FOSDEM 2017 - Distributions Devroom Call for Participation (new
The Distributions devroom will take place 4 February, 2017 at FOSDEM, in
room K.4.601 at Université Libre de Bruxelles, in Brussels, Belgium.
Distributions are more than just hosted collections of software from
upstreams. Each distribution is responsible for problem-solving in
testing, and releasing software as well as managing the lifecycle of
application in the collection. Additionally, distributions do very
work in ensuring that various versions of upstream software work well
and can co-exist. Distribution are also, often responsible, for
upstream software so that security fixes can be applied more quickly.
We welcome submissions targeted at contributors interested in issues
distributions, especially in the following topics:
- Managing Build/Test/Release processes around shared ideas and
- Lifecycle management, especially in the areas of sandboxing,
containerization, vendoring, and bundling
- Distribution construction tools and infrastructure development and
implementation (building, signing, testing, distribution, etc.)
- Cross-distribution collaboration on common issues, eg: content
infrastructure, and documentation
- Working with vendors and including them in the community
- Building trust and code relationships with the upstream components of
distribution and between distributions
- The future of distributions, emerging trends and evolving user demands
the idea of a platform
- The place of distributions in today's world (including concepts of
containerization, IoT, etc.)
- Onboarding new users and mentorship, facilitating technical growth
- Solving traditional problems like package management, and content
(eg. rpm/dpkg/ostree/coreos )
- Integration technologies like installers, deployment facilitation (
- Principals of Rolling Releases, Long Term Supported Releases (LTS),
gated releases, and calendar releases
Ideal submissions are actionable and opinionated. Submissions may be in
form of 25 or 50 minute talks, panel sessions, round-table discussions,
Birds of a Feather (BoF) sessions.
Due to popular demand, We are extending the CFP for the Distributions
Devroom until Friday 02-December-2016. We plan to maintain the rest of
the schedule (e.g. notification dates) as-is. We look forward to your
Submission Deadline: 02-Dec-2016
Acceptance Notification: 5-Dec-2016
Final Schedule Posted: 11-Dec-2016
How to submit
1.) If you do not have an account, create one here
2.) Click 'Create Event'
3.) Enter your presentation details
4.) Be sure to select the Distributions Devroom track!
What to include
- The title of your submission
- A 1-paragraph Abstract
- A longer description including the benefit of your talk to your target
audience, including a definition of your target audience.
- Approximate length / type of submission (talk, BoF, ...)
- Links to related websites/blogs/talk material (if any)
We will be live-streaming and recording the Distributions Devroom.
at FOSDEM implies permission to record your session and distribute the
recording afterwards. All videos will be made available under the
FOSDEM content license (CC-BY).
If you have any questions, feel free to contact the devroom organizers:
Brian Exelbierd (twitter: @bexelbie) and Brian Stinson (twitter:
for and on behalf of The Distributions Devroom Program Committee
[hidden email] mailing list
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
|Free forum by Nabble||Edit this page|