Free BSD Installation - Boot-able USB

Ravi Raj
Hi

I want to download & install Free BSD 11.2 (Full i.e. Administration &
Developer Edition) to my Laptop. As my Laptop has only USB drives,
please let me know which files to Download? If a download manager or
torrent is available, I would prefer that!

Also, please let me know the procedure for:

1) Making a Boot-able USB drive for installation.

2) Actual Installation.

Thanks

Ravi Raj

+91-8800404712

Re: Free BSD Installation - Boot-able USB

Matthew Seaman-5
On 19/11/2018 10:48, Ravi Raj wrote:
> I want to download & install Free BSD 11.2 (Full i.e. Administration &
> Developer Edition) to my Laptop. As my Laptop has only USB drives,
> please let me know which files to Download? If a download manager or
> torrent is available, I would prefer that!

This is a question that is more appropriate for the freebsd-questions@ list.

Yes, FreeBSD by default contains all of the necessary ingredients to
rebuild the system from source code and to do the initial installation
and administration of a machine.  Be aware that by default you will see
a command-line interface only: graphical adminstration tools exist, but
the graphical environment is not included in the install media.  You can
set that up after the basic install though, but it does depend on
exactly what sort of laptop you have whether there is all the necessary
hardware support available to run the graphics.

To install from eg. a USB key, download the image here:

http://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/ISO-IMAGES/11.2/FreeBSD-11.2-RELEASE-amd64-memstick.img

and then follow the instructions here for writing that to a USB key:

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/bsdinstall-pre.html#bsdinstall-usb

We experimented with providing official FreeBSD torrents a while back,
but I don't believe they are currently available.  Best to download an
official image via HTTP or FTP.

> Also, please let me know the procedure for:
>
> 1) Making a Boot-able USB drive for installation.
>
> 2) Actual Installation.

The Handbook is your friend:

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/bsdinstall.html

If you run into any problems, please ask via the
[hidden email] list.

        Cheers,

        Matthew

Re: Free BSD Installation - Boot-able USB

Ravi Raj
Hi

In reference email communication below I am attaching screen-shot with
this email. I also shared the same using Drop Box link.

Thanks

Ravi Raj

+91-8800404712