Espressobin anyone ?

1234

Espressobin anyone ?

Søren Schmidt-4
Hi

Just before I get me feet to wet in attacking it, is there anyone that has made progress on this ?

There are a few rumblings here and there but nothing concrete ..

-Søren

Re: Espressobin anyone ?

Marcin Wojtas
Hi Soren

W dniu wt., 14.05.2019 o 20:40 Søren Schmidt <[hidden email]>
napisał(a):

> Hi
>
> Just before I get me feet to wet in attacking it, is there anyone that has
> made progress on this ?
>
> There are a few rumblings here and there but nothing concrete ..
>
> -Søren

It works nicely on HEAD (without PCIE though) - It was tried 2 weeks ago.

Best regards,
Marcin

Re: Espressobin anyone ?

Søren Schmidt-4
Hi Marcin

OK, I just tried 12-stable and it doesn’t seem to be able to locate any partitions.

Is there any official docs/notes on how to setup the boot environment on the Espressobin board?
I’ve been able to get it to load the efi loader with the stock u-boot (which is kindof linux centric):

Found 1 disks
Consoles: EFI console
FreeBSD/arm64 EFI loader, Revision 1.1

   Command line arguments: loader.efi
   EFI version: 2.05
   EFI Firmware: Das U-boot (rev 0.00)
   Console: efi (0)
Failed to find bootable partition

I’ll try the stock arm64 image from head, see if that gets any further..

> On 14 May 2019, at 20.47, Marcin Wojtas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Soren
>
> W dniu wt., 14.05.2019 o 20:40 Søren Schmidt <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> napisał(a):
> Hi
>
> Just before I get me feet to wet in attacking it, is there anyone that has made progress on this ?
>
> There are a few rumblings here and there but nothing concrete ..
>
> -Søren
>

> It works nicely on HEAD (without PCIE though) - It was tried 2 weeks ago.
>
> Best regards,
> Marcin

Re: Espressobin anyone ?

Søren Schmidt-4

> On 14 May 2019, at 21.10, Søren Schmidt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Marcin
>
> OK, I just tried 12-stable and it doesn’t seem to be able to locate any partitions.
>
> Is there any official docs/notes on how to setup the boot environment on the Espressobin board?
> I’ve been able to get it to load the efi loader with the stock u-boot (which is kindof linux centric):
>
> Found 1 disks
> Consoles: EFI console
> FreeBSD/arm64 EFI loader, Revision 1.1
>
>   Command line arguments: loader.efi
>   EFI version: 2.05
>   EFI Firmware: Das U-boot (rev 0.00)
>   Console: efi (0)
> Failed to find bootable partition
>
> I’ll try the stock arm64 image from head, see if that gets any further..
>

>> On 14 May 2019, at 20.47, Marcin Wojtas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Soren
>>
>> W dniu wt., 14.05.2019 o 20:40 Søren Schmidt <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> napisał(a):
>> Hi
>>
>> Just before I get me feet to wet in attacking it, is there anyone that has made progress on this ?
>>
>> There are a few rumblings here and there but nothing concrete ..
>>
>> -Søren
>>

>> It works nicely on HEAD (without PCIE though) - It was tried 2 weeks ago.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Marcin
The newest HEAD snapshot image doesn’t work either, fails the same way (no partition found) so no Lua loader..(my 12-stable uses the old 4th loader).

Found 1 disks
Consoles: EFI console
    Reading loader env vars from /efi/freebsd/loader.env
FreeBSD/arm64 EFI loader, Revision 1.1

   Command line arguments: loader.efi
   EFI version: 2.05
   EFI Firmware: Das U-boot (rev 0.00)
   Console: efi (0)
Startup error in /boot/lua/loader.lua:
LUA ERROR: cannot open /boot/lua/loader.lua: invalid argument.

can't load 'kernel'

Type '?' for a list of commands, 'help' for more detailed help.
OK

Ideas are welcome, seems that the aarch64 loader gets in there, but it fails to find the freebsd partition…

-Søren

RE: Espressobin anyone ?

James Shuriff
You can boot manually using the loader shell, right? Try putting this in /EFI/FREEBSD/loader.env

rootdev=disk0sX:

Were "X" is the boot slice, such as 2a. This didn't work for me when I was having loader.efi issues but it's worth a shot. How is your disk laid out?

- James Shuriff

> On 14 May 2019, at 21.10, Søren Schmidt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Marcin
>
> OK, I just tried 12-stable and it doesn’t seem to be able to locate any partitions.
>
> Is there any official docs/notes on how to setup the boot environment on the Espressobin board?
> I’ve been able to get it to load the efi loader with the stock u-boot (which is kindof linux centric):
>
> Found 1 disks
> Consoles: EFI console
> FreeBSD/arm64 EFI loader, Revision 1.1
>
>   Command line arguments: loader.efi
>   EFI version: 2.05
>   EFI Firmware: Das U-boot (rev 0.00)
>   Console: efi (0)
> Failed to find bootable partition
>
> I’ll try the stock arm64 image from head, see if that gets any further..
>

>> On 14 May 2019, at 20.47, Marcin Wojtas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Soren
>>
>> W dniu wt., 14.05.2019 o 20:40 Søren Schmidt <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> napisał(a):
>> Hi
>>
>> Just before I get me feet to wet in attacking it, is there anyone that has made progress on this ?
>>
>> There are a few rumblings here and there but nothing concrete ..
>>
>> -Søren
>>

>> It works nicely on HEAD (without PCIE though) - It was tried 2 weeks ago.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Marcin

The newest HEAD snapshot image doesn’t work either, fails the same way (no partition found) so no Lua loader..(my 12-stable uses the old 4th loader).

Found 1 disks
Consoles: EFI console
    Reading loader env vars from /efi/freebsd/loader.env
FreeBSD/arm64 EFI loader, Revision 1.1

   Command line arguments: loader.efi
   EFI version: 2.05
   EFI Firmware: Das U-boot (rev 0.00)
   Console: efi (0)
Startup error in /boot/lua/loader.lua:
LUA ERROR: cannot open /boot/lua/loader.lua: invalid argument.

can't load 'kernel'

Type '?' for a list of commands, 'help' for more detailed help.
OK

Ideas are welcome, seems that the aarch64 loader gets in there, but it fails to find the freebsd partition…

-Søren

________________________________
 DISCLAIMER: This message and any attachments are intended solely for the use of the recipient and may contain confidential information. If you have received this message in error please delete it and promptly notify the sender, James Shuriff ([hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>).

Re: Espressobin anyone ?

Søren Schmidt-4
Hi

Sortof boot.

I use the stock arm64 memstick image.

I can get it to boot the kernel if I add a .dtb file to the fat partition and load that, and issue set currdev=diskXX at the loader prompt

However the kernel does find the SD card controller but does not find the SD card so no root filesystem.

On the stock image (HEAD) there is no /EFI/FREEBSD, just /EFI/BOOT but I’ll try to add it in there so the boot can continue without interaction.

However I still don’t have a rootfs . That could be OK and just use a SATA disk which was the idea in the long run.

-Søren

> On 15 May 2019, at 21.07, James Shuriff <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> You can boot manually using the loader shell, right? Try putting this in /EFI/FREEBSD/loader.env
>
> rootdev=disk0sX:
>
> Were "X" is the boot slice, such as 2a. This didn't work for me when I was having loader.efi issues but it's worth a shot. How is your disk laid out?
>
> - James Shuriff

/EFI/FREEBSD isn't there in the image. It's only used for /EFI/FREEBSD/loader.env as far as I know. If setting currdev from the loader prompt works then setting rootdev to diskXX: should work. It didn't work for me when I had a similar issue to what you're having but it's worth a try. How is your disk partitioned?

- James Shuriff

I can get it to boot the kernel if I add a .dtb file to the fat partition and load that, and issue set currdev=diskXX at the loader prompt

However the kernel does find the SD card controller but does not find the SD card so no root filesystem.

On the stock image (HEAD) there is no /EFI/FREEBSD, just /EFI/BOOT but I’ll try to add it in there so the boot can continue without interaction.

However I still don’t have a rootfs . That could be OK and just use a SATA disk which was the idea in the long run.

-Søren

> On 15 May 2019, at 21.07, James Shuriff <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> You can boot manually using the loader shell, right? Try putting this in /EFI/FREEBSD/loader.env
>
> rootdev=disk0sX:
>
> Were "X" is the boot slice, such as 2a. This didn't work for me when I was having loader.efi issues but it's worth a shot. How is your disk laid out?
>
> - James Shuriff

Using loader.env doesn’t work it is not read it seems.
However having hacked currdev into the loader instead it boots reliably, it finds its network but not the switch and MMC media is also ignored.
It does seem to find its SATA disk though but I need to add the armada ID’s to my driver there.

There is a lot of HW support missing though, but given that others have support it shouldn’t be too hard to fix, given that I can get the SATA port working so it can be (re)booted and played with easily,

-Søren

> On 15 May 2019, at 22.49, James Shuriff <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> /EFI/FREEBSD isn't there in the image. It's only used for /EFI/FREEBSD/loader.env as far as I know. If setting currdev from the loader prompt works then setting rootdev to diskXX: should work. It didn't work for me when I had a similar issue to what you're having but it's worth a try. How is your disk partitioned?
>
> - James Shuriff

Kim Shrier-2
I have just received my espressobin board and I am attempting to boot FreeBSD from a USB stick.

I built a memstick image on FreeBSD Current r348346 and dd’ed it onto the usb stick.

I have done a usb start command and it located my USD stick.

    Marvell>> usb start
    starting USB...
    USB0:   Register 2000104 NbrPorts 2
    Starting the controller
    USB XHCI 1.00
    USB1:   USB EHCI 1.00
    scanning bus 0 for devices... 1 USB Device(s) found
    scanning bus 1 for devices... 2 USB Device(s) found
           scanning usb for storage devices... 1 Storage Device(s) found

    Marvell>> usb dev

    USB device 0: Vendor: SMI      Rev: 1100 Prod: USB DISK
                Type: Removable Hard Disk
                Capacity: 3824.0 MB = 3.7 GB (7831552 x 512)

    Marvell>> usb part

    Partition Map for USB device 0  --   Partition Type: EFI

    Part Start LBA End LBA Name
            Attributes
            Type GUID
            Partition GUID
      1    0x00000003 0x0001041a ""
            attrs: 0x0000000000000000
            type: c12a7328-f81f-11d2-ba4b-00a0c93ec93b
            guid: f3c4b566-81da-11e9-85d3-10ddb1e3768c
      2    0x0001041b 0x00227cda ""
            attrs: 0x0000000000000000
            type: 516e7cb4-6ecf-11d6-8ff8-00022d09712b
            guid: f3c4b7b7-81da-11e9-85d3-10ddb1e3768c

    Marvell>> fatls usb 0 /efi/boot
                ./
                ../
       635712   bootaa64.efi

    1 file(s), 2 dir(s)

I am not sure of what I need to do to get it to boot FreeBSD off of the usb stick
I have tried the following commands:

    Marvell>> fatload usb 0 0 /efi/boot/bootaa64.efi
    reading /efi/boot/bootaa64.efi
    635712 bytes read in 45 ms (13.5 MiB/s)

    Marvell>> bootefi 0
    ## Starting EFI application at 00000000 ...
    WARNING: Invalid device tree, expect boot to fail
    Card did not respond to voltage select!
    mmc_init: -95, time 23
    Found 0 disks
    Consoles: EFI console
        Reading loader env vars from /efi/freebsd/loader.env
    FreeBSD/arm64 EFI loader, Revision 1.1

       Command line arguments: loader.efi
       EFI version: 2.05
       EFI Firmware: Das U-boot (rev 0.00)
       Console: efi (0)
    Startup error in /boot/lua/loader.lua:
    LUA ERROR: cannot open /boot/lua/loader.lua: no such file or directory.

    can't load 'kernel'

    Type '?' for a list of commands, 'help' for more detailed help.
    OK

Based on the warning message and some comments previously in this thread, I think I need a .dtb file.
I have downloaded the armada-3720-community-v7.dtb file from globalscaletechnologies.com.
After I get it onto the usb stick, I am not sure of the command(s) needed to load it into memory.
Nor, am I sure of any other settings I need to make in order to boot FreeBSD from the usb stick.

Kim

Re: Espressobin anyone ?

Søren Schmidt-4
Hi

I managed to get it to boot with the following:

setenv fdt_name 'efi/boot/armada-3720-espressobin.dtb'
setenv image_name 'efi/boot/bootaa64.efi'
setenv bootmmc 'mmc dev 0; fatload mmc 0:1 $kernel_addr $image_name;fatload mmc 0:1 $fdt_addr $fdt_name; bootefi $kernel_addr $fdt_addr'
run bootmmc

Then when the FreeBSD loader fails to load the kernel enter:

set currdev=disk0p2
Boot

That will boot the kernel:

/boot/kernel/kernel text=0x92aab0 data=0x190f48+0x84ab1c syms=[0x8+0x137580+0x8+0x12372b]
Using DTB provided by EFI at 0x8000000.
---<<BOOT>>---
KDB: debugger backends: ddb
KDB: current backend: ddb
Copyright (c) 1992-2019 The FreeBSD Project.
Copyright (c) 1979, 1980, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994
        The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
FreeBSD is a registered trademark of The FreeBSD Foundation.
FreeBSD 13.0-CURRENT r348210 GENERIC arm64
FreeBSD clang version 8.0.0 (tags/RELEASE_800/final 356365) (based on LLVM 8.0.0)
WARNING: WITNESS option enabled, expect reduced performance.
VT: init without driver.
Starting CPU 1 (1)
FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor System Detected: 2 CPUs
arc4random: WARNING: initial seeding bypassed the cryptographic random device because it was not yet seeded and the knob 'bypass_before_seeding' was enabled.
random: entropy device external interface
MAP 3e679000 mode 2 pages 1
MAP 3ffa6000 mode 2 pages 1
kbd0 at kbdmux0
ofwbus0: <Open Firmware Device Tree>
simplebus0: <Flattened device tree simple bus> on ofwbus0
simplebus1: <Flattened device tree simple bus> on simplebus0
psci0: <ARM Power State Co-ordination Interface Driver> on ofwbus0
gic0: <ARM Generic Interrupt Controller v3.0> mem 0x1d00000-0x1d0ffff,0x1d40000-0x1d7ffff irq 37 on simplebus1
generic_timer0: <ARMv8 Generic Timer> irq 0,1,2,3 on ofwbus0
Timecounter "ARM MPCore Timecounter" frequency 12500000 Hz quality 1000
Event timer "ARM MPCore Eventtimer" frequency 12500000 Hz quality 1000
cpulist0: <Open Firmware CPU Group> on ofwbus0
cpu0: <Open Firmware CPU> on cpulist0
cpu1: <Open Firmware CPU> on cpulist0
uart0: <Marvell Armada 3700 UART> mem 0x12000-0x123ff irq 8 on simplebus1
uart0: console (115200,n,8,1)
mvneta0: <NETA controller> mem 0x30000-0x33fff irq 10 on simplebus1
mvneta0: version is 10
mvneta0: Ethernet address: f0:ad:4e:08:61:5e
mvneta1: <NETA controller> mem 0x40000-0x43fff irq 11 on simplebus1
mvneta1: Failed to acquire PHY mode from FDT.
device_attach: mvneta1 attach returned 6
xhci0: <Generic USB 3.0 controller> mem 0x58000-0x5bfff irq 31 on simplebus1
xhci0: 32 bytes context size, 32-bit DMA
usbus0 on xhci0
ehci0: <Marvell Integrated USB 2.0 controller> mem 0x5e000-0x5ffff irq 33 on simplebus1
usbus1: EHCI version 1.0
usbus1 on ehci0
sdhci_xenon0: <Armada Xenon SDHCI controller> mem 0xd0000-0xd02ff,0x1e808-0x1e80b irq 34 on simplebus1
sdhci_xenon1: <Armada Xenon SDHCI controller> mem 0xd8000-0xd82ff,0x17808-0x1780b irq 35 on simplebus1
ahci0: <AHCI SATA controller> mem 0xe0000-0xe1fff irq 36 on simplebus1
ahci0: AHCI v1.30 with 1 6Gbps ports, Port Multiplier supported with FBS
ahcich0: <AHCI channel> at channel 0 on ahci0
cryptosoft0: <software crypto>
Timecounters tick every 1.000 msec
mvneta0: link state changed to UP
usbus0: 5.0Gbps Super Speed USB v3.0
usbus1: 480Mbps High Speed USB v2.0
ugen0.1: <Generic XHCI root HUB> at usbus0
uhub0: <Generic XHCI root HUB, class 9/0, rev 3.00/1.00, addr 1> on usbus0
ugen1.1: <Marvell EHCI root HUB> at usbus1
uhub1: <Marvell EHCI root HUB, class 9/0, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 1> on usbus1
Release APs...done
CPU  0: ARM Cortex-A53 r0p4 affinity:  0
 Instruction Set Attributes 0 = <CRC32,SHA2,SHA1,AES+PMULL>
Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/ufs/FreeBSD_Install [ro,noatime]...
 Instruction Set Attributes 1 = <>
Root mount waiting for:         Processor Features 0 = <GIC,AdvSIMD,Float,EL3 32,EL2 32,EL1 32,EL0 32>
 usbus1         Processor Features 1 = <0>
 usbus0      Memory Model Features 0 = <4k Granule,64k Granule,S/NS Mem,MixedEndian,16bit ASID,1TB PA>

      Memory Model Features 1 = <>
      Memory Model Features 2 = <32b CCIDX,48b VA>
             Debug Features 0 = <2 CTX Breakpoints,4 Watchpoints,6 Breakpoints,PMUv3,Debug v8>
             Debug Features 1 = <0>
         Auxiliary Features 0 = <0>
         Auxiliary Features 1 = <0>
CPU  1: ARM Cortex-A53 r0p4 affinity:  1
WARNING: WITNESS option enabled, expect reduced performance.
uhub1: 1 port with 1 removable, self powered
mountroot: waiting for device /dev/ufs/FreeBSD_Install...
Mounting from ufs:/dev/ufs/FreeBSD_Install failed with error 19.

Loader variables:
  vfs.root.mountfrom=ufs:/dev/ufs/FreeBSD_Install
  vfs.root.mountfrom.options=ro,noatime

Manual root filesystem specification:
  <fstype>:<device> [options]
      Mount <device> using filesystem <fstype>
      and with the specified (optional) option list.

    eg. ufs:/dev/da0s1a
        zfs:zroot/ROOT/default
        cd9660:/dev/cd0 ro
          (which is equivalent to: mount -t cd9660 -o ro /dev/cd0 /)

  ?               List valid disk boot devices
  .               Yield 1 second (for background tasks)
  <empty line>    Abort manual input

mountroot>

However, the MMC/SDcard fails to be found so it will stop at mounting root.

Having a disk on the SATA port can make it work from there though.

The etherswitch is not found, but the single “nata” port does show up..

All in all the support is barely enough to boot a kernel, but a long way from being useful.

You can use 12-stable as well, the same support seems to be present there, and its much more stable, -current as is today panics…

Oh, and you need to get the “right” .dtb file, otherwise you get panic’s etc.

YMMV…

-Søren

Re: Espressobin anyone ?

Kim Shrier-2

> [...]
>
>     eg. ufs:/dev/da0s1a
>         zfs:zroot/ROOT/default
>         cd9660:/dev/cd0 ro
>           (which is equivalent to: mount -t cd9660 -o ro /dev/cd0 /)
>
>   ?               List valid disk boot devices
>   .               Yield 1 second (for background tasks)
>   <empty line>    Abort manual input
>
> mountroot>
>
> However, the MMC/SDcard fails to be found so it will stop at mounting root.
>
> Having a disk on the SATA port can make it work from there though.
>
> The etherswitch is not found, but the single “nata” port does show up..
>
> All in all the support is barely enough to boot a kernel, but a long way from being useful.
>
> You can use 12-stable as well, the same support seems to be present there, and its much more stable, -current as is today panics…
>
> Oh, and you need to get the “right” .dtb file, otherwise you get panic’s etc.

My milage varies.

I have experimented with many permutations of commands and nothing has worked so far.

The main difference I see between what I am doing and what you are doing is that I am trying to boot from a usb stick, not a sdcard.

It appears that after bootaa64.efi starts running, it does not see the usb interface or the usb stick plugged in to it.

I have also tried plugging in a sata drive that I built with an EFI partition and a freebsd-ufs partition that I had installed freebsd into.

In all cases, after bootaa64.efi is running, it seems determined to look on the sdcard for the kernel and it completely ignores the presence of the usb stick and the sata drive.

At the loader prompt, it appears that bootaa64.efi does not know about either of these devices.

    OK lsdev
    net devices:
        net0:

I suspect that there may be something wrong in the armada-3720-community-v7.dtb file but I don’t know how to investigate that or correct it.  Pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Kim

Re: Espressobin anyone ?

Luiz Otavio O Souza-4
On Sun, 2 Jun 2019 at 13:41, Søren Schmidt <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

> mountroot>
>
> However, the MMC/SDcard fails to be found so it will stop at mounting root.
>
> Having a disk on the SATA port can make it work from there though.
>
> The etherswitch is not found, but the single “nata” port does show up..
>
> All in all the support is barely enough to boot a kernel, but a long way from being useful.
>
> You can use 12-stable as well, the same support seems to be present there, and its much more stable, -current as is today panics…
>
> Oh, and you need to get the “right” .dtb file, otherwise you get panic’s etc.

I've fixed the SD Card detection issue in r348882 and also the panic
in -current.

Now you should be able to boot the espressobin with -current without
any changes.

The correct DTS (to use) is in
sys/gnu/dts/arm64/marvell/armada-3720-espressobin.dts.

With this DTS the switch will work (also fixed and improved recently,
more to come..).

Let me know how it goes.

Luiz

Re: Espressobin anyone ?

Søren Schmidt-4
Excelent ! I’ll try that out when I get back home today.
I had a small fix to the sata target in the DTS in order to make the disk attach work, otherwise it was almost there (less sdcard) with a current from Friday.

-Søren

> On 11 Jun 2019, at 00.01, Luiz Otavio O Souza <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 2 Jun 2019 at 13:41, Søren Schmidt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> [...]
>> mountroot>
>>
>> However, the MMC/SDcard fails to be found so it will stop at mounting root.
>>
>> Having a disk on the SATA port can make it work from there though.
>>
>> The etherswitch is not found, but the single “nata” port does show up..
>>
>> All in all the support is barely enough to boot a kernel, but a long way from being useful.
>>
>> You can use 12-stable as well, the same support seems to be present there, and its much more stable, -current as is today panics…
>>
>> Oh, and you need to get the “right” .dtb file, otherwise you get panic’s etc.
>>

> I've fixed the SD Card detection issue in r348882 and also the panic
> in -current.
>
> Now you should be able to boot the espressobin with -current without
> any changes.
>
> The correct DTS (to use) is in
> sys/gnu/dts/arm64/marvell/armada-3720-espressobin.dts.
>
> With this DTS the switch will work (also fixed and improved recently,
> more to come..).
>
> Let me know how it goes.
>
> Luiz

Re: Espressobin anyone ?

Søren Schmidt-4
Hi

That does the trick, I now have my SDcard found and can boot and run from it.

However, there is still the problem with currdev not be set. I instrumented the loader a bit:

Consoles: EFI console
    Reading loader env vars from /efi/freebsd/loader.env
efiblk_get_pdinfo_by_handle failed
stat /efi/freebsd/loader.env failed
FreeBSD/arm64 EFI loader, Revision 1.1

However the file is there and readable:

/efi/boot:
total 16
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  15946 Jun 10 14:29 armada-3720-espressobin.dtb

/efi/freebsd:
total 536
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  543176 Jun 10 14:29 loader.efi
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel      16 Jun 10 14:29 loader.env

Setting it manually to disk0p2 makes boot possible.

Also I needed this patch to get t he SATA driver detected, otherwise it fails with error 6.

Index: armada-37xx.dtsi
--- armada-37xx.dtsi (revision 348892)
+++ armada-37xx.dtsi (working copy)
@@ -443,7 +443,7 @@

  sata: sata@e0000 {
  compatible = "marvell,armada-3700-ahci";
- reg = <0xe0000 0x178>;
+ reg = <0xe0000 0x2000>;
  interrupts = <GIC_SPI 27 IRQ_TYPE_LEVEL_HIGH>;
  clocks = <&nb_periph_clk 1>;
  status = "disabled";

Both are easily worked around, and I can get on with the project this was acquired for, thanks for getting this fixed!

Any plans to get it MFC’d back to 12stable ? Otherwise I might look into that as that’s what we use here…

-Søren

> On 11 Jun 2019, at 07.48, Søren Schmidt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Excelent ! I’ll try that out when I get back home today.
> I had a small fix to the sata target in the DTS in order to make the disk attach work, otherwise it was almost there (less sdcard) with a current from Friday.
>
> -Søren
>

>> On 11 Jun 2019, at 00.01, Luiz Otavio O Souza <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> On Sun, 2 Jun 2019 at 13:41, Søren Schmidt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> mountroot>
>>>
>>> However, the MMC/SDcard fails to be found so it will stop at mounting root.
>>>
>>> Having a disk on the SATA port can make it work from there though.
>>>
>>> The etherswitch is not found, but the single “nata” port does show up..
>>>
>>> All in all the support is barely enough to boot a kernel, but a long way from being useful.
>>>
>>> You can use 12-stable as well, the same support seems to be present there, and its much more stable, -current as is today panics…
>>>
>>> Oh, and you need to get the “right” .dtb file, otherwise you get panic’s etc.
>>>

>> I've fixed the SD Card detection issue in r348882 and also the panic
>> in -current.
>>
>> Now you should be able to boot the espressobin with -current without
>> any changes.
>>
>> The correct DTS (to use) is in
>> sys/gnu/dts/arm64/marvell/armada-3720-espressobin.dts.
>>
>> With this DTS the switch will work (also fixed and improved recently,
>> more to come..).
>>
>> Let me know how it goes.
>>
>> Luiz

Re: Espressobin anyone ?

freebsd-arm mailing list
Hi

I received my Espressobin yesterday and tried to get FreeBSD running.
Unfortunately I'm always stuck at the following:

/boot/kernel/kernel text=0x94d3ac data=0x191d50+0x84ae94
syms=[0x8+0x13abb0+0x8+0x1260a6]
No valid device tree blob found!
WARNING! Trying to fire up the kernel, but no device tree blob found!

Is there a chance that I got the wrong dtb file? Where did you get yours
from?

Johannes

--
Sent from: http://freebsd.1045724.x6.nabble.com/freebsd-arm-f4199244.html

Re: Espressobin anyone ?

Søren Schmidt-3
Hi

You need to build the .dtb file from what is in the source tree, not one obtained from the net.

I should work in -current (not tried, I use a heavy modified 12-stable).

You should modify your env in the onboard u-boot to load the right kernel and dtb.

Something like:

setenv fdt_name 'efi/boot/armada-3720-espressobin.dtb'
setenv image_name 'efi/freebsd/loader.efi'
setenv bootcmd 'mmc dev 0; fatload mmc 0:1 $kernel_addr $image_name;fatload mmc 0:1 $fdt_addr $fdt_name; bootefi $kernel_addr $fdt_addr'

-Søren

> On 10 Aug 2019, at 13.13, tscho via freebsd-arm <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> I received my Espressobin yesterday and tried to get FreeBSD running.
> Unfortunately I'm always stuck at the following:
>
> /boot/kernel/kernel text=0x94d3ac data=0x191d50+0x84ae94
> syms=[0x8+0x13abb0+0x8+0x1260a6]
> No valid device tree blob found!
> WARNING! Trying to fire up the kernel, but no device tree blob found!
>
> Is there a chance that I got the wrong dtb file? Where did you get yours
> from?
>
> Johannes
>

> --
> Sent from: http://freebsd.1045724.x6.nabble.com/freebsd-arm-f4199244.html

Re: Espressobin anyone ?

Mit Matelske
I'm having a couple little hiccups booting this board also.  One has been commented on already, that I can't get the loader to automatically start loading the kernel on "disk0p2"...

The second, is that the kernel can't find the SD card after booting so it can't mount the root filesystem.  I'm using the dts/dtb and kernel from the 13-current branch.

Thanks for any and all help.  I haven't used u-boot in about decade.  Spoiled by the x86 platform.

Mit Matelske

***U-boot environment:***

Marvell>> printenv
baudrate=115200
bootargs=console=ttyMV0,115200 earlycon=ar3700_uart,0xd0012000 root=/dev/mmcblk0p1 rw rootwait net.ifnames=0 biosdevname=0
bootcmd=mmc dev 0; fatload mmc 0:1 $kernel_addr $image_name;fatload mmc 0:1 $fdt_addr $fdt_name; bootefi $kernel_addr $fdt_addr
bootdelay=2
bootmmc=mmc dev 0; fatload mmc 0:1 $kernel_addr $image_name;fatload mmc 0:1 $fdt_addr $fdt_name; bootefi $kernel_addr $fdt_addr
console=console=ttyMV0,115200 earlycon=ar3700_uart,0xd0012000
eth1addr=00:51:82:11:22:01
eth2addr=00:51:82:11:22:02
eth3addr=00:51:82:11:22:03
ethact=neta@30000
ethaddr=F0:AD:4E:09:6B:8F
ethprime=eth0
fdt_addr=0x4f00000
fdt_high=0xffffffffffffffff
fdt_name=efi/boot/armada-3720-espressobin.dtb
fdtcontroladdr=3f7161b8
gatewayip=10.4.50.254
get_images=tftpboot $kernel_addr $image_name; tftpboot $fdt_addr $fdt_name; run get_ramfs
get_ramfs=if test "${ramfs_name}" != "-"; then setenv ramfs_addr 0x8000000; tftpboot $ramfs_addr $ramfs_name; else setenv ramfs_addr -;fi
hostname=marvell
image_name=efi/freebsd/loader.efi
initrd_addr=0xa00000
initrd_size=0x2000000
ipaddr=0.0.0.0
kernel_addr=0x5000000
loadaddr=0x5000000
netdev=eth0
netmask=255.255.255.0
ramfs_addr=0x8000000
ramfs_name=-
root=root=/dev/nfs rw
rootpath=/srv/nfs/
serverip=0.0.0.0
set_bootargs=setenv bootargs $console $root ip=$ipaddr:$serverip:$gatewayip:$netmask:$hostname:$netdev:none nfsroot=$serverip:$rootpath $extra_params
stderr=serial@12000
stdin=serial@12000
stdout=serial@12000

***Full boot logs:***

U-Boot 2017.03-armada-17.10.2-g14aeedc (Jun 01 2018 - 15:39:10 +0800)

Model: Marvell Armada 3720 Community Board ESPRESSOBin
       CPU    @ 1000 [MHz]
       L2     @ 800 [MHz]
       TClock @ 200 [MHz]
       DDR    @ 800 [MHz]
DRAM:  1 GiB
U-Boot DT blob at : 000000003f7161b8
Comphy-0: USB3          5 Gbps
Comphy-1: PEX0          2.5 Gbps
Comphy-2: SATA0         6 Gbps
SATA link 0 timeout.
AHCI 0001.0300 32 slots 1 ports 6 Gbps 0x1 impl SATA mode
flags: ncq led only pmp fbss pio slum part sxs
PCIE-0: Link down
MMC:   sdhci@d0000: 0, sdhci@d8000: 1
SF: Detected mx25u3235f with page size 256 Bytes, erase size 64 KiB, total 4 MiB
Net:   eth0: neta@30000 [PRIME]
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
switch to partitions #0, OK
mmc0 is current device
reading efi/freebsd/loader.efi
603872 bytes read in 49 ms (11.8 MiB/s)
reading efi/boot/armada-3720-espressobin.dtb
15946 bytes read in 17 ms (916 KiB/s)
## Starting EFI application at 05000000 ...
Scanning disk [hidden email]...
Card did not respond to voltage select!
mmc_init: -95, time 50
Found 1 disks
Consoles: EFI console
FreeBSD/arm64 EFI loader, Revision 1.1

   Command line arguments: loader.efi
   EFI version: 2.05
   EFI Firmware: Das U-boot (rev 0.00)
   Console: efi (0)
Failed to find bootable partition
Startup error in /boot/lua/loader.lua: seconds
LUA ERROR: cannot open /boot/lua/loader.lua: invalid argument.

can't load 'kernel'

Type '?' for a list of commands, 'help' for more detailed help.
OK
OK set currdev=disk0p2
OK boot

/boot/kernel/kernel text=0x97d6a0 data=0x191b50+0x84ae94 syms=[0x8+0x137dd8+0x8+0x126260]
Using DTB provided by EFI at 0x8000000.
---<<BOOT>>---
KDB: debugger backends: ddb
KDB: current backend: ddb
Copyright (c) 1992-2019 The FreeBSD Project.
Copyright (c) 1979, 1980, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994
        The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
FreeBSD is a registered trademark of The FreeBSD Foundation.
FreeBSD 13.0-CURRENT GENERIC arm64
FreeBSD clang version 6.0.1 (tags/RELEASE_601/final 335540) (based on LLVM 6.0.1)
WARNING: WITNESS option enabled, expect reduced performance.
VT: init without driver.
Starting CPU 1 (1)
FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor System Detected: 2 CPUs
arc4random: WARNING: initial seeding bypassed the cryptographic random device because it was not yet seeded and the knob 'bypass_before_seeding' was enabled.
random: entropy device external interface
MAP 3e681000 mode 2 pages 1
MAP 3ffa6000 mode 2 pages 1
kbd0 at kbdmux0
ofwbus0: <Open Firmware Device Tree>
simplebus0: <Flattened device tree simple bus> on ofwbus0
simplebus1: <Flattened device tree simple bus> on simplebus0
simple_mfd0: <Simple MFD (Multi-Functions Device)> mem 0x13800-0x138ff,0x13c00-0x13c1f on simplebus1
simple_mfd1: <Simple MFD (Multi-Functions Device)> mem 0x18800-0x188ff,0x18c00-0x18c1f on simplebus1
psci0: <ARM Power State Co-ordination Interface Driver> on ofwbus0
gic0: <ARM Generic Interrupt Controller v3.0> mem 0x1d00000-0x1d0ffff,0x1d40000-0x1d7ffff,0x1d80000-0x1d81fff,0x1d90000-0x1d91fff,0x1da0000-0x1dbffff irq 27 on simplebus1
gpio0: <Armada 37x0 North Bridge GPIO Controller> mem 0x13800-0x138ff,0x13c00-0x13c1f irq 28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39 on simple_mfd0
gpio0: cannot allocate memory window
device_attach: gpio0 attach returned 6
gpio0: <Armada 37x0 South Bridge GPIO Controller> mem 0x18800-0x188ff,0x18c00-0x18c1f irq 40,41,42,43,44 on simple_mfd1
gpio0: cannot allocate memory window
device_attach: gpio0 attach returned 6
gpioregulator0: <GPIO controlled regulator> on ofwbus0
gpioregulator0: cannot get pin 0
gpioregulator0: cannot parse parameters
device_attach: gpioregulator0 attach returned 6
[...]
pmu0: <Performance Monitoring Unit> irq 4 on ofwbus0
syscon_generic0: <syscon> mem 0xd000-0xdfff on simplebus1
syscon_generic1: <syscon> mem 0x11500-0x1153f on simplebus1
uart0: <Marvell Armada 3700 UART> mem 0x12000-0x121ff irq 9,10,11 on simplebus1
uart0: console (115200,n,8,1)
gpio0: <Armada 37x0 North Bridge GPIO Controller> mem 0x13800-0x138ff,0x13c00-0x13c1f irq 28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39 on simple_mfd0
gpio0: cannot allocate memory window
device_attach: gpio0 attach returned 6
syscon_generic2: <syscon> mem 0x14000-0x1405f on simplebus1
gpio0: <Armada 37x0 South Bridge GPIO Controller> mem 0x18800-0x188ff,0x18c00-0x18c1f irq 40,41,42,43,44 on simple_mfd1
gpio0: cannot allocate memory window
device_attach: gpio0 attach returned 6
mvneta0: <NETA controller> mem 0x30000-0x33fff irq 14 on simplebus1
mvneta0: version is 10
mvneta0: Ethernet address: 00:a6:39:ca:e8:00
mdio0: <MDIO> on mvneta0
mdioproxy0: <MII/MDIO proxy, MDIO side> on mdio0
e6000sw0: <Marvell 88E6341> on mdio0
e6000sw0: multi-chip addressing mode (0x1)
e6000sw0: CPU port at 0
e6000sw0: fixed port at 0
e6000sw0: PHY at port 1
miibus0: <MII bus> on e6000sw0
e1000phy0: <Marvell 88E1000 Gigabit PHY> PHY 17 on miibus0
e1000phy0:  none, 10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, 1000baseT, 1000baseT-master, 1000baseT-FDX, 1000baseT-FDX-master, auto
e6000sw0: PHY at port 2
miibus1: <MII bus> on e6000sw0
e1000phy1: <Marvell 88E1000 Gigabit PHY> PHY 18 on miibus1
e1000phy1:  none, 10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, 1000baseT, 1000baseT-master, 1000baseT-FDX, 1000baseT-FDX-master, auto
e6000sw0: PHY at port 3
miibus2: <MII bus> on e6000sw0
e1000phy2: <Marvell 88E1000 Gigabit PHY> PHY 19 on miibus2
e1000phy2:  none, 10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, 1000baseT, 1000baseT-master, 1000baseT-FDX, 1000baseT-FDX-master, auto
e6000sw0: switch is ready.
etherswitch0: <Switch controller> on e6000sw0
xhci0: <Generic USB 3.0 controller> mem 0x58000-0x5bfff irq 16 on simplebus1
xhci0: 32 bytes context size, 32-bit DMA
usbus0 on xhci0
syscon_generic3: <syscon> mem 0x5d800-0x5dfff on simplebus1
ehci0: <Marvell Integrated USB 2.0 controller> mem 0x5e000-0x5efff irq 17 on simplebus1
usbus1: EHCI version 1.0
usbus1 on ehci0
syscon_generic4: <syscon> mem 0x5f800-0x5ffff on simplebus1
sdhci_xenon0: <Armada Xenon SDHCI controller> mem 0xd0000-0xd02ff,0x1e808-0x1e80b irq 24 on simplebus1
ahci0: <AHCI SATA controller> mem 0xe0000-0xe0177 irq 26 on simplebus1
ahci0: AHCI v1.30 with 1 6Gbps ports, Port Multiplier supported with FBS
ahcich0: <AHCI channel> at channel 0 on ahci0
device_attach: ahcich0 attach returned 6
gpioregulator0: <GPIO controlled regulator> on ofwbus0
gpioregulator0: cannot get pin 0
gpioregulator0: cannot parse parameters
device_attach: gpioregulator0 attach returned 6
cryptosoft0: <software crypto>
Timecounters tick every 1.000 msec
mvneta0: link state changed to UP
e6000sw0port1: link state changed to DOWN
e6000sw0port2: link state changed to DOWN
e6000sw0port3: link state changed to DOWN
[...]

uhub0 on usbus0
uhub1 on usbus1
[...]

List of GEOM managed disk devices:

mountroot>

Re: Espressobin anyone ?

Søren Schmidt-3
Hi

Looks like your sources may be too old, you need to be at least at r348882 to get the fix for the SD card VCC regulator.

That change fixed it for me backported to 12-stable...

The currdev problem still exists, I have it hardwired in my loader for aarch64 :)

-Søren

> [...]
> uhub1: <Marvell EHCI root HUB, class 9/0, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 1> on usbus1
> uhub0: 2 ports with 2 removable, self powered
> uhub1: 1 port with 1 removable, self powered
> mountroot: waiting for device /dev/ufs/FreeBSD_Install...
> Mounting from ufs:/dev/ufs/FreeBSD_Install failed with error 19.
>
> Loader variables:
>  vfs.root.mountfrom=ufs:/dev/ufs/FreeBSD_Install
>  vfs.root.mountfrom.options=ro,noatime
>
> Manual root filesystem specification:
>  <fstype>:<device> [options]
>      Mount <device> using filesystem <fstype>
>      and with the specified (optional) option list.
>
>    eg. ufs:/dev/da0s1a
>        zfs:zroot/ROOT/default
>        cd9660:/dev/cd0 ro
>          (which is equivalent to: mount -t cd9660 -o ro /dev/cd0 /)
>
>  ?               List valid disk boot devices
>  .               Yield 1 second (for background tasks)

Re: Espressobin anyone ?

Mit Matelske

Soren-

Thanks for the quick response.  I built this kernel with revision 350924.  I'll dig into whats going on in the morning.

Mind posting your diff for your loader.efi?

Thanks again!

Mit

> [...]

> uhub1: <Marvell EHCI root HUB, class 9/0, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 1> on usbus1
> uhub0: 2 ports with 2 removable, self powered
> uhub1: 1 port with 1 removable, self powered
> mountroot: waiting for device /dev/ufs/FreeBSD_Install...
> Mounting from ufs:/dev/ufs/FreeBSD_Install failed with error 19.
>
> Loader variables:
>  vfs.root.mountfrom=ufs:/dev/ufs/FreeBSD_Install
>  vfs.root.mountfrom.options=ro,noatime
>
> Manual root filesystem specification:
>  <fstype>:<device> [options]
>      Mount <device> using filesystem <fstype>
>      and with the specified (optional) option list.
>
>    eg. ufs:/dev/da0s1a
>        zfs:zroot/ROOT/default
>        cd9660:/dev/cd0 ro
>          (which is equivalent to: mount -t cd9660 -o ro /dev/cd0 /)
>
>  ?               List valid disk boot devices
>  .               Yield 1 second (for background tasks)

Re: Espressobin anyone ?

Marcin Wojtas
Hi,

Not sure if it's what you are looking for, but in order to autoboot, I
simply pass 'rootdev=diskXpY' in the bootargs variable. Here's example from
A3720-DB (same should work on EspressoBin):

Marvell>> set bootargs "rootdev=disk1p1";usb reset; fatload usb 0:1
${fdt_addr} armada-3720-db.dtb; fatload usb 0:1 ${kernel_addr}
boot/loader.efi; bootefi ${kernel_addr} ${fdt_addr}
resetting USB...
-  ______               ____   _____ _____
  |  ____|             |  _ \ / ____|  __ \
  | |___ _ __ ___  ___ | |_) | (___ | |  | |
  |  ___| '__/ _ \/ _ \|  _ < \___ \| |  | |
  | |   | | |  __/  __/| |_) |____) | |__| |
  | |   | | |    |    ||     |      |      |
  |_|   |_|  \___|\___||____/|_____/|_____/
                                                 ```
 `
 ╔═══════════Welcome to FreeBSD════════════╗    s` `.....---.......--.```
-/
 ║                                         ║    +o   .--`         /y:`
 +.
 ║  1. Boot Multi user [Enter]             ║     yo`:.            :o
 `+-
 ║  2. Boot Single user                    ║      y/               -/`   -o/
 ║  3. Escape to loader prompt             ║     .-
 ::/sy+:.
 ║  4. Reboot                              ║     /                     `--
 /
 ║                                         ║    `:
 :`
 :`
 ║  5. Kernel: default/kernel (1 of 1)     ║     /
 /
 ║  6. Boot Options                        ║     .-
 -.
 ║                                         ║      --                      -.
 ║                                         ║       `:`                  `:`
 ║                                         ║         .--             `--.
 ╚═════════════════════════════════════════╝            .---.....----.
   Autoboot in 9 seconds, hit [Enter] to boot or any other key to stop

/boot/kernel/kernel text=0x95047c data=0x1919d0+0x84aa94
syms=[0x8+0x13aaa8+0x8+0x12610d]
can't find '/boot/entropy'
Using DTB provided by EFI at 0x8000000.
---<<BOOT>>---
KDB: debugger backends: ddb
KDB: current backend: ddb
Copyright (c) 1992-2019 The FreeBSD Project.
Copyright (c) 1979, 1980, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994
The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
FreeBSD is a registered trademark of The FreeBSD Foundation.
FreeBSD 13.0-CURRENT 17a1fc80d57-c261519(upstream_master) GENERIC arm64

pon., 12 sie 2019 o 23:14 Mit Matelske <[hidden email]> napisał(a):

> Soren-
>
> Thanks for the quick response.  I built this kernel with revision 350924.
> I'll dig into whats going on in the morning.
>
> Mind posting your diff for your loader.efi?
>
> Thanks again!
>
> Mit

1234