Ezjail

Brandon helsley
I installed and updated base jail with ezjail and then like the example in the handbook, created dnsjail with it's ip. I'm now needed to change the jail file in ezjail directory to a different ip address. What do I change it to and how do I do this? Can I get any help? Please?

Sent from Outlook Mobile<https://aka.ms/blhgte>

Re: Ezjail

Dirk Engling <Dirk Engling
On 30.04.20 17:30, Brandon helsley wrote:

> I installed and updated base jail with ezjail and then like the
> example in the handbook, created dnsjail with it's ip. I'm now needed
> to change the jail file in ezjail directory to a different ip
> address. What do I change it to and how do I do this? Can I get any
> help? Please?

Simplest is to (everything as root) just stop the jail via

ezjail-admin stop JAILNAME

then edit the file /usr/local/etc/ezjail/JAILNAME

and change the line with your original IP address:

jail_JAILNAME_ip="123.45.78.90"

or

jail_JAILNAME_ip="lo1|127.0.23.42"

and then run the jail again with

ezjail-admin start JAILNAME

Best

  erdgeist

Re: Ezjail

Mike Wayne
On Thu, Apr 30, 2020 at 03:30:59PM +0000, Brandon helsley wrote:

> I installed and updated base jail with ezjail and then like the
> example in the handbook, created dnsjail with it's ip. I'm now
> needed to change the jail file in ezjail directory to a different
> ip address. What do I change it to and how do I do this? Can I get
> any help? Please?

I'm glad you got an answer to this question but ezjail has a lot
of issues that do not look like they are going to be resolved anytime
soon. In particular, upgrading a binary installed jail created with
ezjail is not supported. Which means that once a jail is installed
with ezjail on a system without source code, it will likely NEVER
be updated.

I developed an entire system to deal with solving that specific
problem but it's clunky, messy and very fragile. While I was seeking
advice on some of the nuances involved, I exchanged email with
several very helpful people.

As a result, my suggestion is to use qjail instead of ezjail. It
DOES support updates on hosts & jails that are binary only. The
documentation is well above average and, if you run into complications,
you can get answers.  The one thing that I can not get working with
qjail that ezjail supports (with some hacks) is quotas. If you can
live without quotas and need UFS, qjail is the best solution.

If you are using ZFS (which I cannot), you might consider iocage
instead. Because it requires ZFS, it's a non-starter for me but
people whose opinion I respect speak highly of it.

Re: Ezjail

BulkMailForRudy

On 4/30/20 8:30 AM, Brandon helsley wrote:
> I installed and updated base jail with ezjail and then like the example in the handbook, created dnsjail with it's ip. I'm now needed to change the jail file in ezjail directory to a different ip address. What do I change it to and how do I do this? Can I get any help? Please?
>
> Sent from Outlook Mobile<https://aka.ms/blhgte>

Look into VNET and jail.conf for the ability to change IPs inside your
jail.  Search "vnet zfs jail" to get some HOW-TOs.

Rudy