FreeBSD Port: iwi-firmware-2.4_7

Joey Mingrone
Hi:

I'm trying to get an INTEL 2200 wireless card working, but when I try
to install either the iwi-firmware-kmod or the iwi-firmware port I
have a problem:

> portinstall iwi-firmware-kmod
** Port marked as IGNORE: net/iwi-firmware-kmod:
        needs fresh iwi(4), install net/iwi-firmware instead

> portinstall iwi-firmware
** Port marked as IGNORE: net/iwi-firmware:
        is configured with iwi(4) support which you don't need

I'm running 6.0-RELEASE-p7

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Joey
flz

Re: FreeBSD Port: iwi-firmware-2.4_7

flz
On Wed, 2006-08-23 at 16:41 -0300, Joey Mingrone wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I'm trying to get an INTEL 2200 wireless card working, but when I try
> to install either the iwi-firmware-kmod or the iwi-firmware port I
> have a problem:
>
> > portinstall iwi-firmware-kmod
> ** Port marked as IGNORE: net/iwi-firmware-kmod:
>         needs fresh iwi(4), install net/iwi-firmware instead
>
> > portinstall iwi-firmware
> ** Port marked as IGNORE: net/iwi-firmware:
>         is configured with iwi(4) support which you don't need
>
> I'm running 6.0-RELEASE-p7
>
> Any suggestions?
What is the output of:

$ cd /usr/ports/net/iwi-firmware && make -V OSVERSION

--
Florent Thoumie
[hidden email]

Re: FreeBSD Port: iwi-firmware-2.4_7

Darren Pilgrim-2
Joey Mingrone wrote:

> I'm trying to get an INTEL 2200 wireless card working, but when I try
> to install either the iwi-firmware-kmod or the iwi-firmware port I
> have a problem:
>
>> portinstall iwi-firmware-kmod
> ** Port marked as IGNORE: net/iwi-firmware-kmod:
>         needs fresh iwi(4), install net/iwi-firmware instead
>
>> portinstall iwi-firmware
> ** Port marked as IGNORE: net/iwi-firmware:
>         is configured with iwi(4) support which you don't need
>
> I'm running 6.0-RELEASE-p7
>
> Any suggestions?

Re net/iwi-firmware-kmod:

        Don't use the iwi-firmware-kmod port, it's deprecated.

Re net/iwi-firmware:

        cd /usr/ports/net/iwi-firmware && make config

        Uncheck the MODULE option.

        Re-run the portinstall command.

--
Darren Pilgrim
flz

On Wed, 2006-08-23 at 13:35 -0700, Darren Pilgrim wrote:

> Joey Mingrone wrote:
> > I'm trying to get an INTEL 2200 wireless card working, but when I try
> > to install either the iwi-firmware-kmod or the iwi-firmware port I
> > have a problem:
> >
> >> portinstall iwi-firmware-kmod
> > ** Port marked as IGNORE: net/iwi-firmware-kmod:
> >         needs fresh iwi(4), install net/iwi-firmware instead
> >
> >> portinstall iwi-firmware
> > ** Port marked as IGNORE: net/iwi-firmware:
> >         is configured with iwi(4) support which you don't need
> >
> > I'm running 6.0-RELEASE-p7
> >
> > Any suggestions?
>
> Re net/iwi-firmware-kmod:
>
> Don't use the iwi-firmware-kmod port, it's deprecated.
Not really, it's the one to use with HEAD and fresh RELENG_6.

> Re net/iwi-firmware:
>
> cd /usr/ports/net/iwi-firmware && make config
>
> Uncheck the MODULE option.
>
> Re-run the portinstall command.

Ah yeah right, thought it was marked as deprecated, read too quickly.

--
Florent Thoumie
[hidden email]

Florent Thoumie wrote:
 > On Wed, 2006-08-23 at 13:35 -0700, Darren Pilgrim wrote:

 >> Re net/iwi-firmware-kmod:
 >>
 >> Don't use the iwi-firmware-kmod port, it's deprecated.
 >
 > Not really, it's the one to use with HEAD and fresh RELENG_6.

Sorry, yeah, I missed the MIN6OSVERSION and MIN7OSVERSION defines and
just read the Makefile for its parent.  Just the same, RELENG_6_0
predates firmware(9).

--
Darren Pilgrim

Re: FreeBSD Port: iwi-firmware-2.4_7

Joey Mingrone

> What is the output of:
>
> $ cd /usr/ports/net/iwi-firmware && make -V OSVERSION

600034

Re: FreeBSD Port: iwi-firmware-2.4_7

Joey Mingrone
Hey guys,

Resetting the configuration did allow me to install iwi-firmware.
Thanks Darren.

I've tried the docs at:
http://damien.bergamini.free.fr/ipw/iwi-freebsd.html but they don't
seem to apply?

I added iwi_enable="YES" to /etc/rc.conf and tried running '>
/etc/rc.d/iwi start' and the output is:

Starting iwi [iwi0:bss]iwicontrol: Can't load firmware to driver:
Device not configured

Any suggestions?  Is there any documentation I'm missing?

Thanks,

Joey
flz

On Thu, 2006-08-24 at 10:13 -0300, Joey Mingrone wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> Resetting the configuration did allow me to install iwi-firmware.
> Thanks Darren.
>
> I've tried the docs at:
> http://damien.bergamini.free.fr/ipw/iwi-freebsd.html but they don't
> seem to apply?
>
> I added iwi_enable="YES" to /etc/rc.conf and tried running '>
> /etc/rc.d/iwi start' and the output is:
>
> Starting iwi [iwi0:bss]iwicontrol: Can't load firmware to driver:
> Device not configured
>
> Any suggestions?  Is there any documentation I'm missing?
What does 'ifconfig iwi0' shows? iwi0 has to exist before you call the
script.

--
Florent Thoumie
[hidden email]

Re: FreeBSD Port: iwi-firmware-2.4_7

Joey Mingrone
> What does 'ifconfig iwi0' shows? iwi0 has to exist before you call the
> script.

No, iwi0 doesn't exist.  Nothing under ifconfig or 'dmesg | grep iwi'
Is the kernel module an option, or should I build a new kenel?
flz

On Fri, 2006-08-25 at 09:54 -0300, Joey Mingrone wrote:
> > What does 'ifconfig iwi0' shows? iwi0 has to exist before you call the
> > script.
> >

> No, iwi0 doesn't exist.  Nothing under ifconfig or 'dmesg | grep iwi'
> Is the kernel module an option, or should I build a new kenel?

Either add if_iwi_load="YES" in /boot/loader.conf or build a new kernel
with "device iwi".

--
Florent Thoumie
[hidden email]