Extremely slow write speeds to disk : FreeBSD 7.1 and Dell SAS 6/iR Adapter

Extremely slow write speeds to disk : FreeBSD 7.1 and Dell SAS 6/iR Adapter

Bradley Radjoo
Greetings,

Please can you assist.

I have attempted most of the popular BSD Variants such as NetBSD, Open
BSD, FreeBSD...
The only distrubution that seems to work on the is Dell SAS 6/iR Adapter
is FreeBSD 7.1
Firmware version & date : 9/29/2008 00.25.47.00

But the issue is that writing to disk is extremely slow...i.e. 14Mb per
second....

If I install any other linux distribution, like CentOS, write speek is
the way it should be..it averages around 190Mb+ per second

I was hoping if it were at all possible for you to assist me in with a
later RAID Controller Driver for the SAS 6/iR Adapter

This is on a Dell PowerEdge R300 Server.
BIOS Version 1.3.0
Running Raid 1 (ext3)

NOTE :

- Disabling ACPI does not make a difference
- I do have the latest Firmware across the hardware

Kind Regards,

Bradley

Please note: This email and its content are subject to the disclaimer as displayed at the following link http://www.is.co.za/legal/E-mail+Confidentiality+Notice+and+Disclaimer.htm. Should you not have Web access, send a mail to [hidden email] and a copy will be emailed to you.

RE: Extremely slow write speeds to disk : FreeBSD 7.1 and Dell SAS 6/iR Adapter

Markus Kovero-3
Hi, have you tried difference between UP and SMP kernels, years ago there
were serious performance hit with SMP-kernel and adaptec/dell perc

Yours
Markus Kovero

Re: Extremely slow write speeds to disk : FreeBSD 7.1 and Dell SAS 6/iR Adapter

Richard Tector
Bradley Radjoo wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Please can you assist.
>
> I have attempted most of the popular BSD Variants such as NetBSD, Open
> BSD, FreeBSD...
> The only distrubution that seems to work on the is Dell SAS 6/iR Adapter
> is FreeBSD 7.1
> Firmware version & date : 9/29/2008 00.25.47.00
>
> But the issue is that writing to disk is extremely slow...i.e. 14Mb per
> second....
>
> If I install any other linux distribution, like CentOS, write speek is
> the way it should be..it averages around 190Mb+ per second
>
> I was hoping if it were at all possible for you to assist me in with a
> later RAID Controller Driver for the SAS 6/iR Adapter

Try:
hw.mpt.enable_sata_wc=1
in /boot/loader.conf and reboot.

Assuming you are using SATA drives, the write cache is disabled by
default. This reenables it. The mpt manpage holds more information.

Regards,

Richard

RE: Extremely slow write speeds to disk : FreeBSD 7.1 and Dell SAS 6/iR Adapter

Bradley Radjoo
Thanks very much Richard,
(They are 2 X 73Gig Ultra 320 scsi SAS drives)

BUT seems that even with the UP kernel, I still get issues..
This is what I see in dmesg :

mpt0: <LSILogic SAS/SATA Adapter> port 0xec00-0xecff mem
0xdfcec000-0xdfceffff,0xdfcf0000-0xdfcfffff irq 15 at device 0.0 on pci5
mpt0: [ITHREAD]
mpt0: MPI Version=1.5.18.0
mpt0: mpt_wait_req(6) timed out
mpt0: port 0 enable timed out
mpt0: failed to enable port 0
mpt0: unable to initialize IOC
da0 at mpt0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
ses0 at mpt0 bus 0 target 8 lun 0

Please can you assist and advise

> I have attempted most of the popular BSD Variants such as NetBSD, Open
> BSD, FreeBSD...
> The only distrubution that seems to work on the is Dell SAS 6/iR
Adapter
> is FreeBSD 7.1
> Firmware version & date : 9/29/2008 00.25.47.00
>
> But the issue is that writing to disk is extremely slow...i.e. 14Mb
per
> second....
>
> If I install any other linux distribution, like CentOS, write speek is
> the way it should be..it averages around 190Mb+ per second
>
> I was hoping if it were at all possible for you to assist me in with a
> later RAID Controller Driver for the SAS 6/iR Adapter

Try:
hw.mpt.enable_sata_wc=1
in /boot/loader.conf and reboot.

Assuming you are using SATA drives, the write cache is disabled by
default. This reenables it. The mpt manpage holds more information.

Regards,

Richard
Please note: This email and its content are subject to the disclaimer as displayed at the following link http://www.is.co.za/legal/E-mail+Confidentiality+Notice+and+Disclaimer.htm. Should you not have Web access, send a mail to [hidden email] and a copy will be emailed to you.

Re: Extremely slow write speeds to disk : FreeBSD 7.1 and Dell SAS 6/iR Adapter

O. Hartmann-4
Bradley Radjoo wrote:

> Thanks very much Richard,
> (They are 2 X 73Gig Ultra 320 scsi SAS drives)
>
> BUT seems that even with the UP kernel, I still get issues..
> This is what I see in dmesg :
>
> mpt0: <LSILogic SAS/SATA Adapter> port 0xec00-0xecff mem
> 0xdfcec000-0xdfceffff,0xdfcf0000-0xdfcfffff irq 15 at device 0.0 on pci5
> mpt0: [ITHREAD]
> mpt0: MPI Version=1.5.18.0
> mpt0: mpt_wait_req(6) timed out
> mpt0: port 0 enable timed out
> mpt0: failed to enable port 0
> mpt0: unable to initialize IOC
> da0 at mpt0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
> ses0 at mpt0 bus 0 target 8 lun 0
>
> Please can you assist and advise

We're using a Dell 1950-III Poweredge server with two XEON 4-Core-CPUs
and at the momen one 750GB SATA drive.
This box suffers from incredible slow drive access speeds -
approximately a half of what I see on other boxes around.

When I read this posting I was quite happy having found a possible
solution, but I can't find the above mentioned OID, FreeBSD
8.0-CURRENT/amd64 (running on this box) shows only "hw.ata.wc: 1" as
a relevant OID. No hw.mpt.XXX OIDs anywere. This is the part from DMESG
reflecting MPT:

mpt0: <LSILogic SAS/SATA Adapter> port 0xec00-0xecff mem
0xfc4fc000-0xfc4fffff,0xfc4e0000-0xfc4effff irq 16 at device 0.0 on pci1
mpt0: [ITHREAD]
mpt0: MPI Version=1.5.14.0
mpt0: Capabilities: ( RAID-0 RAID-1E RAID-1 )
mpt0: 0 Active Volumes (2 Max)
mpt0: 0 Hidden Drive Members (14 Max)

I can not tell you, at this very moment, what configuration has been
done in the BIOS. The SATA HD is recognized as da0:

da0 at mpt0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
da0: <ATA Hitachi HUA72107 A74A> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-5 device
da0: 300.000MB/s transfers
da0: Command Queueing Enabled
da0: 715404MB (1465149168 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 91201C)

Maybe someon can followup on this if there is some kind of issue ...

Thanks in advance,
Oliver

O. Hartmann wrote:
> When I read this posting I was quite happy having found a possible
> solution, but I can't find the above mentioned OID, FreeBSD
> 8.0-CURRENT/amd64 (running on this box) shows only "hw.ata.wc: 1" as
> a relevant OID. No hw.mpt.XXX OIDs anywere. This is the part from DMESG
> reflecting MPT:

It's a driver tunable, not a sysctl.

Richard

Bradley Radjoo wrote:
> Thanks very much Richard,
> (They are 2 X 73Gig Ultra 320 scsi SAS drives)

No idea then, sorry. But I do have 3 R200's which also use the SAS6
controller due to arrive tomorrow, so I'll see what results I get.

Richard

RE: Extremely slow write speeds to disk : FreeBSD 7.1 and Dell SAS 6/iR Adapter

Bradley Radjoo
Indeed, driver tunable ;-)

All the best Richard, would like to know it goes

Bradley

> (They are 2 X 73Gig Ultra 320 scsi SAS drives)

No idea then, sorry. But I do have 3 R200's which also use the SAS6
controller due to arrive tomorrow, so I'll see what results I get.

Richard
Please note: This email and its content are subject to the disclaimer as displayed at the following link http://www.is.co.za/legal/E-mail+Confidentiality+Notice+and+Disclaimer.htm. Should you not have Web access, send a mail to [hidden email] and a copy will be emailed to you.

Re: Extremely slow write speeds to disk : FreeBSD 7.1 and Dell SAS 6/iR Adapter

Hartmann, O.
Richard Tector wrote:

> O. Hartmann wrote:
>> When I read this posting I was quite happy having found a possible
>> solution, but I can't find the above mentioned OID, FreeBSD
>> 8.0-CURRENT/amd64 (running on this box) shows only "hw.ata.wc: 1" as
>> a relevant OID. No hw.mpt.XXX OIDs anywere. This is the part from
>> DMESG reflecting MPT:
>>

> It's a driver tunable, not a sysctl.
>
> Richard
Oh, thanks, I forgot.

Re: Extremely slow write speeds to disk : FreeBSD 7.1 and Dell SAS 6/iR Adapter

dieter-7
> > But the issue is that writing to disk is extremely slow...i.e. 14Mb per
> > second....
> >
> > If I install any other linux distribution, like CentOS, write speek is
> > the way it should be..it averages around 190Mb+ per second
> >
> > I was hoping if it were at all possible for you to assist me in with a
> > later RAID Controller Driver for the SAS 6/iR Adapter
>
> Try:
> hw.mpt.enable_sata_wc=1
> in /boot/loader.conf and reboot.
>
> Assuming you are using SATA drives, the write cache is disabled by
> default. This reenables it. The mpt manpage holds more information.

Just keep in mind that turning the disk's write cache on puts your
data at risk.  :-(

The correct solution is NCQ.

Re: Extremely slow write speeds to disk : FreeBSD 7.1 and Dell SAS 6/iR Adapter

Sebastiaan van Erk
Dieter wrote:

>>> But the issue is that writing to disk is extremely slow...i.e. 14Mb per
>>> second....
>>>
>>> If I install any other linux distribution, like CentOS, write speek is
>>> the way it should be..it averages around 190Mb+ per second
>>>
>>> I was hoping if it were at all possible for you to assist me in with a
>>> later RAID Controller Driver for the SAS 6/iR Adapter
>>>
>> Try:
>> hw.mpt.enable_sata_wc=1
>> in /boot/loader.conf and reboot.
>>
>> Assuming you are using SATA drives, the write cache is disabled by
>> default. This reenables it. The mpt manpage holds more information.
>>

> Just keep in mind that turning the disk's write cache on puts your
> data at risk.  :-(
>
> The correct solution is NCQ.
Just wondering, if you have a battery on your RAID array, is this a
problem? Wouldn't the cache get written anyway in case of a crash?

Regards,
Sebastiaan

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

Re: Extremely slow write speeds to disk : FreeBSD 7.1 and Dell SAS 6/iR Adapter

Tom Judge
Sebastiaan van Erk wrote:

>>> Try:
>>> hw.mpt.enable_sata_wc=1
>>> in /boot/loader.conf and reboot.
>>>
>>> Assuming you are using SATA drives, the write cache is disabled by
>>> default. This reenables it. The mpt manpage holds more information.
>>>

>> Just keep in mind that turning the disk's write cache on puts your
>> data at risk.  :-(
>>
>> The correct solution is NCQ.
> Just wondering, if you have a battery on your RAID array, is this a
> problem? Wouldn't the cache get written anyway in case of a crash?
>
> Regards,
> Sebastiaan
Hi,

hw.mpt.enable_sata_wc tunable enables the on disk write cache not the
controller write cache.

Tom