[FreeBSD-Ports-Announce] [HEADSUP] current switched by default to pkgng

[FreeBSD-Ports-Announce] [HEADSUP] current switched by default to pkgng

Baptiste Daroussin-2
Hi all,

If you are using the ports tree on a FreeBSD current setup, then you are
concerned by the announce.

As nvidia-drivers has been fixed and is now properly working with pkgng, the
ports tree as been switch by default to use pkgng on FreeBSD Current based on
version >= 1000017 which was the version when we tested the switch code.

Make sure to read UPDATING (from ports) to correctly migrate your system or find
instruction to make your system still running with legacy pkg_install tools.

regards,
Bapt

Re: [FreeBSD-Ports-Announce] [HEADSUP] current switched by default to pkgng

Baptiste Daroussin-2
On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 08:42:39AM -0700, Jeffrey Bouquet wrote:

> [...]
the AFFECT line was updated to specify which version of FreeBSD are concerned.

This also concern people doing an upgrade from v9 to v10, but after the upgrade
to v10.

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 04:52:45PM +0100, Simon L. B. Nielsen wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 2:44 PM, Baptiste Daroussin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > If you are using the ports tree on a FreeBSD current setup, then you are
> > concerned by the announce.
> >
> > As nvidia-drivers has been fixed and is now properly working with pkgng, the
> > ports tree as been switch by default to use pkgng on FreeBSD Current based on
> > version >= 1000017 which was the version when we tested the switch code.
> >
> > Make sure to read UPDATING (from ports) to correctly migrate your system or find
> > instruction to make your system still running with legacy pkg_install tools.
>
> I read UPDATING, but I'm still not sure what this means when I use
> ports and not packages.
>
> Does it mean that I should install pkg to have /var/db/pkg managed,
> but otherwise ports keeps working the same way, or?
>
> --
> Simon L. B. Nielsen
That means you either have to add WITHOUT_PKGNG to you make.conf so that nothing
changes for you

or follow the procedure (which is for ports only) and your local ports will be
managed by pkgng, and you can forget about all the pkg_* tools :)

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 06:25:08PM +0200, Victor Balada Diaz wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 03:44:21PM +0200, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > If you are using the ports tree on a FreeBSD current setup, then you are
> > concerned by the announce.
> >
> > As nvidia-drivers has been fixed and is now properly working with pkgng, the
> > ports tree as been switch by default to use pkgng on FreeBSD Current based on
> > version >= 1000017 which was the version when we tested the switch code.
> >
> > Make sure to read UPDATING (from ports) to correctly migrate your system or find
> > instruction to make your system still running with legacy pkg_install tools.
> >
> > regards,
> > Bapt
>
> Hello Baptiste,
>
> Thanks a lot for your hard work.
>
> I've been using pkgng for a while on 9.0 and it's been a great experience.
>
> Right now you can use pointyhat packages[1] if you use old pkg tools. Is
> there any plan to create binary packages more often than once per release?
>
> Regards.
> Victor.
>
> [1]: http://pointyhat.freebsd.org/errorlogs/amd64-10-packages-latest/
> --
> La prueba más fehaciente de que existe vida inteligente en otros
> planetas, es que no han intentado contactar con nosotros.
Yes there is http://pkg.FreeBSD.org (no website in there no need to try to
there) which will point you to pkgbeta.freebsd.org where some packages resides.

Unfortunatly the package building cluster needs some time to get more reliable
and thus the packages out there are not updated very often.

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 07:11:22PM +0200, Victor Balada Diaz wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 06:31:49PM +0200, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
> > Yes there is http://pkg.FreeBSD.org (no website in there no need to try to
> > there) which will point you to pkgbeta.freebsd.org where some packages resides.
> >
> > Unfortunatly the package building cluster needs some time to get more reliable
> > and thus the packages out there are not updated very often.
> >
> > regards,
> > Bapt
>
> Is there anything we can do to help with build cluster reliability?
>
> Regards.
> Victor.
> --
> La prueba más fehaciente de que existe vida inteligente en otros
> planetas, es que no han intentado contactar con nosotros.
1/ send me motivation :)
2/ if you are willing to code the new version, please contact me in private I'll
share the designs, code repository and how it works.

beware the architecture needed to test is not trivial at all :D

regards,
Bapt

Re: [FreeBSD-Ports-Announce] [HEADSUP] current switched by default to pkgng

Bryan Drewery-6
On 10/10/2012 8:44 AM, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> If you are using the ports tree on a FreeBSD current setup, then you are
> concerned by the announce.
>
> As nvidia-drivers has been fixed and is now properly working with pkgng, the
> ports tree as been switch by default to use pkgng on FreeBSD Current based on
> version >= 1000017 which was the version when we tested the switch code.
>
> Make sure to read UPDATING (from ports) to correctly migrate your system or find
> instruction to make your system still running with legacy pkg_install tools.
>
> regards,
> Bapt

In case anyone missed it. Both ports-mgmt/portmaster and
ports-mgmt/portupgrade will work with PKGNG now. For portmaster, you
will need to select the PKGNGPATCH currently.

The plan is to not require the patch for the next portmaster version, to
support both pkg_install and pkgng out-of-box.

Bryan Drewery
bdrewery@freenode/EFNet

On Sat, Nov 03, 2012 at 12:41:31AM +0400, Lev Serebryakov wrote:

> Hello, Lev.
> You wrote 2 ноября 2012 г., 23:24:28:
>
> BD>> Make sure to read UPDATING (from ports) to correctly migrate your system or find
> BD>> instruction to make your system still running with legacy pkg_install tools.
> LS>  Did somebody update nanobsd scripts? ;-)
>  Simple replacing "pkg_add" with "pkg add" doesn't work ;-)
>
> --
> // Black Lion AKA Lev Serebryakov <[hidden email]>

The BSDmc project (http://code.google.com/p/bsdmc/) uses nanobsd and pkgng, have a look in particular at the
following diff: http://code.google.com/p/bsdmc/source/detail?r=75

Maybe you can find something helpful for you in there :)

regards,
Bapt