Fails to boot after buildworld

myfreebsd
Hey all,

I don't know if this is a bug somewhere in the source but my system will not boot after I buildworld FreeBSD 6.0. I get the error:

Can't work out which disk to boot from

This error occurs right after the loader is booted and before the FreeBSD menu. System of course stalls here and says to press a key to reboot.

I used the GENERIC kernel, empty loader.conf, my cvs tag = RELENG_6 and my make.conf has:

CPUTYPE?=pentium4
CFLAGS= -O2 -mmmx -msse -msse2 -pipe -funroll-loops -ffast-math
CXXFLAGS+= -fconserve-space
COPTFLAGS= -O2 -pipe -funroll-loops -ffast-math

System runs fine from install just fails after updating source and rebuilding "world".

System is:
Dell Dimension 9100
P4 3.0ghz HTT
1 20G IDE
2 150G SATA (RAID 1)

Any suggestions?

David

Re: Fails to boot after buildworld

Giorgos Keramidas
On 2005-11-09 20:53, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I don't know if this is a bug somewhere in the source but my
> system will not boot after I buildworld FreeBSD 6.0. I get the
> error:
>
> Can't work out which disk to boot from
>
> This error occurs right after the loader is booted and before
> the FreeBSD menu. System of course stalls here and says to
> press a key to reboot.
>
> I used the GENERIC kernel, empty loader.conf, my cvs tag =
> RELENG_6 and my make.conf has:
>
> CPUTYPE?=pentium4
> CFLAGS= -O2 -mmmx -msse -msse2 -pipe -funroll-loops -ffast-math
> CXXFLAGS+= -fconserve-space
> COPTFLAGS= -O2 -pipe -funroll-loops -ffast-math

Try without all those fancy optimizations.  There's a very good
comment in /usr/share/examples/etc/make.conf' which you may be
interested in reading carefully:

# CFLAGS controls the compiler settings used when compiling C code.
# Note that optimization settings other than -O and -O2 are not recommended
# or supported for compiling the world or the kernel - please revert any
# nonstandard optimization settings to "-O" or -O2 before submitting bug
# reports without patches to the developers.

- Giorgos

PS: Please, ignore the automatically forced 'footer' below.  It's
automatically added by the Exchange server I'm behind and has no
relation whatsoever to non-work email I post.

please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, do not forward
this email to any other person, delete this
e-mail and destroy all copies. Any dissemination or use of this
unauthorized and may be illegal.