[FreeBSD-Ports-Announce] [HEADS UP] Change to the header in ports Makefiles

[FreeBSD-Ports-Announce] [HEADS UP] Change to the header in ports Makefiles

FreeBSD Ports Management Team Secretary
An idea has been floating around for some time, and it was brought up again
on the ports@ mailing list recently, please remove the extraneous header
information from the Makefile, leaving only the $FreeBSD$ id on the first
line.

It is an idea that is long overdue, so from now on, the other fives lines
shall be removed.

We do request that this be done sparingly in the short term, as we do not
want to cause any additional churn on the repo as we approach our upcoming
Ports Feature Freeze, still tentatively scheduled for September 7.

So please proceed only on existing updates. Please do not do any sweeping
commits until we have the ports tree stablised post 9.1 tagging. Also bear
in mind that Redports/QAT queues a job for every change done to a Makefile,
we do not want to overburden the QAT at this time. It is important to allow
this service to run at peek efficiency at this time to ensure it's full
potential as we approach the upcoming Feature Freeze.

The new look of the Makefile has been document in the Porter's Handbook,
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/quick-porting.html#PORTING-MAKEFILE.

The next item on the todo list is to update devel/newfile for those that do
a port create.

Thomas
on behalf of portmgr@

http://blogs.freebsdish.org/portmgr/2012/09/01/change-to-the-header-in-ports-makefiles/

[FreeBSD-Ports-Announce] Re: [HEADS UP] Change to the header in ports Makefiles

tabthorpe
On Sat, Sep 01, 2012 at 06:42:58AM +0000, Thomas Abthorpe wrote:

> An idea has been floating around for some time, and it was brought up again
> on the ports@ mailing list recently, please remove the extraneous header
> information from the Makefile, leaving only the $FreeBSD$ id on the first
> line.
>
> It is an idea that is long overdue, so from now on, the other fives lines
> shall be removed.
>
> We do request that this be done sparingly in the short term, as we do not
> want to cause any additional churn on the repo as we approach our upcoming
> Ports Feature Freeze, still tentatively scheduled for September 7.
>
> So please proceed only on existing updates. Please do not do any sweeping
> commits until we have the ports tree stablised post 9.1 tagging. Also bear
> in mind that Redports/QAT queues a job for every change done to a Makefile,
> we do not want to overburden the QAT at this time. It is important to allow
> this service to run at peek efficiency at this time to ensure it's full
> potential as we approach the upcoming Feature Freeze.
>
> The new look of the Makefile has been document in the Porter's Handbook,
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/quick-porting.html#PORTING-MAKEFILE.
>
> The next item on the todo list is to update devel/newfile for those that do
> a port create.
>

> Thomas
> on behalf of portmgr@
>

> http://blogs.freebsdish.org/portmgr/2012/09/01/change-to-the-header-in-ports-makefiles/
Cease fire on stripping header information.

Seems there is more to the issue that we will need to resolved before we
proceed, so please update ports normally, please leave the header
intact.

If you have already stripped some headers, leave it alone for now.

Thomas

--
Thomas Abthorpe | FreeBSD Committer
[hidden email] | http://people.freebsd.org/~tabthorpe