiga && FreeBSD (for a future without Skype)

SicoSico
Thanks, I managed to compile it today too :-)
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: baresip (was Re: Ekiga && FreeBSD (for a future without Skype)

SicoSico
In reply to this post by Matthias Apitz-4
Hello again,

Is there a way to make baresip detects my webcam?

I have the following in ~/.baresip/config

video_dev v4l2,/dev/video0
module v4l.so
module v4l2.so

But baresip says:
video: No video source: No such file or directory

My webcam works with skype.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: baresip (was Re: Ekiga && FreeBSD (for a future without Skype)

Matthias Apitz-4
El día Friday, August 31, 2012 a las 10:08:53AM -0700, SicoSico escribió:

> Hello again,
>
> Is there a way to make baresip detects my webcam?
>
> I have the following in ~/.baresip/config
>
> video_dev v4l2,/dev/video0
                        ^^^^^
Delete 'v4l2,' in the line of video_dev;

        matthias

> module v4l.so
> module v4l2.so
>
> But baresip says:
> video: No video source: No such file or directory
>
> My webcam works with skype.
>
>
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://freebsd.1045724.n5.nabble.com/Ekiga-FreeBSD-for-a-future-without-Skype-tp4417102p5739706.html
> Sent from the freebsd-multimedia mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
> _______________________________________________
> [hidden email] mailing list
> http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-multimedia
> To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"

--
Matthias Apitz
e <[hidden email]> - w http://www.unixarea.de/
UNIX since V7 on PDP-11, UNIX on mainframe since ESER 1055 (IBM /370)
UNIX on x86 since SVR4.2 UnixWare 2.1.2, FreeBSD since 2.2.5
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-multimedia
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: baresip (was Re: Ekiga && FreeBSD (for a future without Skype)

SicoSico
I deleted it and kept '/dev/video0' but with the same error message.
I even commented the following lines and it sends the same error message:

# Video
#video_dev              /dev/video0
#video_size             352x288
#video_bitrate          384000
#video_fps              25
#video_selfview         window # {window,pip}

I added the 'v4l2,' because I compiled baresip 0.4.1 which didn't work because of segmentation fault error, but it created a config file with that line:
video_dev              v4l2,/dev/video0
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: baresip (was Re: Ekiga && FreeBSD (for a future without Skype)

Matthias Apitz-4
El día Saturday, September 01, 2012 a las 09:00:58AM -0700, SicoSico escribió:

> I deleted it and kept '/dev/video0' but with the same error message.
> I even commented the following lines and it sends the same error message:
>
> ...

Try to use this complete distribution compiled by me:

http://www.unixarea.de/baresip-dist.tar.gz

to be untar'ed below /;

        matthias
--
Matthias Apitz
t +49-89-61308 351 - f +49-89-61308 399 - m +49-170-4527211
e <[hidden email]> - w http://www.unixarea.de/
UNIX since V7 on PDP-11 | UNIX on mainframe since ESER 1055 (IBM /370)
UNIX on x86 since SVR4.2 UnixWare 2.1.2 | FreeBSD since 2.2.5
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-multimedia
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: baresip (was Re: Ekiga && FreeBSD (for a future without Skype)

Chris Rees-2
On 1 Sep 2012 18:42, "Matthias Apitz" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> El día Saturday, September 01, 2012 a las 09:00:58AM -0700, SicoSico
escribió:
>
> > I deleted it and kept '/dev/video0' but with the same error message.
> > I even commented the following lines and it sends the same error
message:
> >
> > ...
>
> Try to use this complete distribution compiled by me:
>
> http://www.unixarea.de/baresip-dist.tar.gz
>
> to be untar'ed below /;

I just added a port, based on Luigi's work.

Perhaps that might help.

Chris
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-multimedia
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: baresip (was Re: Ekiga && FreeBSD (for a future without Skype)

SicoSico
In reply to this post by Matthias Apitz-4
I can't thank you enough  Matthias Apitz & Chris Rees :)

I extracted baresip-dist.tar.gz but:
#baresip
Shared object "libre.so" not found, required by "baresip"

Checking the file location, it is in:
/usr/local/lib/libre.so
__________

As for the port, it is a dream come true :) I hope there will be a way to add v4l2 support.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: baresip (was Re: Ekiga && FreeBSD (for a future without Skype)

Matthias Apitz-4
El día Sunday, September 02, 2012 a las 03:02:51PM -0700, SicoSico escribió:

> I can't thank you enough  Matthias Apitz & Chris Rees :)
>
> I extracted baresip-dist.tar.gz but:
> #baresip
> Shared object "libre.so" not found, required by "baresip"
>
> Checking the file location, it is in:
> /usr/local/lib/libre.so

Have you unpacked it like this:

# cd /
# tar xzf baresip-dist.tar.gz

        matthias
--
Matthias Apitz               |  /"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign: www.asciiribbon.org
E-mail: [hidden email]     |  \ / - No HTML/RTF in E-mail
WWW: http://www.unixarea.de/ |   X  - No proprietary attachments
phone: +49-170-4527211       |  / \ - Respect for open standards
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-multimedia
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: baresip (was Re: Ekiga && FreeBSD (for a future without Skype)

SicoSico
Yes, I did. And libre.so was indeed extracted in /usr/local/lib
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: baresip (was Re: Ekiga && FreeBSD (for a future without Skype)

Matthias Apitz-4
El día Monday, September 03, 2012 a las 04:20:35AM -0700, SicoSico escribió:

> Yes, I did. And libre.so was indeed extracted in /usr/local/lib

what does

$ ldd baresip

show?

        matthias
--
Matthias Apitz               |  /"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign: www.asciiribbon.org
E-mail: [hidden email]     |  \ / - No HTML/RTF in E-mail
WWW: http://www.unixarea.de/ |   X  - No proprietary attachments
phone: +49-170-4527211       |  / \ - Respect for open standards
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-multimedia
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: baresip (was Re: Ekiga && FreeBSD (for a future without Skype)

SicoSico
#ldd /usr/local/bin/baresip
/usr/local/bin/baresip:
        libre.so => not found (0)
        libssl.so.7 => /usr/lib32/libssl.so.7 (0x2808a000)
        libcrypto.so.7 => /usr/lib32/libcrypto.so.7 (0x280e6000)
        libz.so.6 => /usr/lib32/libz.so.6 (0x28279000)
        libthr.so.3 => /usr/lib32/libthr.so.3 (0x2828d000)
        librem.so => not found (0)
        libm.so.5 => /usr/lib32/libm.so.5 (0x282b0000)
        libc.so.7 => /usr/lib32/libc.so.7 (0x282cc000)

#cd /usr/local/lib
#ls -al | grep libre
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root  wheel   1224389 Dec 30  2011 libre.so
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root  wheel     81924 Dec 30  2011 librem.so
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: baresip (was Re: Ekiga && FreeBSD (for a future without Skype)

Chris Rees-2
On 3 Sep 2012 12:44, "SicoSico" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> #ldd /usr/local/bin/baresip
> /usr/local/bin/baresip:
>         libre.so => not found (0)
>         libssl.so.7 => /usr/lib32/libssl.so.7 (0x2808a000)
>         libcrypto.so.7 => /usr/lib32/libcrypto.so.7 (0x280e6000)
>         libz.so.6 => /usr/lib32/libz.so.6 (0x28279000)
>         libthr.so.3 => /usr/lib32/libthr.so.3 (0x2828d000)
>         librem.so => not found (0)
>         libm.so.5 => /usr/lib32/libm.so.5 (0x282b0000)
>         libc.so.7 => /usr/lib32/libc.so.7 (0x282cc000)
>
> #cd /usr/local/lib
> #ls -al | grep libre
> -rwxr-xr-x    1 root  wheel   1224389 Dec 30  2011 libre.so
> -rwxr-xr-x    1 root  wheel     81924 Dec 30  2011 librem.so
>
>

I made a few tweaks when porting; I think that bare sip expects libre and
librem in /usr/lib by default.  Perhaps Matthias has them in there too, and
it linked that way.

Perhaps try the port?

Chris
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-multimedia
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
12