Feedback on FreeBSD SD card benchmarking results

Feedback on FreeBSD SD card benchmarking results

Udit agarwal
Hi all,
I did some benchmarking of a sd card on freebsd 11.1  with my objective
being:

   - To determine the effect of filesystem on SD card's performance with
   two different drivers, SDHCI and SDIO driver.
   - To compare the performance of SDHCI and SDIO driver, under different
   conditions
   - To analyze the effect of disk caching on Linux and FreeBSD

Here are the results: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_
lf9S136z0tJyni9W3t1__Rlrkal1fd6L7-vnlmYQpc/edit?usp=sharing

I used IOZONE for benchmarking. However, it doesn't look like that i'm able
to analyze the performance of disk caching. Using the same command on linux
shows a wide variation after enabling/disabling disk caching, while on
freebsd it shows no variation(see test 3 graphs on spreadsheet shared)
that's wary!

Apart from the benchmark i used, In what other way i can estimate the
effect of disk caching on FreeBSD?

Regards,

Udit agarwal

Re: Feedback on FreeBSD SD card benchmarking results

Ganbold Tsagaankhuu-2
On Sun, May 13, 2018 at 1:43 PM, Udit agarwal <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I did some benchmarking of a sd card on freebsd 11.1  with my objective
> being:
>
>    - To determine the effect of filesystem on SD card's performance with
>    two different drivers, SDHCI and SDIO driver.
>    - To compare the performance of SDHCI and SDIO driver, under different
>    conditions
>    - To analyze the effect of disk caching on Linux and FreeBSD
>
> Here are the results: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_
> lf9S136z0tJyni9W3t1__Rlrkal1fd6L7-vnlmYQpc/edit?usp=sharing
>
> I used IOZONE for benchmarking. However, it doesn't look like that i'm able
> to analyze the performance of disk caching. Using the same command on linux
> shows a wide variation after enabling/disabling disk caching, while on
> freebsd it shows no variation(see test 3 graphs on spreadsheet shared)
> that's wary!
>
> Apart from the benchmark i used, In what other way i can estimate the
> effect of disk caching on FreeBSD?

Not sure whether it will help you or not, but you can try benchmarks/fio
also just to see the difference.

Ganbold