Fiber channel driver for Broadcom/Emulex FC host bus adapters.

Fiber channel driver for Broadcom/Emulex FC host bus adapters.

freebsd-scsi mailing list
Hi all,

We are planning to upstream/inbox our FreeBSD cam driver which supports
Emulex FC host bus adapters (LPe16xx and LPe32xx family).

Please provide me the inputs on process of up-streaming driver. If you can
share any documents related to that will be of great help.

Note: Please correct me if I am posting the request on wrong mailing list.
If possible provide the maintainer contact.

Thanks,
Ram

Re: Fiber channel driver for Broadcom/Emulex FC host bus adapters.

Ken Merry
That is good news!  It will be good to have the driver in the tree.

As for how to get it into FreeBSD:

1. Make sure it is BSD-licsened.  GPLed code isn’t allowed in the kernel.  Other licenses (MIT, CDDL) might be possible.  Here is an example license:

https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/share/examples/etc/bsd-style-copyright?revision=180207&view=markup <https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/share/examples/etc/bsd-style-copyright?revision=180207&view=markup>

2. Get a committer to review it.  I can do that if you like.  I may still have some 16Gb boards from when I was reviewing the Emulex FC driver in 2012.

3. Once you get past the review, you can either have the committer put it in the tree, or wait until we get one or more Emulex developers approved as committers.  See #4.

4. Decide on one or more Emulex developers to maintain the driver as FreeBSD committers.  These should be people who are likely to stay on the project for a while, so new folks don’t need to be brought up to speed too often.  The new committers will need one or more current committers as mentors, and all commits will have to be approved until the mentor is satisfied that the new committer is ready to go on their own.  The committers’ guide will give you an idea of what is involved:

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/committers-guide/ <https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/committers-guide/>

The eventual goal will be to have one or more Emulex folks who are committers and can maintain the driver in the FreeBSD tree.

There are two FreeBSD committers (at least) from Broadcom, Steve McConnell and Kashyap Desai.  They work on the SAS and MegaRAID products.

As for timelines, we’re about to start the process for FreeBSD 11.1.  Depending on the state of the driver, it may be possible to get it into 11.1, but it’s hard to say that with any certainty until we see the driver.

Ken

Ken Merry
[hidden email]

> On May 11, 2017, at 10:16 AM, Ram Kishore Vegesna via freebsd-scsi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> We are planning to upstream/inbox our FreeBSD cam driver which supports
> Emulex FC host bus adapters (LPe16xx and LPe32xx family).
>
> Please provide me the inputs on process of up-streaming driver. If you can
> share any documents related to that will be of great help.
>
> Note: Please correct me if I am posting the request on wrong mailing list.
> If possible provide the maintainer contact.
>
> Thanks,
> Ram

Re: Fiber channel driver for Broadcom/Emulex FC host bus adapters.

freebsd-scsi mailing list
Hi Ken,

 Thanks for the quick response.

 I am working on restructuring the driver code which will be good for
integrating into FreeBSD. Will post the driver for review once its done.

-Ram

On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 12:33 AM, Ken Merry <[hidden email]> wrote:

> That is good news!  It will be good to have the driver in the tree.
>
> As for how to get it into FreeBSD:
>
> 1. Make sure it is BSD-licsened.  GPLed code isn’t allowed in the kernel.
> Other licenses (MIT, CDDL) might be possible.  Here is an example license:
>
> https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/share/examples/etc/
> bsd-style-copyright?revision=180207&view=markup
>
> 2. Get a committer to review it.  I can do that if you like.  I may still
> have some 16Gb boards from when I was reviewing the Emulex FC driver in
> 2012.
>
> 3. Once you get past the review, you can either have the committer put it
> in the tree, or wait until we get one or more Emulex developers approved as
> committers.  See #4.
>
> 4. Decide on one or more Emulex developers to maintain the driver as
> FreeBSD committers.  These should be people who are likely to stay on the
> project for a while, so new folks don’t need to be brought up to speed too
> often.  The new committers will need one or more current committers as
> mentors, and all commits will have to be approved until the mentor is
> satisfied that the new committer is ready to go on their own.  The
> committers’ guide will give you an idea of what is involved:
>
> https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/committers-guide/
>
> The eventual goal will be to have one or more Emulex folks who are
> committers and can maintain the driver in the FreeBSD tree.
>
> There are two FreeBSD committers (at least) from Broadcom, Steve McConnell
> and Kashyap Desai.  They work on the SAS and MegaRAID products.
>
> As for timelines, we’re about to start the process for FreeBSD 11.1.
> Depending on the state of the driver, it may be possible to get it into
> 11.1, but it’s hard to say that with any certainty until we see the driver.
>
> Ken
> —
> Ken Merry
> [hidden email]
>

> On May 11, 2017, at 10:16 AM, Ram Kishore Vegesna via freebsd-scsi <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> We are planning to upstream/inbox our FreeBSD cam driver which supports
> Emulex FC host bus adapters (LPe16xx and LPe32xx family).
>
> Please provide me the inputs on process of up-streaming driver. If you can
> share any documents related to that will be of great help.
>
> Note: Please correct me if I am posting the request on wrong mailing list.
> If possible provide the maintainer contact.
>
> Thanks,
> Ram

Re: Fiber channel driver for Broadcom/Emulex FC host bus adapters.

freebsd-scsi mailing list
Hi Ram,

Great to hear.  Might I suggest that you post the code for review via the Phabricator system?  Instructions
for doing this are here:

https://wiki.freebsd.org/Phabricator

Thanks,
Scott

> [...]
>>
>> Ken
>> —
>> Ken Merry
>> [hidden email]
>>

>> On May 11, 2017, at 10:16 AM, Ram Kishore Vegesna via freebsd-scsi <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> We are planning to upstream/inbox our FreeBSD cam driver which supports
>> Emulex FC host bus adapters (LPe16xx and LPe32xx family).
>>
>> Please provide me the inputs on process of up-streaming driver. If you can
>> share any documents related to that will be of great help.
>>
>> Note: Please correct me if I am posting the request on wrong mailing list.
>> If possible provide the maintainer contact.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ram

Re: Fiber channel driver for Broadcom/Emulex FC host bus adapters.

Thanks Scott, will post the code via the Phabricator system.