Fail to install the driver of the on-board LAN Card

Fail to install the driver of the on-board LAN Card

Johnie Wong
Dear All,

I am the user of FreeBSD 6.1. Recently, i buy a new server for my company
which is a Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 (1.86GHz) with Intel D946GZIS mainboard,
2GB Consair DDR2 Ram,  3Ware 9500S-4LP, and 4X Seagate 250GB SATA II
Harddrive. But when i install the on-board LAN card driver by activating the
default fxp option, it is invisible.

Here are my problems:

   1. Is Intel Core 2 Duo is now supported by 6.1?
   2. Is chipset 946 is now supported by 6.1?
   3. Why the fxp option being invisible in sysinstall screen?

I have searched around the Internet with google, but no answer. I hope the
experts from her can solve my problems. Thank you very much.

Johnie Wong

Re: Fail to install the driver of the on-board LAN Card

Darren Pilgrim-2
Johnie Wong wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I am the user of FreeBSD 6.1. Recently, i buy a new server for my
> company which is a Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 (1.86GHz) with Intel
> D946GZIS mainboard, 2GB Consair DDR2 Ram,  3Ware 9500S-4LP, and 4X
> Seagate 250GB SATA II Harddrive. But when i install the on-board LAN
> card driver by activating the default fxp option, it is invisible.

That board is really new, so I would guess you have a new network
controller with a PCI ID FreeBSD doesn't know about yet.  It's a pretty
common occurrence, especially with Intel NICs.  Post the complete output
of `pciconf -lv` (preferrably as an attached text file) and someone will
see if this is the case.

--
Darren Pilgrim

Re: Fail to install the driver of the on-board LAN Card

Jack Vogel
On 8/20/06, Darren Pilgrim <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Johnie Wong wrote:
> > Dear All,
> >
> > I am the user of FreeBSD 6.1. Recently, i buy a new server for my
> > company which is a Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 (1.86GHz) with Intel
> > D946GZIS mainboard, 2GB Consair DDR2 Ram,  3Ware 9500S-4LP, and 4X
> > Seagate 250GB SATA II Harddrive. But when i install the on-board LAN
> > card driver by activating the default fxp option, it is invisible.
>
> That board is really new, so I would guess you have a new network
> controller with a PCI ID FreeBSD doesn't know about yet.  It's a pretty
> common occurrence, especially with Intel NICs.  Post the complete output
> of `pciconf -lv` (preferrably as an attached text file) and someone will
> see if this is the case.

OK, this part is kinda different, it has a MAC thats the same as the E1000
boards but the PHY is 10/100, so guess what..... :)

You get to use the em driver, not the fxp.

The 6.1 RELEASE may not yet have support, but since they merged my
6.0.5 and 6.1.4 drivers with the STABLE tip of tree if you get that latest
driver it should work.

If not let me know,

Jack
Intel LAD