Few questions.

Its Azfar
I want to move my servers on freebsd from linux and I
need few information regarding freebsd
compatibilities.

1. What is the current status of freebsd compatibility
with Java.
2. What is the current status of freebsd compatibility
with MySQL.
3. What is the current status of freebsd compatibility
with SMP and Threading.

I am talking with respect to freebsd 5.4 or 6.0
releases.

These confilicts are delaying me to take any dicision.
I am looking for a deatoled response
Thanks.

RE: Few questions.

Darren Pilgrim
Its Azfar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I want to move my servers on freebsd from linux and I
> need few information regarding freebsd
> compatibilities.
>
> 1. What is the current status of freebsd compatibility
> with Java.

Multiple versions of Sun's JDK is available in the java/ directory of the
Ports Collection.  The FreeBSD Java Project, which is responsible for
porting Java to FreeBSD can be found at http://www.freebsd.org/java/.

> 2. What is the current status of freebsd compatibility
> with MySQL.

MySQL runs very well on FreeBSD.  Multiple MySQL server and client versions
are available in databases/ directory of the Ports Collection.  There is no
authoritative site for MySQL on FreeBSD to my knowledge, but installation is
very straight forward.

> 3. What is the current status of freebsd compatibility
> with SMP and Threading.

SMP with FreeBSD is extremely stable with both 5.x and 6.x.  Both schedulers
are good choices in the latest 5.x and 6.x, but I would recommend using the
4BSD scheduler over the ULE scheduler in a production environment.

There is an implementation of LinuxThreads available for FreeBSD.  You can
get it by installing the devel/linuxthreads port.  The MySQL ports have
options to let you build them with linuxthreads support.